SCCVC11187HL83321 declared total loss - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation SCCVC11187HL83321 declared total loss

Sad news today, I have been informed by the insurance appraiser that my Arctic Silver 2007 Lotus Exige S (modified) is being declared a total loss.

Here is the most recent post for this car - obviously it will be sold for something less than that asking price now...
2007 Lotus Exigs S w/BOE Rev300 Supercharger - $49900

Some background

Shortly after I put the car up for sale, my partner was driving it home from Seattle. It happened to be raining freakishly heavily that evening, and as fate would have it he hit a patch of standing water on I-90 at about 35mph. This put the car into a series of (according to him) stately 360s culminating in an abrupt deceleration due to impact with a concrete wall (fortunately no other cars were involved!) Visible and obvious damage was done to the front driver side corner. Less visible but expected damage occurred to the oil cooler residing in that corner. The car was pulled off to the side of the road, stopped, and then trailered to the repair shop (Park Place Ltd in Bellevue, WA). All this was back in October of 2016 (and yes, I only just found out about this today - it's been a *very* long process.)

Now you are thinking "that's odd, front clam and oil cooler replacements aren't all that expensive, how could it be totaled?" And I'd be right there with you - in fact this car has had a front clam replaced before (for a much less serious incident). But it turns out the visible damage was not all the damage there was. According to the shop, the front subframe was damaged as well, and this would require *replacement* which is horridly expensive (apparently it's part composite). Additionally, the wreck appears to have caused some engine damage. One of the cam gears *twisted* off - I saw the torque damage myself - making the engine non-functional and requiring some top-end work to fix (shop estimated $5k for that, mostly labor no doubt.) So, front clam, cooling system work, front sub frame replacement and engine top-end work... yeah, I could see that adding up.

Why am I telling you this?

Well I've never dealt with a totaled car before, and certainly not one which is as rare as these are. What do you guys recommend I do - if anything? There are a number of parts on the car which you folks might want dibs on (the wheels certainly, heck maybe even parts of the SC system, I don't know what the insurance company will let me do once they decide to total it.) Or maybe there is something you know about frame damage I don't which might alter this outcome?

So looking for feedback, options, recommendations. Barring that, if this VIN number shows up anywhere, you will now have a record of how it got to where it is and what to look out for. If you are looking for more numbers, I expect I'll have them in the next few days or so.

Thanks!

2009 Gray and Carbon Audi R8 4.2 MT Stasis Challenge Extreme
2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:44 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
What a bummer, sorry man. Stuff happens.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM

get the buyback number form the insurance company, keep a conversation going, make them a bad offer etc

someone here is bound to buy it, cut out the middle man

sorry for your loss

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM

Garage
Well...

Your not sounding confident, but I have also heard many bring a car back with *perhaps less damage. The thing is that would equate a long term commitment to this vehicle... Yes you could fix it up and who knows within the realm of possibility make some improvements and a little change in your pocket. That change would be taken out of your pocket when/ if you chose to sell. Salvage Title.

It's like what's important? Someone(s) have probably already contacted you... Do you want to keep it or not? For yourself. The rest will fall into place. A lot of variables and you have already been dealing with this down unit for over a year... You would be looking at possibly x more years bringing it back to life.

Oh and really sorry about your ride getting busted. That alone could almost make me let go... or not. I'm very indecisive today! Prob not. I mean you have other toys, and you were already to sell it anyway. Sorry no help. heh
winter likes this.

L O T U S

Last edited by Motard; 03-07-2017 at 04:07 PM.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:14 PM

You can buy the car back from the insurance company. Then you can either rebuild it(not likely due to frame damage), or part it out and sell the parts yourself.
Seats, Clam, S/C, Wheels, headlights/turnsignals are obviously popular, as well are misc bodywork and aftermarket parts.

Also, while $5K for a head repair was quoted that much, I think you can get a built crate engine at that price point for a little more.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Phantom Black - Starshield, Touring Pack, Track Pack, LSD, Premier Gold Pack
2008 BMW 535i - Sport Pkg, SportAT, etc

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Am interested in the seats and door cards if you part it out. ��

Would also be interested in some other parts: stock supercharger, rear diffuser etc.

We're vultures. I know. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by NerdLifeTillIDie; 03-07-2017 at 05:30 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 04:56 PM

Interested in your engine CF cover, rev300 kit, and front head light lens (if they survived).

2006 Lotus Exige: Avery Matte Graphite wrap, partial built motor (9:1 Mahle pistons, Ferrea Competition valves, ACT Clutch, ARP head studs), REV300(ish) TVS, Nitron SAs, BOE QS exhaust, Ultradisc rotors, Moroso Oil pan, Circuitworks oil pump, CF Stuff (Cup Roof, ReVerie diffusor, side scoops, APR air dam, craftsquare mirrors), Worksbell quick release, Odyssey PC625, Morimoto Xenon HID
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Weather have been crappier than usual around here. I try not to drive in Seattles wet weather in my lotus. Hope everything works out!
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Condolences for the loss.

And yeah...the weather has been particularly bad around here lately.

Corvus

A Dirge for Her the Doulby Dead in that She Died So Young
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance company about the buyback details. They've already given me the "fair market value" listing, but it's not clear to me yet how that relates to what they would pay out. I'll give you guys all the details once I get them and go from there. If nothing else, I hope this will help others who are going through this process or who end up in it later.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 12:11 PM
glb

May I ask what tires were on the car in that rain?

thx

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:08 PM

I a sorry for your situation. Hope that you can work out with the insurance company to your benefit. However if you decide to let the insurance company have it or to part it I would be very interested in your carbon fiber engine cover, seats and wheels if they will work on my Elise. Lonnie
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 02:23 PM

The surprising damage to the oil cooler has piqued my interest. Could that have actually caused the accident? Read up on the oil cooler recall and see if the car previously had it performed (call a dealer with your VIN and they'll tell you). If that seems like it could fit, then you may not want to buy it back - severe engine damage could've also occurred. You'll also be likely SOL in Lotus' eyes since there has been ample time for the recall to have been performed, so they won't cover anything anymore.
glb likes this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
The surprising damage to the oil cooler has piqued my interest. Could that have actually caused the accident? Read up on the oil cooler recall and see if the car previously had it performed (call a dealer with your VIN and they'll tell you). If that seems like it could fit, then you may not want to buy it back - severe engine damage could've also occurred. You'll also be likely SOL in Lotus' eyes since there has been ample time for the recall to have been performed, so they won't cover anything anymore.
I had already had the recall done but thanks for checking I remember the horror stories...
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deet3450 View Post
I a sorry for your situation. Hope that you can work out with the insurance company to your benefit. However if you decide to let the insurance company have it or to part it I would be very interested in your carbon fiber engine cover, seats and wheels if they will work on my Elise. Lonnie
Yeah there are a couple things like that I'll pull off the car and sell - and I have some other bits lying around as well. I'll formally put all those up once we have determined the final disposition of the car.
Deet3450 likes this.

2007 Arctic Silver Lotus Exige S - Totaled http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f231...1/#post5317729
2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Elise Racer

Your insurance adjuster doesn't know what he is looking at, there is no "front subframe". You may want to get a 2nd opinion.
surferpkt likes this.

www.wirewheel.com
Member Vendor
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewheel View Post
Your insurance adjuster doesn't know what he is looking at, there is no "front subframe". You may want to get a 2nd opinion.
Well, before I sign over the papers, I'll be sure to go have a closer look myself with the Lotus tech there, since he's the one who made the diagnosis. If I had to guess, what he means is the subframe which is not included in the tub part of the bonded superstructure. Whether it is formally called that or referenced that way somewhere I don't know. Guess I'll find out.

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 Honda Element
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM

That just blows. That's the 2nd Exige to be crashed in the PNW in 2 weeks!

2005 Elise- Katana II S/C with other fun bits
2011 Evora NA - Daily Driver
2014 Acura MDX aka The Family Wagon
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
May I ask what tires were on the car in that rain?

thx
The A048s. I hadn't swapped on my winter tires yet as it happened - that might have made the difference. Alas...
post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 PM

buy back buy back buy back!

Whatever the buy back cost is you will be safe in the fact that you will be able to get your money out of it, if you either sell it as a salvage or part it out.

The front "sub frame" is actually a composite crash structure designed to take the frontal impact of a crash. It has to be cut off and a new one glued in place. About 1500 for the part. They said mine was "damaged" as well. Turned out not to be the case. I bought a salvage 2006 elise in the fall that had both ends smashed and have fixed the shells myself. There is a thread over in the elise section on the rebuild. The body shop said everything was toast on the car when we torn it down we found the complete opposite. Now I know I very well may have gotten completely lucky in that it was only body damage and an oil cooler as well that needed replacing.

These cars can be fixed and are rare enough that they should be. Either buy it back to fix or buy it back to sell to somebody that will fix it. Just dont let the insurance company make money on killing the car, they do that often enough already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > The Salvage Yard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.