Just got a terrible phonecall... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just got a terrible phonecall...

So I PCS'd from Hawaii to the UK (USAF) and I was having my friend look after my car (2005 Titanium Elise) and he called me today saying that it was totaled...

Quote:
"I was going down the hill and the dip at the bottom made the back end slip away, I tried to correct it but I started spinning around and was going backwards. It went to the right and jumped over a curve and smashed a railing on the side walk."
This is pretty much all the information I have at the moment and am pretty devastated...Will update with pictures as soon as I get them...I feel like a big part of me has died.
DCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Make that former friend!
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

(Last cruise I drove it on before I left the island)
Here is a before pic...Waiting on the after pics...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260

Man, that's horrible. Thanks for your service, and best of luck with the resolution.

That 340R-esque graphic line is interesting. I like how you carried it down to the body line in the rocker.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Make that former friend!
Really? What kind of friendship is that?

I heard of a guy who placed a note in the glove box of his prize possession car - attached to the insurance papers. The note was to anyone in his family, reminding them that as much as he loved his car, THEY were more important to him than a collection of metal parts.

On the other hand, if the friend is bailing on his responsibilities, the relationship could change... Hope this works out. Hope your friend is OK.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
Really? What kind of friendship is that?

I heard of a guy who placed a note in the glove box of his prize possession car - attached to the insurance papers. The note was to anyone in his family, reminding them that as much as he loved his car, THEY were more important to him than a collection of metal parts.

On the other hand, if the friend is bailing on his responsibilities, the relationship could change... Hope this works out. Hope your friend is OK.
That was the first thing I checked on. He is good. Sore neck and a few scrapes. He told me right away and is getting the ball rolling with my insurance and whatnot.

I am sad and angry but its just a car and its not going to change my view of the guy. Being in the military you realize that sometimes **** happens, it''s the way that its delt with after the fact that shows someones true character.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

You are very understanding. I have friend that we had unpleasant discussion about why he can not drive my Elise.

truth is these cars can not be driven like a Chevy and chances are people are not going to drive them with the required care.

Last edited by lotus90; 12-03-2012 at 11:50 AM.
lotus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCampbell View Post
That was the first thing I checked on. He is good. Sore neck and a few scrapes. He told me right away and is getting the ball rolling with my insurance and whatnot.

I am sad and angry but its just a car and its not going to change my view of the guy. Being in the military you realize that sometimes **** happens, it''s the way that its delt with after the fact that shows someones true character.
Well said. Your true character is also revealed.

A friendship that survives such things is worth way more than the Elise... Even if the photo was awesome! Ouch! It hurts to imagine that car all busted up.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

I had a buddy once take my Honda CBR for a 2 minute drive. He dumped it turning around at the end of a dead end road on some gravel he didn't see. This stuff happens and it sounds like it will work out.

Sorry for your loss.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Your military service is a big part of your life and so are the friends you gain while in service. Sorry to hear about your car

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

wow, sorry man. hope it works out ok.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

I try my best to avoid these types of situations. That goes for all situations that could damage relations with friends or family. I just wouldn't let anyone drive anything of mine that isn't a "normal" car. Well damn, I always refuse to co-sign for any family member who has even asked. This keep potential bad scenarios from happening.
America has always been defined by its excess. The Grand Canyon, professional sports contracts, Wendy’s baconator, extra bacon! I myself have 18 Lamborghinis, and a Subaru station-wagon. And it’s because of this excess that I have flourished. I implore you, please do not stop profiting. Live for excess, it’s the American way.
ItsThaMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

MY first response to you was going to be , "kill your friend... you will feel better...." But you are handling it amazingly well! It reminds me of a Richard Bach story from one of his early books regarding flyingacross the country with a friend who flew, as I recall, a Luscombe. The friend finally wore Bach down and talked him into letting him fly Bach's tricky-Fleet-biplane. Bach was actually recording the flight from the ground with an old camera, and of course the friend wrapped the plane up on landing. Bach wrote that his initial response was lowering the camera to scream, but then military training kicks in and he filmed the aftermath of the wreck while "thinking of a fitting understatement to give his friend as he climbed from the wreckage."

friendship is the best thing on earth.
'06 Lotus Elise Ardent Red, Touring, Sport, Driving Lights, Stage II Exhaust, Risen Engine Covers, Star Shield, SirLotus' Front Under Clam Protectors in anti-matter-black, Yoko's, Sector111 FFI Cover; DS Brace Toe-link upgrade and cool Carpet Buttons, Long Blond Hairs in Pax Seat ... I think the most important thing is that in the last seven days we've just had the greatest adventure of our lifetimes.” (Richard Branson)
High_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Sorry to hear it but glad everyone is ok. You seem like an exceptional person!

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks for being a good example.

Hope it all works out well

Enjoying Lotus performance because of its nature, not because of its quantity
doug_porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

I am all for forgiveness and not over emphasizing material items over human well being.

That being said I would still be pissed as hell at my friend.

To me it works like this "you know how much I cared about the car. I trusted you with it, yet you still thought you would push your luck by driving it past your limit. It really shows a lack of respect for me and a lack of integrity"

Anyways sorry about your car (and my tangent)
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

damn even that didnt sound right

Last edited by Hello Kitty; 12-03-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

friends driving your Lotus

The best man for my wedding took my '84 Turbo Esprit out for a drive with his girlfriend the DAY before my wedding and overheated it BIG time. I denied my bride the white limo ride on the big day because I thought it would be much more impressive (to me, at least!) to pull away from the church in a Lotus. The car ran and sounded like CRAP the next day, I think he had blown the head gasket, but I was able to limp away from the church. At the reception some of my new "American car only" in-laws ribbed me to no end. We were both newly minted USAF lieutenants at the time. Nearly 20 years later, I'm still married to the same woman, still in the Air Force, still consider the best man my best friend (though he bought me beer for a LONG time as it proved to be an expensive rebuild), and still drive a Lotus (an Exige now).
Blenkush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

You have a good attitude. After all, it is only a car.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

It IS only a car. That is what insurance is for. If your friend is OK that is what is important.

I take care of my friends Caterham and Elise while he is living in the far east.

I do drive his cars, not often as I have the same cars myself, but if something would happen, I know he would understand.

Think how unimportant the car would be if his friend has been seriously hurt or worse.
tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard