Heartbroken - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Heartbroken

After planning my mid-life crisis for years; waiting months for a 2005 orange Elise to become available near me; buying one two months ago; and having a great mechanic get it in tip top shape I had an accident. Pictures are below. I was doing 30-35 down the right hand lane of a three lane divided road in Florida. Two left lanes were stopped as they turn left at the light 300 feet ahead; mini van comes through a break in the divider to get into a strip-mall. I hit her bumper and then the curb. Airbags deploy; hardtop dislodges (these are the two things I'm worried about... does the hardtop dislodging mean the frame is toast?). Clearly the clamshell and crash cage are toast and I think the front passenger control bar. VIN: SCCPC11155HC31795.

This happened Friday night so insurance adjuster won't make it there until Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping I can fix her, but I've been told that since the airbags deployed I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I was really hoping this wouldn't be my first post here... but it is. Any thoughts on repair costs, opinions on if she is worth saving, and/or moral support are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Tharssus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

I can't help you with will it be totaled or not, but I am so sorry that happened to you. It sucks to have a dream ripped apart. I hope that the frame is fine and all it actually needs is new clam, lights, etc.

But with that hardtop's new positioning, something seems bent. If it can't be fixed, here's to hoping that you get enough money out of it, and are able to find a new one to love.

Jeff
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

My heart breaks for you! Is insurance blaming you or the other driver? I hope she can be salvaged!

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Such moderate

I can't see the damage, the pics are too big. Resize 'em!
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Oh man, I'm so sorry. I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago, except there it was MUCH worse......as in everyone was surprised that I was alive. You must be extremely heart-broken. Trust us, we feel your pain.

Wrt the vehicle being bent. Hell, I'm no expert but I just can imagine from what I see that it would be. Does the front window frame seem bent? Perhaps that's why the hardtop popped off?

I think that it's rebuildable, but here's what you're up against........cost to repair. For any members that have had clams replaced/repaired please chime in, but I seem to remember repair costs as high as 20K and if there's suspension damage (which is likely since you hit a curb) then look out because that can get very expensive. I'm not sure what your Elise is worth, but I think they might just total it because of the high repair costs. Sorry amigo.

The ONLY good news that I have for you is that IF it's totaled, you're approaching the end of the driving season (depending on where you live) and you should be able to pick up another one at a good price over the winter. Don't be afraid to shop nationally. If you're willing to pay $700-1,500 for shipping an Elise, you could save thousands on a good deal. I might be able to help you with a super cheap airline ticket to go see one, too.

I'm not sure if you're willing to go new (at this point that's the furthest thing from your mind I know), but there's a really nice CO 2011 SC in the PNW that's been sitting at the dealership for months. It's approaching the end of their selling season also so someone out there can potentially get a smoking deal on that one.

Let's hope that it's rebuildable and you've got a good as new car for next spring's driving season. Keep us posted and let us know how we can help out. Don't be afraid to PM me.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Oh, and snag the soft top (and hard top as well if you can) before the adjuster comes out to look at it. Try and keep those as you'll easily get $500 for the soft top if it's in good condition and more for the hardtop if insurance doesn't need that and there's no damage. Don't forget the owners manual as well. Fingers crossed that it's not totaled but you might as well make some drinking money if it is.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

That is awful. Sorry to see your car damaged. I know how much time I have spent working on my elise and it would be a terrible experience to see it crushed like that. I'm glad you are ok.

| 2005 Lotus Elise | Sport Pack | Biscuit Touring Pack | Storm Ti | BWR Supercharger | Elise: My process of adding exige side scoops (+ Front Mesh) |
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Oh, and snag the soft top (and hard top as well if you can) before the adjuster comes out to look at it. Try and keep those as you'll easily get $500 for the soft top if it's in good condition and more for the hardtop if insurance doesn't need that and there's no damage. Don't forget the owners manual as well. Fingers crossed that it's not totaled but you might as well make some drinking money if it is.
That's illegal.
me73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
That's illegal.
Yeah well.........so is speeding, but no one on this forum has ever done that, right? I see no problems with at the very least snagging the soft top from the boot and keeping it. If your moral conscience can't take it than that's fine, but other than that it's the least he can do to offset this miserable experience.

Trust me, the adjuster won't even ask about it.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Yeah well.........so is speeding, but no one on this forum has ever done that, right? I see no problems with at the very least snagging the soft top from the boot and keeping it. If your moral conscience can't take it than that's fine, but other than that it's the least he can do to offset this miserable experience.

Trust me, the adjuster won't even ask about it.
I'd try to avoid recommending committing felonies on internet boards if I were you. And trying to justify it doesn't make anything better.
me73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thar.. looks semi-cosmetic, "unless the hardtop not closing" was part of the damage?

Glad you are okay and regardless of what the insurance company decides, there is always an option to revive the "patient."

Sincere Condolences

Keep us posted!

Last edited by Leebenstein; 10-27-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Leebenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
I'd try to avoid recommending committing felonies on internet boards if I were you. And trying to justify it doesn't make anything better.
Thanks I'll take it into consideration........ I guess you've never seen the plethora of soft tops for sale on here over time that are from totaled vehicles? The man's free to do as he pleases, but I can tell you that I'd at least keep the soft top. Hell, it wasn't even on the vehicle at the time of the accident.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ticket Magnet

I really don't want to turn this thread into a hijacked legal discourse, but if the hard top is removable and the car is operational without it, I fail to see how removing it (or the soft top if it was in the trunk) BEFORE the adjuster appraises the vehicle, is a felony. Just like taking the camper off of a wrecked vehicle, the vehicle will be appraised for the estimated value of the presented pile of parts before the wreck.
R4Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

If it does get totaled keep this one in mind:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f94/...-elise-120936/
Old 10-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for all the kind remarks and e-support.

I just went to the tow yard and talked to their owner who also has a repair shop on site: surprisingly trustworthy guy. The damage is mostly cosmetic with no structural visible. The impact to the front passenger side tire sheered off two aluminum bolts and does not seem to have damaged the suspension. Windshield is cracked and roof came off because of the airbags. They will check everything (including reporting the frame alignment using top-of-the-line laser siting and comparing to spec, alignment, suspension, etc.), but will likely be 10-15k for clam shell, wind shield, air bags, etc. As the police report indicates the other driver was at fault this should all come out OK.
Tharssus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharssus View Post
Thanks for all the kind remarks and e-support.

I just went to the tow yard and talked to their owner who also has a repair shop on site: surprisingly trustworthy guy. The damage is mostly cosmetic with no structural visible. The impact to the front passenger side tire sheered off two aluminum bolts and does not seem to have damaged the suspension. Windshield is cracked and roof came off because of the airbags. They will check everything (including reporting the frame alignment using top-of-the-line laser siting and comparing to spec, alignment, suspension, etc.), but will likely be 10-15k for clam shell, wind shield, air bags, etc. As the police report indicates the other driver was at fault this should all come out OK.

Still, it sucks that you have to go through this.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)
Such moderate

Quote:

When I had an accident when I was younger, my car was towed and when I went to get my stuff out of it the next day at the tow yard BEFORE insurance saw the car, some stuff had already been stripped off of the car. If my car was front end wrecked, you better be damn sure I'd be grabbing my exhaust and putting the oem one back on, as well as a few other things. And I'm going to agree with r4racin, the car is fully functional without the soft top, and he had the hard top on it, why leave it behind?
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Someone is a bit touchy...

The greatest gift ever given, was our Salvation, the release from the bonds of addictions, and sins. To rise above the petty things that hold us down.
Podunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't understand why people can't mind their own business....and worry about themselves
volvoqn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoqn88 View Post
I don't understand why people can't mind their own business....and worry about themselves
Some people feel more puffed up if they do.. Kind of like a confidence booster, or ego feeder.

The greatest gift ever given, was our Salvation, the release from the bonds of addictions, and sins. To rise above the petty things that hold us down.
Podunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard