Yet Another Effin' Newb - Los Angeles - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Yet Another Effin' Newb - Los Angeles

Hi! Yeah, I'm another newb here. Don't own a Lotus right now. I'm here to do some research and determine if getting an Elise is something I want to do. Fear not! I will not ask if one can DD this car. I promise. Neither shall I ask if driving a mid-engined vehicle is much different from typical front or rear-mounted engine cars. I promise I will also use search.

I am only just learning about the Elise at this point. I hope I don't ask any totally stupid questions, but in the event that I do, I sincerely hope you will be patient with me. I can take a bit of good-natured ribbing as appropriate though.

Current fun car is an '07 Honda S2000. Done a track day or two. An autocross or two. All for fun. I organize a monthly drive up in the canyons of the Santa Monica Mountains and it's a pleasant time of it. Non-denominational group mostly, but it does seem to be largely Hondas and Acuras. I won't go on and on about my Honda because, while I do love the car immensely, this is a Lotus forum and it's bad form to gush about a non-Lotus car in a Lotus forum. Just like you wouldn't go gush about a Camaro in a Mustang forum. Well, okay, perhaps that isn't exactly analogous, but you get the idea.

I currently reside on the west side of Los Angeles so I guess I should be reading the California Regional section of this site a bit as well.

So I have been perusing for sale ads from various sources and I came across this one that is quite interesting. Lotus : Elise 190 in Lotus | eBay Motors Likely it is out of my range anyway (I am sure the reserve must be significantly higher than the current bid that is listed), but oh my it's a pretty one! Owner appears to be of similar mind-set as me when it comes to keeping a car mostly OEM (nothing against others modding their cars if that's what they want to do... but for myself I'm pretty much a stock kind of gal). I am curious if anyone here knows the owner or if the owner is a member of this forum?

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. Hope you are all having a reasonably tolerable Monday. :-)

RMurphy
aka Roseanne

Last edited by RMurphy; 10-08-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: forgot to wave hi!
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

welcome... hope you find the car you like. We are very friendly on this forum you can ask any question you like. (as long as the question wasnt asked 23243235 times before, cause then you might get a "face palm" from some members
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
Hi! Yeah, I'm another newb here. Don't own a Lotus right now. I'm here to do some research and determine if getting an Elise is something I want to do. Fear not! I will not ask if one can DD this car. I promise. Neither shall I ask if driving a mid-engined vehicle is much different from typical front or rear-mounted engine cars. I promise I will also use search.
I like her already.
Further proof that women rock!
Welcome. (From another "I like to keep my car basically stock" kinda gal from the Westside.
sb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marius880 View Post
...as long as the question wasnt asked 23243235 times before...
Gotcha. I'll either have to break out my clicker thingee or maybe the search function will allow a criteria that returns total number of instances so I can make sure I keep my questions to subjects that have only been covered 23243234 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb67 View Post
I like her already.
:-D Thanks for the warm welcomes!

So much to learn about these cars. I suppose I should be happy I didn't fall in love with the looks of a Porsche (I merely lust after them, but don't want to marry one, you know?). I understand the available option combos on those things can be quite mind-boggling. But I digress. I am thinking I like the 2006-2010 Elise models at this point, but I'm basing that on only the minimalistic knowledge I have so far and the fact that I just like the looks of 'em. I can't explain it, but in pics so far, the 2011 and 2012 models are not blowing my skirt up. Personal preference I guess. And then there is price, naturally.

My biggest question is going to be if I can actually get myself in and out of one of these things. I'm of moderate height for a female (5'4") and I have no real issue getting in and out of my Honda, 'cept that sometimes if I don't angle well my hips get kind of wedged between the side bolster and the steering wheel. It's somewhat comical. I have already been warned I should give up the idea of short skirts if I do get an Elise. Which is fine with me. I think I can deal with that trade-off particularly if I land in one with leather seats (think sunny hot summer days and it will make sense).
Old 10-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome.

I put 165K miles on my Spa Yellow AP1 S2000. Currently have a AP2 S2000 07 Rio Yellow which is the beater,/airport car (sits in airport parking lots most of its life).

This is a great site. I would recommend getting an Elise/Exige with the Touring wheels. Best of the bunch.

Seats
My S2000 seats get a lot hotter than the Elise. The way the Elise seats are (much more INBOARD in the car), due to the way the sills are, doesn't get as hot. Also nobody steals Elise seats like they steal S2000 seats.

skirt Only two women ripped their skirts getting out of my Elise, both didn't listen to my instructions--then again I need to start hanging out with smarter women.

I have had other women, who got in and out with no issues wearing skirts.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
My biggest question is going to be if I can actually get myself in and out of one of these things. I'm of moderate height for a female (5'4") and I have no real issue getting in and out of my Honda, 'cept that sometimes if I don't angle well my hips get kind of wedged between the side bolster and the steering wheel. It's somewhat comical. I have already been warned I should give up the idea of short skirts if I do get an Elise. Which is fine with me. I think I can deal with that trade-off particularly if I land in one with leather seats (think sunny hot summer days and it will make sense).
It'll require a little practice before it becomes second nature, but you seem smart enough to figure it out.

I'm 5'4", and have to move the seat all the way back to get in/out so I don't get wedged in as you mentioned. I sit close enough that my knees get locked under the steering wheel otherwise.
I had surgery on both legs last year, and still managed to get and out of the car--in a skirt--without exposing anything I wasn't supposed to. Have also mastered short skirts and heels getting in and out of the car. And keep in mind, my car isn't topless. If you get an Elise, and drive without the top on, you won't have any trouble with ingress/egress.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome aboard and thanks for the due diligence! I reckon that introduction has bought you 10 penalty-free stupid questions.

You've picked a good time to buy, as a lot of us think the market has bottomed on the 2005/2006 models since the Elige line has been discontinued in the U.S. and Lotus's future is uncertain. There are still plenty of stellar examples out there. Always do a VIN search on a prospective purchase - sometimes a good looking car can have quite a dodgy history and it's usually well documented here.

While the folks in the northeast are preparing to mothball their Lotus's for the winter, the weather is finally turning mild out here and you can enjoy the next few months with the top down, wind in your hair, exhaust note in your ear and barely a single bug splattered on the windshield. It'll be glorious, I guarantee you.

Having said that, I can't stand to drive mine in the city and I'm lucky enough to live a stone's throw from the main exit from Los Angeles (the Newhall Pass). With your S2000 I'm sure you're well versed in the perils of driving below most people's radar. With the Elise keep in mind that it will crush twice as easily and incur expensive damage with half the impact. With that in mind, don't shy away from the many 'flash' colors that are available (chrome orange, saffron yellow, krypton green, etc..). They could well save your life.
Larini SE Exhaust LETSLA shift kit Exige Seats LSS Wheels
Lift Point Kit and Jack Helper
Difflow 5-Element Diffusor
ErictheBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

ETB (Esq.): Yeah, I've got the whole concept of driving like no one sees me down pat, even though my S2000 is freaking school bus yellow. Drove a couple of Miatas before the S so I get the idea of being one of the smallest or least visible cars on the road. I'm not afraid of a bit of color in my car, but I confess the krypton green isn't my favorite.

Been reading through the threads and I do see there is a fragility factor that was non-existent with my previous vehicles. I also have to confirm an Elise nose would clear my driveway. Not exactly sure how to measure that, to tell you the truth.

I did see that the future of Lotus is currently in a bit of doubt. While that concerns me a little, I also realize that if you always place the safe bets, you will always have a "safe" experience. But *completely* safe.... well, life is a risk you take every morning. Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias! to quote one of my favorite movies.

SB67 and LCC: I'm sure I can figure out the human origami aspect of entering and exiting the vehicle, if I want the thing badly enough. I think the suggested moving of the seat will probably have to become part of the ritual. And topless is my preference in cars at present. Been driving convertibles for a lot of years now and somehow I'm just not done with them yet. So a soft-top remains part of my plan. If whatever I find comes with the hard top, great, but it would definitely come off after March and not go back on until maybe November or December -- SoCal's version of winter and a rainy season.

LCC: I am pretty sure that Shigeru Uehara would be heartbroken to hear of the airport occupying status of your AP2. I drive mine like he meant it to be driven.

Thanks again all for being so welcoming!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Oh, I'm so screwed. I just looked in the Marketplace section. There's a red 2005 Elise and a yellow 2005 Elise. Both look quite nice. Oh I'm in trouble. I think the red one actually smiled at me.

Yellow one is in Illinois. Red one is in Michigan. That makes for interesting logistics... or a really cool cross country roadtrip. Damn. I didn't expect to stumble upon something nice so quickly.

Somebody please tell me that both of those cars are bad deals. Please... somebody save me from myself here. LOL! I'm joking, of course (and being ultra silly here), but someone *would* tell me if they knew something insider-like, I hope.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hi! Yeah, I'm another newb here. Don't own a Lotus right now. I'm here to do some research and determine if getting an Elise is something I want to do.
you are going about this the correct way!

i spent nearly a year on the forums researching everything i could before finally pulling the trigger... so i knew what i was getting into & what to expect prior to buying

also, Google searching the forums seems to yield better results than the search function on the site...
Old 10-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

No offense to the Midwest owners here but you really don't want a Midwest car. I was there for 15 years and I laugh every time one of my Cali buddies looks at any car with any sign it even saw water or condensation once in its life and call it a rust bucket. What is considered normal wear and tear for a garage queen is considered good to poor condition in California. That is why I found a California car before I flee the state.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Wmangm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

I'm fairly new as I just finally bought an Elise after a year of researching... Most of what you read is true so its not hard to get an idea, go-kart is a good description IMO. Regardless with your history you will be fine I'm sure.

I just purchased mine and drove it from Cali - Ohio, it was a great trip and experience if you can afford it from work as its was quite a cheap trip!

Lastly the guy with the white Elise does list his #, you could call, txt or email him maybe through ebay and just simply ask what he is asking. Just cause its on ebay doesn't mean he will sell it there or even has to. I'd imagine he is asking more on Ebay than what he would in person and mostly is there for advertising.

GOOD LUCK!
Hextavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Talking i am new also

hey, pleasure to meet you and awesome to meet a fellow lotus enthusiast who lives around the area. =]
Like you i own a s2000 which i recently gave to my younger brother and making into a track car. My beater is a rsx type-s, but i hope to buy a used lotus elise or a na1 nsx... it just depends on circumstance and money.lol
all i know is that it is rare to hear off a lady that likes the canyons, but then again this is so cal...especially l.a where we are blessed to have many pics of awesome canyons/rodes.
well hope you get a lotus soon and hope i can get the pleasure of going to the canyons with you for a drive.
alexxgdc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
The King Is Dead

Welcome! First of all, I like the cut of your jib! I see a good sense of humor and a bit of silliness. That goes well here!

As noted, any question you do ask will have been asked 100 times, but be patient. You will find 'use the fekkin' search button' Nazis on this forum, but most are very happy to help. The good news is that ANY bit of information you need is readily available.

A couple of things:

- Where exactly are you located? LA I think. There are many active members in most places and I'm sure most would be happy to assist - show you the car, check your driveway, etc. Check the region section where you are located and pop in. Most will be more than happy to show you their cars, mods, etc. There's usually a good Lotus turnout at most supercar/cars and coffee events.

- You are a female and as such, you will have dorks hitting on you via the interwebz, so just be ready. Check the 'post a picture of yourself' thread and see a bunch of dudes go batty for a chick with tattoos!

- In looking at any car, make sure you assess the mods. Most of the cars have been modified somewhat. Get a list of them and find out who did the mods.

- Re: Midwest cars. Sorry, but I completely disagree. These are aluminum and fiberglass cars. Rust isn't an issue. Corrosion most likely isn't as most of us store our cars in winter. Might even be a benefit as it will have fewer miles since it's parked for 4-5 months. In addition, most of us in IL/IN/WI have our cars wrenched by TJ (twaszak1 on the forum) - he's like the Lotus whisperer (but don't tell him that or his big head will get bigger) and as such, they've been properly sorted. Honestly, I might be more concerned about a Mojave Desert area car (sand + paint)?

- The driving experience of these cars is like no other. It may be THE greatest 'smiles for the miles' car of our generation. That being said, the Elise's weak link is the S2000's strength - the gearbox. Frankly, the shifter throw/feel of the S2000 is like Kate Beckinsale perfect, whereas it's a bit dodgy in the Elise. For someone coming from another car, no biggie, but coming from an S2000, it may be a bit of an issue, however it's made up for in soooo many other ways. Check to see if the previous owner did the Sector111 shift reinforce mod. Makes a big difference. Adding Jim Clayton's 'big ball' shifter knob also makes a huge difference.

- Lotus Cars - yeah, they are a sh*t show right now. However, I wouldn't let that impact you. You'll most likely be buying a used car that is out of warranty. The issue would be cosmetic/body parts - for example, if you get hit and need a new rear clam - will they be available? Mechanically, not a huge deal as we are talking about (mostly) Toyota parts. I don't really know of one person that has sold their car because of the mess that Lotus is in. I could see a person deciding NOT to buy a NEW Evora from a dealer because of that, but a used '05 Elise? Nah.

Good luck and keep us posted!
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, carpeted interior. 100% awesome.
-'69 Leyland MiniMoke - FOR SALE. PM if Interested
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post

skirt Only two women ripped their skirts getting out of my Elise, both didn't listen to my instructions--then again I need to start hanging out with THESE women.

Fixed it for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com Free App
plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotuscupcar View Post
skirt Only two women ripped their skirts getting out of my Elise, both didn't listen to my instructions--then again I need to start hanging out with smarter women.

I was already able to give her a demonstration that once you know your car, you can easily and gracefully get in and out of the car in a short skirt and heels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
- Where exactly are you located? LA I think. There are many active members in most places and I'm sure most would be happy to assist - show you the car, check your driveway, etc. Check the region section where you are located and pop in. Most will be more than happy to show you their cars, mods, etc. There's usually a good Lotus turnout at most supercar/cars and coffee events.
Already on it. The only thing better than one female in a Lotus is two females in a Lotus. Hopefully we can take the bee out next weekend to playyyyy. But the forecast was calling for rain on Sunday.

Quote:
The driving experience of these cars is like no other. It may be THE greatest 'smiles for the miles' car of our generation. That being said, the Elise's weak link is the S2000's strength - the gearbox. Frankly, the shifter throw/feel of the S2000 is like Kate Beckinsale perfect, whereas it's a bit dodgy in the Elise. For someone coming from another car, no biggie, but coming from an S2000, it may be a bit of an issue, however it's made up for in soooo many other ways. Check to see if the previous owner did the Sector111 shift reinforce mod. Makes a big difference. Adding Jim Clayton's 'big ball' shifter knob also makes a huge difference.
There are other, better ways to improve shifter feel. I haven't done them yet, as there are more important things to worry about with these cars. While I miss some 3-4 and 4-3 shifts on track, I'm not worried about my rear toe links popping a wheel off my car.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Welcome. The Lotus is a car. Like any other car. It has its eccentricities and quirks, but it's a car. Figure out if you fit it and it feels good when you drive it and if it works for you. If you live on the westside, figure that the streets are sometimes in desperate need of repair and that parking is not always optimal. Driving it in traffic ain't bad because the clutch is light and the shift action is fine.

Like any other car, it is what you expect out of it versus what it is. Be realistic about matching both up and you won't be disappointed. Try to make it into something it's not, you will be disappointed. Very simple.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
"I will not ask if one can DD this car. I promise. "

lol Why not? That's the first question you should ask if you're really serious about buying an Else. Fortunately there are a lot of very helpful people on here that will surely point you in the right direction!

In all seriousness you sound like you want this car, just get it. Used Elises have held their value very well, so you really have nothing to lose if it turns out to be not your cup of tea.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxgdc5 View Post
hey, pleasure to meet you and awesome to meet a fellow lotus enthusiast who lives around the area. =] ...
well hope you get a lotus soon and hope i can get the pleasure of going to the canyons with you for a drive.
Hi! Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm driving a school bus yellow S2000, license plate SIFO. I'm hard to miss when I'm out there in the canyons. :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Welcome! First of all, I like the cut of your jib! ...
Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I'm in LA. Been making the acquaintance of a few folks and learning more about these beautiful cars. Thanks for all the details and your point of view! Much appreciated. One thing you definitely don't need to worry about with me, though, is the uninitiated female in the male dominated online forum issue. I'm no spring chicken and this definitely isn't my first rodeo. In more recent years, I've been on the S2000 forums pretty extensively. I also happen to work in the IT field, so I completely get what you mean about the sometimes overly receptive behavior I might encounter. :-D No worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb67 View Post
Already on it. The only thing better than one female in a Lotus is two females in a Lotus. Hopefully we can take the bee out next weekend to playyyyy.
Looking forward to it whenever timing and weather allows for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Welcome. The Lotus is a car. Like any other car. It has its eccentricities and quirks, but it's a car. Figure out if you fit it and it feels good when you drive it and if it works for you.
Thanks. That is actually my plan and has been from the git-go. :-) I need to get my a$$ in a seat or two and decide if this is a car I want to own. I already know I enjoy my S2000 and I just have to find out if I will enjoy an Elise equally or more so.

I'm on the Westside. I'm the one who posted the EOM drive info. :-) Nate came out for the drive and very kindly let me try my hand at the origami maneuvers of getting in and out of the car. I didn't embarrass myself too badly, but I lack a certain level of finesse which I figure comes with practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
"I will not ask if one can DD this car. I promise. "

lol Why not? That's the first question you should ask...
Since it wouldn't be my daily driver, I'll leave that question to those who actually want to know about that. And besides, it's kind of a useless question unless the asker defines his or her individual context. One person's daily drive is another person's stroll in the park and yet another person's nightmare, pothole-dodging, snow-laden adventure. Enough people show up on the S2000 forums asking that exact same question and we all get a good laugh out of it because one person asking could be from San Diego while another person asking could be from Caribou, Maine. The answer would be different depending on driver, environment, and purpose.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

First, besides the interest in a Lotus I like your humor. Anyway, you shouldn't have a problem driving a late model Lotus since you know how to rev a car engine already (S2000). Get used to a little crisper steering and less weight to carry in & out of turns. That should be easy, too. B4 I bought my Elise in 2005 I put about 265K miles on a MR2 Turbo - with great pleasure. The switch from the MR2 to the 111R was no problem. Also, I find no issues with abusing my Elise as a daily driver. But then, again, I am fairly short in stature and I have no problem with ingress and egress (despite the fact that I carry an AARP card ...). There are so many pre-owned cars out there and I'm sure you find the right one for you. Have fun driving your own. Who knows, we might see you down the road and go for a fun run together.
TCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here