The Time Has Come... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

The Time Has Come...

Hello, my name is Brent.

Long time lurker, new member. I have never owned a Lotus. I have had an Esprit model at my house since I was around 10 yrs old. I built it and actually have kept it this whole time. I have had over 40 cars to this date, and have not fallen in love with anything other than one of my AE86's that I basically built from the ground up. To give you an idea of the range of vehicles I have had over the years:

And currently, I am leasing an i3.

After thinking about a lot of cars, I was down to the following cars:

996 Turbo
2018 Subaru STI
2017 Hellcat
2017 4Runner

But I was not in love with any of those cars. I sat in my room thinking about what car I really wanted to own. Not have a couple of years, but OWN. I want a car that I can keep and love. One that gives me a hard time, but that makes the good times the best times. I couldn't think of anything in my price range, or US legal that I really wanted.

Then I looked to my shelf and saw the Esprit I had built as a child. The car is perfect. It is right around the price range I want to spend, extremely unique. Still has modern power for an older vehicle as well. The biggest issue? I have seen one in my life in person. I have never sat in one or spent quality time with it.

So that is why I am here. I want to do research and get to know the group as I look for a car that I can truly fall in love with.

-Brent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanukiPDX View Post
And currently, I am leasing an i3.
Why...why...WHY for the love of God why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanukiPDX View Post
After thinking about a lot of cars, I was down to the following cars:

996 Turbo
2018 Subaru STI
2017 Hellcat
2017 4Runner
That's a pretty diverse list of cars right there. The current 4 Runner looks like a storm trooper, if you are into that Star Wars look I guess it's OK.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange - See Pics and Mods in My Garage (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post

You can dump on the i3 all you want, but for a commuter car, they are incredible. Plus there is so much tech on the car it is a pretty cool vehicle for a lease.

Thanks for the welcome. These cars are so awesome, I just have never prioritized getting one.

I like to try new stuff out and see what sticks. I have actually owned over 40 vehicles and I am 32. I am not saying they have all been the nicest most expensive cars, but I have bought them for whatever reason and gotten my use out of them.

1951 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
1979 BMW 528i
1986 BMW 325
2004 Pontiac GTO
2003 Subaru WRX
2006 Honda CBR
1987 Toyota SR5 Coupe
1987 Toyota GTS Coupe
2007 Subaru STI
1985 Toyota GTS Hatch
1986 Toyota GTS Coupe
1984 Toyota SR5 Hatch (Also the one car I miss)
2004 Honda Civic SI
2008 Subaru STI
2009 Yamaha R1
2006 BMW K1200R
1971 Datsun 240z with RB26
1993 Ford E350
1995 Chevrolet S10 SS
1987 Toyota SR5 Coupe
2005 Mini Cooper S
1985 Toyota GTS Hatch
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
1999 Subaru Postal Legacy
1997 Volkswagen Golf
2005 Mini Cooper S
2011 Mini Countryman ALL4 S
1981 Mini City
1998 Mini Cooper
1997 Nissan 240sx Full Race Car LS1
2001 Subaru 2.5 RS
2004 BMW M3
2002 Subaru WRX (04 STI full swap and built motor)
2009 Volkswagen Jetta
2013 Toyota FRS (Factory damage car had to be replaced with new one)
2013 Toyota FRS
2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1098
2006 BMW M3 ZCP
2006 Mini Cooper S
2013 BMW M3 (Mint Green 1 of 1)
2014 BMW i3
2015 BMW i3
2016 Mini Countryman All4 S
2015 BMW S1000RR
2016 BMW R1200GS

Currently I have the i3, My wife has the Countryman, and I also have the GS still.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
^^^That's an impressive list @TanukiPDX and nice to see a young guy that has owned some old carbureted cars (I own a restored 1964 turbo Corvair). I wasn't dumping just making the typical hybrid car jokes, no offense intended. I have no doubt the i3 is great at what it's intended for. Cheers!

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange - See Pics and Mods in My Garage (Disclaimer-I am a novice and pretend to know just enough to be dangerous (I have the scars to prove it). By reading my post you accept that I am not responsible for any bodily harm, mental anguish, material and/or monetary losses that may result from anything you choose to do based upon my shared experiences.)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
^^^That's an impressive list @TanukiPDX and nice to see a young guy that has owned some old carbureted cars (I own a restored 1964 turbo Corvair). I wasn't dumping just making the typical hybrid car jokes, no offense intended. I have no doubt the i3 is great at what it's intended for. Cheers!
Lol not a problem! You are welcome to take her around the block if you are ever out in oregon! It's a lease, so you can drive her like you stole her
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:

That's a pretty diverse list of cars right there. The current 4 Runner looks like a storm trooper, if you are into that Star Wars look I guess it's OK.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdLifeTillIDie View Post

Nick____________
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM

I really suggest you drive an Esprit, it'll make or break your need for one. I was the latter, having gotten my opportunity after I had driven/owned cars that fit me much better. Sad really, missing my chance, I love the look.

2006 Exige
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

I do like storm troopers!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
I really suggest you drive an Esprit, it'll make or break your need for one. I was the latter, having gotten my opportunity after I had driven/owned cars that fit me much better. Sad really, missing my chance, I love the look.
^^^^This^^^^

You cannot over research buying an Esprit. As much as they all look pretty much alike, it's important to understand the differences, beyond simply being a G body or Stevens car, and the 4 cylinders and V8's (if I've already confused you, you've got a long way to go).

As to their having modern power, hmmm...the 4 cylinder engine design is 40 years old now. When it went fuel injected, it was with a now woefully out of date GM system.

Assuming you've wrenched on that impressive list of cars, then you're not of the feint of heart, but know that you could look at an Esprit that looks immaculate in every way, with low miles (although it's easy to set the miles back on one) only to have it break your heart with expensive repair after expensive repair because the prior owner neglected the proper care, or couldn't afford it.

If you get one truly sorted and properly cared for, they are a wonderful car...assuming YOU accept the responsibility of continuing that care at all costs.

If you get one that hasn't been properly loved, or you don't have the skills and/or the resources to make it right and keep it right, well, the old adage about the two best days of owning a Lotus will be painfully real to you.

Have owned, enjoyed, appreciated, and now all gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White (my first)
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)

Last edited by 4380r; 02-16-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 PM

There are a few Esprit owners in the Portland area. Join up with Club Lotus Northwest Club Lotus Northwest ? Serving Southwest Washington and Oregon and ask around to see or get a ride in a few.

You might try to get ahold of Guy, Guy's Lotus Page He is also in the Portland area and has been rebuilding v8 Esprits so should know a thing or two about them. He is on here as @toomanyespritsguy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Thank you. I have to agree that a ride in one would help. My brother who is 6'4 said he couldn't fit in one when he was looking. The overall ride/ feel could be bad I have never even considered it. I just though that if it were a rough ride, that's what I am used to. I actually got to drive a testarossa a couple of years ago, and to your point, I HATED it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
^^^^This^^^^....
That is really the scary part. You are fishing and just never know what you are getting. I will absolutely pay for transport and pre purchase inspection before I go crazy and buy something.

I have wrenched on a lot of cars, but I have a feeling that I will still have to my fair share of relationship building experiences with the car. Isn't that part of why you buy a car like this though? I bought that 2013 M3 brand new and I never loved her. She was way too easy for me. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedR View Post
There are a few Esprit owners in the Portland area. Join up with Club Lotus Northwest Club Lotus Northwest ? Serving Southwest Washington and Oregon and ask around to see or get a ride in a few.

You might try to get ahold of Guy, Guy's Lotus Page He is also in the Portland area and has been rebuilding v8 Esprits so should know a thing or two about them. He is on here as @toomanyespritsguy
If you could help me with this, I would absolutely be indebted to you. I have seen one in my life and would love to get to know the group and ride in one. Even just the chance to sit in one would probably be enough.

Thank you all for the great welcome. If nothing else, I am buying into a a great actually active forum now lol.

We will see what happens as I research. Maybe I will end up being your friend without a lotus I like toyotas too, so I may end up in an exige...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.