Does a wrecked car have to be taken to the towing company's lot? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
ERP

Does a wrecked car have to be taken to the towing company's lot?

Nothing wrong with my Lotus thankfully, but I've had wrecked cars towed in the past and dealing with the tow company has always been a problem and expensive. So my question, is there any reason you can not have your wrecked Lotus towed to your house?

The main reason for doing this is that I have a lot of custom parts on my Elise. If it was seriously damaged I would like to swap out my carbon fiber interior before the insurance company takes possession of it. Rather than fight them for the value of the upgrades.

I know that the tow truck driver wants to take the car to their lot because they make most of their profit from the daily storage fee.

Has anyone here taken their car to their house after an accident?
2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Track Pack Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
Tesla S P85D - Mid March Deliver
ERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

my friend wrecked his viper and had it sitting in his warehouse for a month or two
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had it taken to my friends "shop". The appraiser came there and I took care of everything myself
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mulholland>SCC

No, you do not have to have it towed to their lot.
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

short answer is no, you don't.

I had a wrecked toyota towed to my job's parking lot. No problem, just ask the guy.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Until you have made a final settlement with your insurance company YOU should control where the car goes. This is especially true if you have installed aftermarket upgrades that the insurance company will not recognize for value (such as aftermarket superchargers, etc.)

Most policies will only reimburse for stock condition or for specifically disclosed and covered upgrades. Therefore, if you have an undisclosed aftermarket part of great value you should remove and replace it with a stock part if possible before you settle with insurance. Your only responsibility is to leave the car with all the parts that were disclosed for coverage.

That said, some undisclosed performance upgrades may be cause for a claim dispute with some insurance companies. Be aware of this before you upgrade.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

No, some states have Police tows, but even then you can get your car from that lot and have it towed wherever you want.

Note the tow guy will NOT be happy about towing anywhere but his lot.

In my state you can get your own tow and don't have to use the one the cops call.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Unless things have changed a lot, you can have it towed wherever you want. Your insurance company might want it at their inspection location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERP View Post
Nothing wrong with my Lotus thankfully, but I've had wrecked cars towed in the past and dealing with the tow company has always been a problem and expensive. So my question, is there any reason you can not have your wrecked Lotus towed to your house?

The main reason for doing this is that I have a lot of custom parts on my Elise. If it was seriously damaged I would like to swap out my carbon fiber interior before the insurance company takes possession of it. Rather than fight them for the value of the upgrades.

I know that the tow truck driver wants to take the car to their lot because they make most of their profit from the daily storage fee.

Has anyone here taken their car to their house after an accident?
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I believe the only issue that would prevent being towed to a private residence is if it is leaking any fluid. If it is leaking you have to tow it to a specialized tow yard that can contain spills.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
I believe the only issue that would prevent being towed to a private residence is if it is leaking any fluid. If it is leaking you have to tow it to a specialized tow yard that can contain spills.
... in a place like California.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
Most policies will only reimburse for stock condition or for specifically disclosed and covered upgrades. Therefore, if you have an undisclosed aftermarket part of great value you should remove and replace it with a stock part if possible before you settle with insurance. Your only responsibility is to leave the car with all the parts that were disclosed for coverage.

That said, some undisclosed performance upgrades may be cause for a claim dispute with some insurance companies. Be aware of this before you upgrade.
Just make sure its not YOU that caused the wreck. THEIR policy would have no such discloser.
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard