Going to check out this 05 elise. opinions pls - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Going to check out this 05 elise. opinions pls

its selling for 15k. only cosmetic damage (looks like it was just rear ended). 35k miles. im going to look at it tomorrow. it would be a dedicated track car until i fix the back end. im looking for a car for the track but i dont know a ton about lotus except i like them a lot.

my questions:
is it a 111r or 111s?
whats up with that aero? aftermarket?
do i have to worry about the chassis being true?
is 15k about right?

thanks!

Last edited by babydriver; 09-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.
babydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

That one needs a new rear clam for sure. Cost for clam if you buy used $1500-$2000 plus paint which is another $1500 or so. I would take it to a lotus dealer to have it inspected (PPI) to make sure there is no frame damage. Do you know if it has a salvage title or a clear title? Thats really important to know even though it is going to be a track car. For the most part $15k sounds about right but by the time you are done you would have spent just as much to fix this one if not more than if you would have waited and found another one not needing any work. And you would also get one with a clean bill of health with no accident history which is not important for a track car but is for re-sale when and if the time comes to sell especially if this one has a salvage title which affects the overall value of the car. Just my .02
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

is the car in the austin area? It might be my old car. I can tell you a bit about it if so. THe new owner was rear ended. He said there was a bit of front end damage as well
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
is the car in the austin area? It might be my old car. I can tell you a bit about it if so. THe new owner was rear ended. He said there was a bit of front end damage as well
its actually in missouri.. and going over my budget i dont think i can do 15 right now. i might lowball the hell out of the dealer since its a salvage.

there is a little bit of damage on the front now that i look at it. it must be yours. but yeah any info you can give me on it would help. heres the link: http://www.74auto.com/vehiclesDetail.php?5906
babydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Banks don't like to finance salvage "exotics", insurance companies don't like to insure salvage vehicles. People don't like to buy salvage vehicles. You will run into problems at every turn if you get this.
Unless you expect to drive this thing into the ground, its not worth it.
2008 Buell XB9SX (leaving soon)
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

It does look like the front clam has a crack. With a double clam replacement you could be looking over$25000 at a shop. You could repair front clam.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am about 95% sure it is my old car. I would avoid it simply for the reasons the others have said. It needs at least a rear clam, muffler and back end trim. The front could be fixed or left as is for a track car. the front damage was done by the toe truck btw. I was told the rear end was relatively slow. I seriously doubt there is any frame damage.

IF You ar a fiberglass guru and have a hookup mfor paint you might be able to make this work for you. If you need to buy a new clam, I dont think you can justify this. I sold it in good condition 2k miles ago for 24k.

ignoring the wreck, it was a good car otherwise. It had some decent upgrades when I sold it: BOE toe links, poly engine mount inserts, lightwt bat, micromirror, ferodo 2500 brake pads, and probably a few others.

The new owner told me he spent quite a bit on it. Ill assume most of the stuff is still there but i am not sure. From him and memory: BOE tilting clam, side sils and front splitter, gpan and several small cosmetic items.

Cliff notes: it was a good car, but I am not sure it can be economiclly justified at this point.
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I bought my 05 from that place (74 auto). That one is more complete than mine was said to be, but other than that the guy gets things done quick and they had there shipping compay deliver mine to indiana for $350
BODYSHOPELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BODYSHOPELISE View Post
I bought my 05 from that place (74 auto). That one is more complete than mine was said to be, but other than that the guy gets things done quick and they had there shipping compay deliver mine to indiana for $350
$350. Is dirt cheap for shipping.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
its actually in missouri.. and going over my budget i dont think i can do 15 right now. i might lowball the hell out of the dealer since its a salvage.
74 Auto gives you a complete overview of each vehicle listed
Can't do 15 right now, then you probably cant do this car.. Good luck let us know how your low-balling works! 10k? lol
Hextavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee.engineer View Post
Banks don't like to finance salvage "exotics", insurance companies don't like to insure salvage vehicles. People don't like to buy salvage vehicles. You will run into problems at every turn if you get this.
Unless you expect to drive this thing into the ground, its not worth it.
Insurance companies have no problem whatsoever insuring a salvage title.

All things being equal, a salvage title seems to ding these cars about $5k-7k below an equivalent clean titled car.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

As a lotus tech I would say it definitely needs a new rear clam. If you are hell bent on the car and 15k is out of your budget, borrow the extra you need and sell the LSS rims, hardtop, sideskirts and side scoops. If you do all that you would be closer to the 10k if that's your budget. It may also need a new rear subframe if the rear impact was significant enough to tweak it. If it still has the tilting clam that the previous owner installed tilt the clam if it will tilt and have a look at the subframe.
lotuscrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextavo View Post
Can't do 15 right now, then you probably cant do this car.. Good luck let us know how your low-balling works! 10k? lol
+1000

And I seriously doubt any groups would let you track it in that condition. All the groups I run with have requirements that body panels can't be in that sort of condition (where pieces could fall off on the track). Maybe you're planning to cover it all with duct tape before tracking it? Even in that condition I doubt it'll pass a tech inspection.

If your budget for a track car is under $15k go for a track preped Miata - you'll get a lot more bang for your buck. Then in a few years when you're ready step into a Lotus (but not this one)
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

"i don't know a ton about lotus except i like them a lot."

Maybe before you drain your bank account on a car, you should know more about it first since this is obviously a big investment for you. Why not save up for a few years and buy a really nice one? By then you may already be in love with something else, and you'll have more money! If not you have a better car in the long run anyways, and you won't have a hard time trying to sell that salvage titled car when you decide you "like something else a lot".
Retsillacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard