fu@K, Sh!+, CR^P! DAMAGE!!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
qball

fu@K, Sh!+, CR^P! DAMAGE!!!!

Update 12/4/06

Only one month later, we have come to a settlement agreement

Goodyear and their insurance were extremely coooperative and fair in their handling of my claim. Thank you Goodyear.

UPDATE: 11/10/06

Car has been deemed totaled.

According to their claims department, it's now up to Goodyear's Legal Department and their Insurance to make a determination as to handle the vehicle.

First of all, I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to except stick around and watch.

Dropped my Elise off to the local Goodyear shop to have new F1G3s installed. My Father-in-law is the service manager and has been for 10 years. He is out on medical leave, but he met me at the shop this morning, because he understands the uniqueness of the car.

I handed them the tire tools and opened the Owner's Manual to the jacking instructions so they would be clear. We went over all the instructions and they assured me I was in good hands.

We (my father-in-law and I both left)

1 hour later I get a call about the "accident" and that I needed to come down...

WTF!

So this is what I found...

It get's better. They said they read the manual, but not to the point where it spoke about the 4-point lift. After the crash, they continued reading. Yipee for me.

The damage is inclusive of the rear clam, front clam, underneath the driver's door, and a nice puncture through the bottom diffuser around the passenger seat area.

More pics here... http://www.my914-6.com/crap

When I was there, they had a wrecker attached with a winch to the front end so it wouldn't come crashing down. After it cleared the lift, the front end swung around and crashed into some tool chests.

I'm mostly worried about the rear structure... the puncture underneath and the loss of value of the car (it's paid off free and clear)!

I've already called Dimmit in Clearwater and they are expecting the vehicle. Goodyear has filed the claim with their carrier and has promised to fully cover the repair. Luckly my FIL was there as a witness.

What else do I need to be concerned about in the repair/insurance claim? Diminished value, loss of use (not my primary vehicle), etc.

Dammit!!!! And I have the Central Florida Lotus Fun Run on Saturday which I've been organizing. Guess I'll have to drive the 911.

Last edited by qball; 12-05-2006 at 05:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry man!!!! Just find out if there's any frame damage underneath.
1967 vw bus, walkthrough: 1966 vw bus : 1963 vw double cab
daily driver --> Bianchi Pista
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qball
First of all, I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to except stick around and watch.

Dropped my Elise off to the local Goodyear shop to have new F1G3s installed. My Father-in-law is the service manager and has been for 10 years. He is out on medical leave, but he met me at the shop this morning, because he understands the uniqueness of the car.

I handed them the tire tools and opened the Owner's Manual to the jacking instructions so they would be clear. We went over all the instructions and they assured me I was in good hands.

We (my father-in-law and I both left)

1 hour later I get a call about the "accident" and that I needed to come down...

WTF!

So this is what I found...

It get's better. They said they read the manual, but not to the point where it spoke about the 4-point lift. After the crash, they continued reading. Yipee for me.

The damage is inclusive of the rear clam, front clam, underneath the driver's door, and a nice puncture through the bottom diffuser around the passenger seat area.

More pics here... http://www.my914-6.com/crap

When I was there, they had a wrecker attached with a winch to the front end so it wouldn't come crashing down. After it cleared the lift, the front end swung around and crashed into some tool chests.

I'm mostly worried about the rear structure... the puncture underneath and the loss of value of the car (it's paid off free and clear)!

I've already called Dimmit in Clearwater and they are expecting the vehicle. Goodyear has filed the claim with their carrier and has promised to fully cover the repair. Luckly my FIL was there as a witness.

What else do I need to be concerned about in the repair/insurance claim? Diminished value, loss of use (not my primary vehicle), etc.

Dammit!!!! And I have the Central Florida Lotus Fun Run on Saturday which I've been organizing. Guess I'll have to drive the 911.
OUCH! I was so afraid about mine, when I had work done, I made sure they used a low-profile speedjack and do it the old fashioned way.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

holy cow!
2008 M-B C63 AMG
2002 Honda S2000
1997 BMW 318 iC
t65tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I feel your pain!
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

That suck, how will you know if the frame has damage, I 'd want a new car. I think about that ever time I bring my car some place.
MitchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

WTF!!!???

SO SORRY! What a nightmare.

I'd want to know that the frame is 100%. Probably is. Then I would go after diminished value. This might be one of those cases where I'd recommend calling Lance Coren to make sure you get exactly what you deserve.
Matte Black, Sport, Touring, ***** intake (TBA), RAC Mono wheels, Painted Shift knob, smoked turn signals, Alpine SPS 6.5" rear speakers, MB Quarts, JVC Nav, Starshield, LBH exhaust, Dpic perf. gauge, Custom true HID projectors, GUT wing and splitter, Mesh side pods, Sector111 harness bar and 4-point harness, Lotus Sport Ohlins double-adjustable suspension, swaybar, '06 LED tailights, Toda flywheel, Lotusport interior.
Serebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Oh no. That is awful. I am so sorry. I would have had a heart attack.

Based on this, NO should ever let any one touch these cars unless they have worked on them before - consult your dealer first.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Please tell me this a A ****ing joke - OMFG I am in shock. this puts you in a messed up position, If you didn't have a family member there I would be off the handle worse than you are. I know a great shop that specializes in full restorations and does ALOT of fiberglass work!
So sorry to see this.
Nick
ZTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sorry about your car, what a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpforyou
OUCH! I was so afraid about mine, when I had work done, I made sure they used a low-profile speedjack and do it the old fashioned way.
Sensible. When I got a local tyre place to change mine I stayed around and made them use a floor jack. They still needed a bit of help even with that.
Crudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

All my nightmares of going to a non-Lotus shop were summed up all too well in your photographs. I wouldn't want to fathom what all could've been damaged on the car (yes, I'm one of those, "it'll never drive the same after a wreck" guys).

I'm in shock.

I hope this ends well, and hopefully with a new Lotus for you.
PhlypSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Now that is what I call a bad day. I have my own lifts and that is one of my biggest fears whenever someone lifts a car. Be thankful it was in their shop and on their insurance
Old 11-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Un-freaking believable!

Now with added all natural smoky goodness!
slaughtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

My god, I feel sick! I always bring my unique cars wheels in myself, I don't trust tire shops.
dma550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

The retards probably looked at the stickers on the bottom of your car to base the jacking points, making the car rear-heavy.

I had a local garage jack my Elise up few months ago and they almost did the same thing. Well not almost, the owner was smart enough to realize that the car look like it was teetering when it was 2 feet off the ground.

Sorry to hear about the car......good luck.

John
nugg_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Wow! I added up just the visual, and I expect the bill to be 16K. That's just for the visual.

I never let any shops near the car other than Lotus dealers. For tires I bring in wheel and tires and tell them what to do. I won't even let them put tires on the car because they'll overtorque them!

You confirmed our worst nightmares about third party shops. I hope carfax doesn't ding you. I'd be most worried about that. Someday you will sell the car, and you don't want a big black mark on her...
2013 Jeep wrangler
1994 Miata street car
1996 Miata race car, 1991 BMW race car
Surferjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

that's awful, i am so sorry.

somewhat related story: i needed new rubber put on my elise last week before a track day. i had it done at big o tires. i brought the wheels in only to avoid precisely this type of mishap. i told big o to be careful of the wheels when mounting tires since i had some other wheels get scratched by a dealer previously. i also told big o that since i planned to take the car to the track the balancing needed to be spot on and to please doublecheck it, etc.

so i am driving to the track and the car is noticebly shaking at higher speed. once at the track i explained the situation to one of the skip barber school mechanics and asked if he could check my wheel balance. 3 out of 4 wheels were way off! he was kind enough to take care of it for me.

bottom line: do you own work whenever possible!
powerbookguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about this!

The picture is a classic though!

Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Sucks - Looks like a chassis swap or a new car is in order.
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
codymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #20 (permalink)

danggggggg, that has got to suck. Sorry about your car. After a while, it looked kinda funny seeing an Elise standing on it's hind legs.

05 Mag Blue Elise - And Now BWR SC'ed. Larini Silenced De-cat + Exhaust with SE tip, Euro Grill, DC Header, Gut Spoiler, Reverie Front Splitter, Pheonix Gold Audio System, V1/w Concealer, LidBone, JL Stealth Box, Driving lights, Micro Mirror, 4Tress Harness Bar, 5pt Schroth Racing Harness, Seat Grommets, Front + Rear Sector111 Toe Hooks, Battery bracket, Xenon HID Kit. Personal site: www.pugsby.com
peahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard