The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#3 ·
Very interesting... does this have anything to do with the other short shifter kit that was just announced for Lotus cars?

Looks great though!

P.S. Did you used to make stuff in the MR2 world? Your name sounds extremely familiar for some reason...

#4 ·
Thanks Randy. I have received the information and have agreed to be a premium vendor.

#5 ·
subbed

#7 ·
Yes, I did some in the past in the MR2 world and still love those cars. I have had about 8 different ones in the past. The main one I had was 91 MR2 turbo and went to the Sport Compact Car USCC a few years ago. I had the car to far on the ragged edge with 525+rwhp and 10,000rpm so it went pop a few times to many, but it was so sick and fun when it ran. Of all the 8 MR2's the most fun was my 85 hardtop with a swapped 88SC engine, smaller pulley and sticky kumho tires on spyder rims. It weighted in around 2300-2400lbs and made about 150rwhp.

I did learn one major lesson from all of that and that is reliability. I have a rule now "I need to be able to drive it to work everyday and not worry about my car or it is nto for me". I live by that for my mods I do and will do.

Troy

#14 ·
Dude, WTF? This is too awesome.

So let me ask you these:

1. Have you determined an approximate price for said modification? $250.00 + $15.00 shipping

2. Aside from being adjustable, what is the benefit of installing this as opposed to a short shifter kit?

I am so subscribed to this thread. :coolnana:

#8 ·
The answer to below is no. It has nothing to do that.
HTML:
Very interesting... does this have anything to do with the other short shifter kit that was just announced for Lotus cars?
On a side not. This is a on the transmission side and replaces the stock linkage assembly. The stock assembly has bushings with play and the LETSLA has 4 double sealed ball bearings and 4 rod end bearings. These are also adjustable to the amount of throw you want. So if you want it to be really short shifting then you can adjust that or if you want stock or somewhere in between you can have that also. This works in two ways then, one is the much smoother shifting with less play in the linkage and second is adjustable throw. Win-Win.

I also had a spacer and hardware included to stiffen up the center console area just to add that extra when buying. You can see it on the instructions page.

#9 ·
Wow, 2 shift improvement strategies in 2 days!

:popcorn:

#11 ·
:popcorn:

#12 ·
does this fit a 08 S240 Exige? Also any difference between LHD and RHD?

#20 ·
Bane- A little birdie told me the other one is on the transmission side too... I think JAy has just been jammed and not able to make a good post today in his thread...

In any event, both of these solutions look pretty cool to me. I'm glad something came out- FINALLY. Too bad for the guys selling them that they're both out on the same day though:(

Best,

Phil

#21 ·
Yes, but this one is promising an hour of labor while the other is saying 5 minutes... one is charging $250 + S&H, while the other is saying "significantly less than the B&M option." which I understood to be $250 or so...

How is that possible?

In any case, I am very interested to see how this develops.

#22 ·
A short shifter will just adjust the throw at the cabin shifter side, but not address the issue of the slop in the linkage. The LETSLA way it is adjustable at the linkage side with bearings instead of bushings so even if you like the throw length stock and use it in that configuration it will still be smoother and more precise. The issue is not just the throw length itself, but the precision and accuracy of engagement itself. I hope that makes sense, but my first solution that I came up with was a short throw shifter at the shifter side and did some mechanical advantage ideas and it did not solve the sloppy throw problem so I came up with this solution. Once you drive it even in stock length, not that most will do that, you will see.
HTML:
2. Aside from being adjustable, what is the benefit of installing this as opposed to a short shifter kit?
On the time issue, I can install it in about 5-10 minutes, but I have done it a few times. So realistic I would say someone who is familiar with tools should be able to do it in about 30-45 minutes. I designed it to not require any special tools. The instructions on the site may seem like much but I am anal about being detailed on how to do it. I know once a few people install it and post about how easy it is to install that concern will go out the window.

On another note. This is not the first solution I came up with. I did come up with one at the cabin shifter side that worked, but not good enough for me so that is why I came up with it at the transmission side. I designed it and then had an engineer confirm my designs with SolidWorks.

I am working on the cable, but that is working out a bit harder to get exactly what I want. I did not know that a push-pull cable has so many variables to deal with when manufacturing and I have learned a lot about how to control the loss of motion with the cables. They are also a lot more expensive than I thought, but I plan to sell them basically at cost when you purchase the LETSLA and I will still do that for anyone that purchases the LETSLA now.
HTML:
I would like to see the shifter cable being available at the same time. (keep shipping costs down and surgery one time not twice)
I will post some more pictures tonight to show the precision of the parts. It is a shame it is basically hidden under there when installed because it looks so good.

#25 ·
:clap: Its about time that we have something to improve shifting. The more choices the better. But this will not improve shifting under load due to the soft stock engine mount right?

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
It does a little bit, but really only when cold or when trying to put it in a gear that you should not. Like putting it from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop sign and you are doing it when going to fast without matching revs. Now, when you shift under normal load it is like butter and just falls into place. This feels easier and better than stock and I attribute this to the smooth flow, precision of the LETSLA with the bearings. So it is harder, but when driving normal conditions it actually feels lighter. I hope that long winded answer makes sense.
How much is the shift effort increased with this kit? Shorter throw = less leverage = more force needed.
I have not worked on a RHD, but I am thinking the linkage should be the same. This should work find on the 08 as I do not believe they have changed the linkage at the transmission side, but they did change the shifter and the cables so this should work even better on the S240. I did drive an S240 before I got my Elise and this now feels much better than the S240.
does this fit a 08 S240 Exige? Also any difference between LHD and RHD?
Newman. I am glad you brought this up. When I first modified the stock shift linkage on the transmission side to find a quick and easy solution I did find that some parts could bind when doing it that way. I first used some scotty bolts and rod bearings but found this shortened the shifting, but was slopped and would not go into gear as well so I ditched it quick. The LETSLA does not change the angle or location of the cables and is well within the tolerance range of the stock cable and actually helps. I looked at making a new replacement cable plate, but the stock worked just as well so no need at all. The LETSLA actually has less movement and possibility of binding since the LETSLA uses a mechanical advantage in the control arms with multiple sealed ball bearings to advance the short shifting and has less movement in the cable.
I have first hand experience with adjusting the attachment point of the cables on the linkage assembly in my lotus, and found that modifying it without relocating the cable's mounting point caused binding at random times.
Newman again. You could not be more wrong. I am working on getting new cables made with much better specs than the stock cable. They are making me a sample now to test out for loss of motion and friction. I should have them in a couple of weeks as that part has taken longer than I hoped, but that part is from a specialty maker so I am at their whim. I will have to order at least 100 cables to get a good cost and will see how much it costs. I will sell these at cost to pass it on to the Lotus community.
I'm not saying that couldn't be done, but I think a Toyota OEM shift cable is very expensive. Could be a 500 dollar short shifter all said and done. I am only speculating, though.
One more note. I am in Fredericksburg VA if anyone wants to try it out in my car yourself. Just send me a note and we can meet up, but this is not a joy ride my car session. :)

#33 ·
Personally I think Troy has nailed this one. Rod end bearing will smooth things out. I have built several airplanes and always use quality rod end bearings on the controls. The ease of movement and crispness of actuation is dramatically increased. The ability to shorten the shifter is bonus.

Count me in for the first one.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

#42 ·
+1 - I have installed several short shift kits on other cars in the past. To date, these have been just the basic shortened/adjustable shift lever replacements on the transmission side that utilized the OEM pivot bushings and OEM shift cable endlinks. The sealed cartridge bearings and the spherical rod end bearings sealed the deal for me. I am excited about the apparent quality and attention to detail this kit seems to offer. I have already sent my payment!

#35 ·
Phil, sorry, but you are like number 8 so far today.
HTML:
Count me in for the first one.
BTW- I got a nice big heavy box of hardware today (bolts, nuts, washers). The UPS man rocks. I also confirmed that I will have the first batch of the final part run on the CNC lathe on Tuesday next week so I should have them at the end of next week. I can then ship them out the beginning of the following week.

#37 ·
Sorry EliseAtLeast, I did miss answering your question. I found it to be better in all conditions. I have stock mounts right now in my car. I even purchased the inserts to put in from someone on the board and have not installed them yet as I wanted to see just how it shifted with everything stock first including the stock cables. I went out last weekend and shifted as hard and fast as I could in every way I could think of. I was actually do everything I could to try to break it and was making sure it was overbuilt as expected. I am sure my transmission is not happy about it at all, but the LETSLA never failed. The only thing that was tired was my arm from jamming the gear shifter every way possible as hard as possible.
HTML:
I feel left out since you didn't answer my question  Anyway, will this improve shifting under load due to the soft stock engine mount?

#39 ·
300HpMR2. I am glad to see that I am not forgotten over there. I still think I have the highest revving MR2. I still go to the board and read on posts from now and then. Then it brings a little depression on missing my old MR2's. I took some time off for a few years because I build my house and that took over 2 years. I did a lot of work myself and love what I have done. I also built a nice big shop here now so I can complete the projects I always wanted. All I have to do is open my front door and walk out to the shop with all the amenities I wanted. I made a deal with my wife in that if we get a nice big house when it is done I can get my dream car, the Elise. I had to sell my MR2's for the cash to build the house and deal without having a mid engine car for a while, but now I feel complete again. :nanner:

I also get at least one email a week about the flushmount light kits and every once in a while about the intakes.
HTML:
Oh yeah. Trueleo intake manifolds and flushmount headlight kits for the mkii mr2!

Good to see you're still around and good luck with the Elise/Exige parts your developing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.