Evora engine possibilities? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Evora engine possibilities?

Hi all

I am looking to buy an Evora for a project I am planning but the standard Evora and S models aren't powerful enough for what I want. I read this morning that the Evora GTE engine is an upgraded version of the supercharged 2GR-FE engine so can anyone confirm this and tell me what upgrades are done to the engine and do Lotus or any third party companies offer the upgrade for standard Evora's.

Apart from upgrading/tuning the 2GR-FE unit are there any options for engine conversions and what donor engines will fit in the chassis and would it be a case of having to stick with a Mid mounted, transverse layout or would the chassis accommodate a Mid mounted,longitudinally layout?

Just trying to get some initial thoughts and ideas but I'd love to see an Evora with a small V8 lightweight v8.

Thanks

Trevor
TrevS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nice GT Avatar - search through the Evora forums - there are a few threads on it.

So far one N/A motor has been S/C'ed and there are tunes for both S/C and N/A motors.

MonkeyWrenchRacing has some parts on the horrizon.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Some people who have this engine in other vehicles (trucks) have made some significant performance inroads.
From ToyotaNation website:
The Toyota 2GR-FE VVT-i 3.5-litre V6 engine chosen by the buggy’s owner, Peter Kittle, also powers Toyota Aurion, Tarago, new Kluger and RAV4 V6.

The Jimco 2000 is fitted with a pair of Turbonetic turbochargers that are each rated to 450 horsepower.

Mr Kittle has utilised several of Toyota’s 3.0-litre engines in his creations, and says the new 3.5-litre V6 has the strength to cope with the enormous horsepower it produced for the Jimco 2000.

“The new 3.5-litre engine has a very strong bottom-end, with its six-bolt main steel crankshaft which we run unmodified,” Mr Kittle said.

“The engine is pretty much bullet-proof, and our goal has been to make the power smooth and useable.”

The engine was built by Shane Wilson, owner of Shane Competition Engine Development in Mount Gambier, South Australia.

He fitted Pankyl H-beam billet con-rods, CP pistons and PSI valve springs, all made in the USA.

The Toyota cylinder heads have been extensively modified including Team Kittle’s own custom camshaft profiles, and modified exhaust valves with larger valve stems.

Sitting atop the heads is a custom-fabricated aluminium intake manifold.

The team worked with Turbonetics in the USA to calibrate the turbochargers to the Toyota’s specifications and the spread of power desired by the Kittle team.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info so far guys. What about the Cosworth engine in the GTE, has anyone attempted to try and source/fit one to an Evora and what are the main differences with the standard engine?

Also my avatar of the GT40 is because my current project is building one. I've been building mine for around 2 years and starting to look at what my next project will be. Thinking big this time

Trev
Old 09-18-2012, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Addertooth you have all the good info Isn't the Jimco 2000 like 800+ hp?

TrevS - Got any pictures/videos of your current project? The GT is a great American classic.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

In this current timeframe it has a tune which takes it up in the 800 HP range when in "dyno queen" mode. When they are actually racing, they de-tune it to a lower figure for heat management. More HP, which does not get you to the end of the race is useless. In my opinion, heat management is the achilles heel of this engine.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
Addertooth you have all the good info Isn't the Jimco 2000 like 800+ hp?

TrevS - Got any pictures/videos of your current project? The GT is a great American classic.

Plackslayer, you can see pictures and build information of my GT40 on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/gt40builder

Image gallery here

Your right the GT is a great classic, but English not American as it was designed and built by Lola in here in the UK

Trev
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elise Driver

I can get the Lotus Motorsport Cosworth engine along with the X-trac trans and engine management.

All together the cost on it is north of $150,000. You're better off buying a GT4.
VSAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

I see that redesign of the camshafts and the opening of exhaust valves really opening up would be benificail.. More boost! The introduction of a different intake manifold for more more boost, psst.. 444 is easy breazy..and I think this is easily abtainable with the evora s.. But bigger radiator better fans, and the transmission will all need to be addressed.. But I think there is other swaps that come to mind.. But cost always will out weigh demand..
Ked67madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevS View Post
Plackslayer, you can see pictures and build information of my GT40 on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/gt40builder

Image gallery here

Your right the GT is a great classic, but English not American as it was designed and built by Lola in here in the UK

Trev
Yeah yeah if we go that route last 30 years of Jags are American
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

How flexible is the chassis and would it be possible to change the layout to a longitudinal arrangement and perhaps drop a lightweight v8 in or would that be too much?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well the trunk is fiberglass.. Cut and install! Buying a ultima gtr will probally cheaper.. And it'll have bow tie power that flat kills Dearborn power!
Ked67madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yeah but I want a car that has a more production car fit and finish rather than some built just for speed. I'll already have the GT40 which is too similar to an Ultima. Also from all the reviews I've read that Evora is supposed to be just a wonderful handling car with great steering feel etc. It sounds like the perfect car just needs a little bit more power to make it a proper supercar

Trev
Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

That is true - I would like to see it push 500+.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've sent a company called Caral Automotive an email as they seem to have extensive knowledge of converting Lotus' and VX220's so maybe that's the best place to start. Will let you know how I get on

Trev
Old 09-24-2012, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elise Driver

We're working hard on developing the 2GR which is a fantastic engine. We're beyond 320whp NA (stock is around 250whp) with bolt-ons, cams and tuning in our project Elise V6. With the big bore block and higher compression you'd be looking at 370+ whp. We've also got ported heads, upgraded valves and springs, etc.

If you're looking for bigger power the 2GR will do it with some forced induction. It's a very stout engine. The stock rods aren't particularly strong but upgrade those and add some low compression pistons and the sky is the limit.
2001 Toyota Celica 2ZZ Turbo 950 crank hp, 200+ mph
2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder 500+hp, 10's
http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/
Monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

MW - talk to me about a TT 3.7...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

320 whp or a bored out motor sounds great to me..do tell..as long as the prices aren't insane
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'm making 366WHP on mine and I think factory supercharger with BOE tune is the way to go. If Allen and phil can figure out the intake situation we might be able to make another 10 to 15 HP's. That will put me around 380WHP. I really don't think that's a bad deal with stock internals.
ramtin1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1000 View Post
I'm making 366WHP on mine and I think factory supercharger with BOE tune is the way to go. If Allen and phil can figure out the intake situation we might be able to make another 10 to 15 HP's. That will put me around 380WHP. I really don't think that's a bad deal with stock internals.
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Toyota-Jimco-2000.html

Stock internals pushing 800+?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)