kswap parts list - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

kswap parts list

i decided to compile a list of the parts i have purchased as well as price and or that i have found to work with the k swap in our cars. i will be updating this list as i complete my car .
Hope this helps everyone with future kswaps

A list of a few vendors

Any oem Honda parts you need contact
Ryan or collin at
auto fair honda 603-634-0639

A list of a few parts that will work with a k20/k24 swap
If you go k24 you will need a crv engine mount bracket or the nicer p2r bracket
http://powerrevracing.com/shop/produ...?id_product=44 105.00
however its only available in silver now.

MUST have

Innovative mounts
Call Tim
714-524-5246
http://www.innovativemounts.com/sear...lts.asp?cat=43

Axles 350.00
Engine mounts 499.99
Transmission linkage call for your specific application

Hybrid racing
Hybrid Racing
225-932-9588

Throttle body 410.00 (need adapter for oem throttle cable, call innovative will be offered through them)

Universal harness 349.99
Chain tensioner 299.99
Tps sensor 89.99
Fuel rail 160.00
Slim oil cap 80.00

Hondata, Inc.
2840 Columbia St
Torrance, CA 90503
engine management

Sean @ K-Tuned
USA(877) 958-8633
http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/Housings_c_52.html

Swivel neck thermostat 159.99
Fuel rail 149.99
Heater Hose delete 11.99
OEM Thermostat Housing Plug & Bracket 19.99

Skunk 2

Pro series intake manifold 550.00
Composite fuel rail 199.99

Injector dynamics
Fuel injectors 472.00

Real street performance
High performance parts
Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More
picked up injectors, fuel rail. And all engine components from them.

Erl performance
S2k fuel pump 499.99
Arp main bolts
Products->Performance Parts

ipg parts
arp bolts
877-629-9679
www.IPGParts.com

HPTautosport
Arp bolts

Source for oem parts list great to see what you need similar to lotus garage
http://www.hondapartsnow.com/

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

For those of you on the west coast
Engine line machine shop
Can build you an engine of your choice
661-265-7057

richewerks
http://www.richewerks.com/
323 719-7813
complete pnp harness no soldering or cutting involved for the kswaps.mil spec harness for k swaps and 2zz
For those of you who would like a custom harness made from scratch and tailored to your specific application

rotrex chargers
speak to bear price cant be beat
http://www.mountainperformance.com/

WHITFIELD MFG
www.whitfieldmfg.com

PHONE: 909-608-7123
8465 LOMA PL
UPLAND CA, 91786
Headers exhaust or any custom fab work

Pacific coast Powder coating
(888) 612-4559
1817 E Avenue Q, Suite C1,
Palmdale, CA 93550-3913

Church automotive
300 Quay Ave. Wilmington, CA 90744
310-518-496
Tuning

Bonaco Race Fittings
http://www.bonacoinc.com/
1846 W. 11th. St., Unit I
Upland, CA 91786
909-985-3429
AN fittings and HOSES

REDHORSE PERFORMANCE
9746 S. Roberts Road
Palos Hills, IL 60465
Phone: 708-430-1603
An fittings

Meziere Enterprises
220 S. Hale Ave.
Escondido, CA. 92029
Water pump and tanks

Clutch Masters Industries, Inc.
267 E. Valley Blvd. Rialto, CA 92376
Ph: (909) 877-6800
http://www.clutchmasters.com/

Last edited by aztec1382; 11-09-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: updated list
aztec1382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

K pro?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Red Hat Linux Junkie!

I've been in the Honda world for a decade now. James @ IPG is both knowledgeable/awesome to deal with.

04 GTO -- 356rwhp (tuned by me on HPTuners PRO) -- ongoing project car

04 TSX -- daily driver
herecomesboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Highly recommend ktuned tps sensor over hybrid racing/omnipower/etc. Not a cheap Chinese replacement that is bound to fail, but an actual solution.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

What do you do for harness, throw out the lotus and use Honda? Also how do you control the dash? And 1 more, do you retain the OBD functionality to communicate with the Honda ECU? I assume if you can get OBD to connect to the new ECU you should theoretically pass emissions?
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
What do you do for harness, throw out the lotus and use Honda? Also how do you control the dash? And 1 more, do you retain the OBD functionality to communicate with the Honda ECU? I assume if you can get OBD to connect to the new ECU you should theoretically pass emissions?
That's basically all answered in my thread:
Chronicle of a Honda K-series swap.

-Lotus stock engine harness is not used, except for some connectors if you want. You use a Honda K20A2 engine harness. You then need an adapter harness to adapt the K20A2 to the Lotus vehicle harness. Right now the options are to cut and splice in a "universal" k20 adapter harness. Otherwise I can take the Hybrid Racing universal harness and turn it into a plug-and-play harness for a fee.
-The dash is controlled via a Hondata dash converter unit, which again you will need to wire into the conversion harness (or I do it for you in the plug-and-play version).
-OBD functionality is retained assuming you go with the Hondata K-pro ECU, which I highly recommend. In fact the car will actually report the correct VIN if you tell it to, along with some other... stuff. So yes for states without visual or CARB cert it should pass as it should pass an OBD scan.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

See I thought that might be the case, but only recently learned this. Had I known back in December I would have done this swap instead of dumping $10K into the 2ZZ.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

re: K20 swap

You have done some nice work, especially with the electrical on the K swap.

I do not think that the mechanics of the swap are that complicated... once all the little details have been worked out, as they have been, with the Lotus over the past 5 years. The electronics, on the other hand, are. Again, once you have tried it and figured it out and installed it, it is all easy after that.

Just an interesting question. The K-pro used for most swaps is from the 2002 RSX Type S i.e. the PRB and its relatives. It is an OBD I ECU. What about OBD II? (Or am I wong altogether?). I am just curious more than anything else...

I have a Honda swap and a K-pro. It works great! It is in a race car, so I just care that it runs the engine, though.

Also, I think 90% of the people doing emission inspections know which engine is supposed to be in the Lotus or what it looks like. If you had a K-pro, reported the right VIN, had EGR, and all the same emission parts (that are probably explicitely stated on their checklist, that they may not follow half the time...) and (here is the most important) said Lotus on the valve cover, then it would pass visual!!!!

Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
That's basically all answered in my thread:
Chronicle of a Honda K-series swap.

-Lotus stock engine harness is not used, except for some connectors if you want. You use a Honda K20A2 engine harness. You then need an adapter harness to adapt the K20A2 to the Lotus vehicle harness. Right now the options are to cut and splice in a "universal" k20 adapter harness. Otherwise I can take the Hybrid Racing universal harness and turn it into a plug-and-play harness for a fee.
-The dash is controlled via a Hondata dash converter unit, which again you will need to wire into the conversion harness (or I do it for you in the plug-and-play version).
-OBD functionality is retained assuming you go with the Hondata K-pro ECU, which I highly recommend. In fact the car will actually report the correct VIN if you tell it to, along with some other... stuff. So yes for states without visual or CARB cert it should pass as it should pass an OBD scan.
ageshelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

All of us should put a list together on what is exactly needed to do the swap.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthrowback View Post
All of us should put a list together on what is exactly needed to do the swap.
No two swaps are alike. Some cars are 05, some are 06+. Some do a k20, some k24, some NA, some supercharged, some turbo. Makes it hard to get a list when it depends on what you are doing. There are various threads out there outlining the basic premise. And various parts lists.

Here is a reference for those that don't like searching. Again all swaps are a little different but this is the basics:

Swap kit: Mounts, Axles, Shifter Linkage, Clutch hydrolic cable. Cable Throttle Conversion (if 06+). All innovative. If K24 then need stock Honda CRV side mount or similar aftermarket.

Coolant Hoses: Expect to purchase some misc hose/fittings seperately. Some of the existing hoses get shortened a bit. But overall easy. Use Stock K20A2 thermostat housing (should point down and to the passenger side)

Fuel: I personally just ran a new fuel system. As most people know the stock system kind of sucks anyways as it tends to starve under hard cornering. I ran a surge tank to an aftermarket fuel rail. Although it is likely very easy to simply adapt the fuel line from the stock Lotus/Toyota fuel delivery to the stock Honda Rail if you really want to be cheap.

Oil cooler: Stock K20A2 (and K20Z series as well I believe) all have a oil/water exchanger internally that works very well for a street car.. no need to touch it if just a street car or drag car or something. For a car that will see track time you will want an oil cooler. A sandwich plate with a laminova oil/water exchanger or a sandwich plate with a oil/air exchanger (located in side scoops) both work well.

Wiring: Hybrid Racing "universal" harness, plus DIY splicing and modification of the HR universal harness. Otherwise Hybrid racing universal harness + WhatsADSM PNP conversion.

Dash: Stock dash + Hondata Dash Converter. Otherwise aftermarket dash

ECU: Hondata K-pro or other standalone.

Tune: Custom tune

Intake: Figure a "custom" intake. Although that is easy. Just purchase some pipe/couplers/filter

Exhaust: Hytech offers a swap header and exhaust. Very expensive, but very nice. Otherwise you may be able to find a local shop to fabricate a full system for you.

Intake manifold: RBC fits... but barley. Most people end up using a skunk2 intake manifold simply due to a better fitment. Since you are upgrading the intake manifold many will upgrade the throttle body at the same time.

Idler: Stock Honda EP3 civic idler, or K-Tuned.

Emissions: Figure on a catch can just because. The stock charcoal canister gets removed, you can either run without or can adapt a smaller canister on. I have never run the evap stuff myself although I'm sure it can be done. I think Derek has the full evap system working on his.

That is just the basics, but in reality again the parts list is a case by case basis. Notice I didn't even touch on which engine to use, supercharging/turbocharging, or any aftermarket power upgrades, transmission upgrades, etc which you may want. IMHO that is the biggest reason to swap is the aftermarket and the potential that it brings.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Alist to get the power plant in their, its not that hard. If you go turbo then you would want the 2.4 with he 2.0 head thats what i did on my em2 before it got stolen. But the parts list should be the same. 2.4 would be taller so maybe some fab their but im talking about getting it in their and running it. Custom fab is differnt. I guess the reason why we havnt had one is bc people dont want to post it or maybe mot enough has done it. I want to i think its hondas best motor they made. Im still deciding if i sould turbo the 2zz or swap a k and turbo that puppy. Theirs a nice video of back in the days a tuner boosting a stock k20a2. Motor blew at like 42 psi thats crazy. Did i say it was stock?
Old 10-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

I thought I had heard, at least in the Honda world, that there was a Drive-by-wire throttle body solution.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetthrowback View Post
Alist to get the power plant in their, its not that hard. If you go turbo then you would want the 2.4 with he 2.0 head thats what i did on my em2 before it got stolen. But the parts list should be the same. 2.4 would be taller so maybe some fab their but im talking about getting it in their and running it. Custom fab is differnt. I guess the reason why we havnt had one is bc people dont want to post it or maybe mot enough has done it. I want to i think its hondas best motor they made. Im still deciding if i sould turbo the 2zz or swap a k and turbo that puppy. Theirs a nice video of back in the days a tuner boosting a stock k20a2. Motor blew at like 42 psi thats crazy. Did i say it was stock?
Well then you're welcome for the parts list. That's the rough idea of the parts needed to get something in there and running. Although I am obviously glossing over details. The specifics depend on exactly what car you have what route you take.... but then again what would I know about it

If anyone is interested in more specifics feel free to read more on it or contact those that have done it. I know I answer PMs from people frequently who are considering the swap.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I thought I had heard, at least in the Honda world, that there was a Drive-by-wire throttle body solution.
Newer motors run dbw. However per Hondata the "standalone" (universal) wiring/EMS solution is only available for the cable throttle systems.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Does it look there would be clearance for ITB's?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know that anyone has run them yet... although I thought I saw some pictures floating around on a swap but can't be sure. Tim at Innovative mounts may know more.

In general intake manifold fitment is a tight squeeze as I believe the engine is further forward with the k swap. The critical dimension is the intake manifold mating surface on the head to the firewall. IIRC this dimension is right around 10" maybe a tiny bit more. There are a few manufactures out there for k-series ITBs so you could always call and get some dimensions to have some confidence that they will fit. My *gut* is that most won't or if they do the mouthes will be so close to the firewall it may not be worth anything.

In general I will say I am generally not a fan of ITBs, especially on the k series. You can make quite a bit of power with a standard plenum intake manifold and there are lots of options out there for them. For many (most likely) NA builds you can make roughly the same power with the plenum manifold while keeping great drivability and reliability. If you go ITB then you need to go alpha-n which sucks to tune and drivability will never be what it once was, then you have to deal with setting and maintaining the complex linkage and any reliability issues that can come up there. For the most part I will say they are overrated. For an all out race car looking for every last bit of power and response they make some sense. For the rest of the world they are just something cool to look at and brag about. That's my $.02 anyways.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
ITBs are possible, but due to the position of the firewall, the best way to get the most out of them would be to use a plenum like so....

K20 with Jenvey ITBs and plenum on an S1

Last edited by freezingcoffee; 10-21-2012 at 07:58 PM.
freezingcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Kazz is runing itbs on his set up s2 elise
Old 10-22-2012, 12:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

mil spec connectors

updated list
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztec1382 View Post
updated list
What is this picture?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Exiged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)