The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#330 ·
Just did a quick test drive in the parking lot at DRS...shifter is really great a solid improvement. You'll need to bolster the rest of the shifter assembly like with Stan's mod or the Sector mod since this will cause the whole casing to move more since it's more solid. It was set on stock left to right, and one setting shorter on up and down - will report after the track to see if it feels good there too, I would imagine so.

#332 ·
I am shipping off a batch of orders tomorrow and should have just about all the outstanding orders done. I already shipped off one batch on Monday. With all the orders I have done I am now out of stock. :eek: I have already ordered another large batch of parts, but it will take about 3 weeks to get the parts done from the one CNC machine shop. I have most of the rest of manufactured parts already for this next batch.

So if you order now that is fine, it will just take about 3 weeks to get your kit. On the good note I will keep the price the same for about another week as a preproduction price for this batch and to give people that planned on buying it at this price a chance to do so. I do not think it would be fair to just say the price is higher without notice. I will be raising the price a little bit in a week. I am just getting all the costs of this batch in and will do the new cost based on that here very soon. The new cost will still be way low for this product at only around $300 each. I will put the new pricing on the site in about a week.

Troy

#333 ·
I will be raising the price a little bit in a week. I am just getting all the costs of this batch in and will do the new cost based on that here very soon. The new cost will still be way low for this product at only around $300 each. I will put the new pricing on the site in about a week.

Troy
Thanks for the headup :up: I guess I have to place my order real soon.

#334 ·
One quick thing to add, I did this in conjunction with Innovative engine mounts and I would suggest the same for anyone really wanting a 1-2 punch. The more precise shifting will force your blips and heal toes to be better and almost perfect otherwise your synchros and gears will start taking the buffer from the bad timing. The combination of the two will probably make me relearn some bad habits into better ones, but that's a good thing.

#335 ·
Yes...thanks for the update on the price. Just ordered mine.....

#339 ·
Got mine today, toyed with the idea of powder coating it or painting it and decided it didn't need either. The fit and finish is great. I screwed the heim ends on all the way and did not need any further adjustment at the shifter. I didn't get to drive it when I was done but the feel is nice and tight, very positive engagement, I didn't change from the as shipped positions. I couldn't find an additional picture to add to the instructions. Make sure you pay very close attention to the following,
"I really like taking the L bracket off the LETSLA and install the base with the crossgate first. Tip when you install it (the base) make sure you pull up the double rod end that will connect to the L bracket or you will trap it there (under the base) and have to remove the base to get it out. I almost trapped it, it would have sucked.

#340 ·
Help Please

Received mine yesterday.

Can someone please upload or email me a picture of all the parts that are supposed to be in the box. I've looked at all the pictures on the product page and I think something is missing/irregular about the contents of the parts I received. I have emailed & PM'd Troy, but haven't heard back yet.

#342 ·
Received mine yesterday.

Can someone please upload or email me a picture of all the parts that are supposed to be in the box. I've looked at all the pictures on the product page and I think something is missing/irregular about the contents of the parts I received. I have emailed & PM'd Troy, but haven't heard back yet.
Here you go:

Attachments

#341 ·
Troy, I installed the new "deeper cut" cable shield last night (took about 15 minutes) and now I can hit 3rd gear again! It's a pure joy shifting through ALL SIX of my forward gears now!

Kudos! That was the biggest thing I hated about the car - the sloppy shifter!

Now if I can just do something about my loud exhaust ;)

#346 ·
Top photo looks the same as mine including the end of the "L" shape bracket. Bottom photo looks like it has arm attached that is on the car, and links the L bracket to the inertia gear.

Looks to me like you have all right stuff.

I'm sure Troy will clarify, he was very responsive to my questions.

#348 ·
Looks they are very well designed and made.

One thing is always in my mind. Because I do not know how much force applied at these parts/joints when you shift hard, how do you figure out the strength of the material you need to use? The original ones are all galvanized iron material.
Can aluminum parts handle the max force without FATIGUE happening after many years' of use? Shift is one of the most critical parts related to safety.

I read most posts but if this has been already asked and answered pardon me.

#349 ·
Was very curious as to why such a beautifully designed/machined piece was cut off after the fact and how it will affect durability.
Mine came the same way, I assumed that the machinist tried to maximize number of parts that he could get from the block of material, I don't think it was done after the fact. It was a little annoying to see that when all the rest looked so nice.

#350 ·
On the pictures that are posted below. That is the stock double rod end that goes from the bellcrank to the inertia. I just had it out and took pics of it installed on the LETSLA. I tried installing the LETSLA with this connect already and then bolt it up to the inertia when in. There is a 12mm nut on the end there and it was such a huge PITA to get it on I said the heck with that way to install it and just take off the bellcrank arm now as described in the directions.

On the bellcrank being shaved a little bit I had to do that to make sure it clears the rod end that goes on the corssgate lever when in the shortest position. I noticed that when there it would hit by about 2mm so I just had that shaved off and sanded smooth. On the next batch that will simple be done when machining the part in the CNC and look smoother. It will function the same way the LETSLA is so overbuilt there is not issue there. I designed the LETSLA and sent the drawings to an engineering firm to put them into the CAD and IGS files in SolidWorks for me. I explained the application and loads that will be on it and they laughed at the material I choose. They tried to talk me into material that was much smaller in thickness and would do the job, but I choose thicker to be safe and that size did not cost much more since it is a common size material.

On the pricing I am waiting on the final price from one CNC supplier as they charge per hour and when the run is done tomorrow or over the weekend I can have final pricing. I did start keeping track of all my time it has taken to do these, all my costs of materials and supplies plus the cost of running a business. I got a little depressed for a moment and wondered why I did not just put .org on the end of my site when I got it. It is a good thing for me I am happy, satisfied and proud if I have people using a part I designed and came up with that makes our cars that much better and more enjoyable to drive. With that in mind I do need to raise prices and will put it on my site over the weekend, but I will give a heads up before I do it.

#353 ·
I just received a package from The USA, to my surprise it was a new cable sheath protector. I had to cut mine shorter to make it fit, Troy must have picked up on this and sent me a replacement at no cost and I didn't even ask for it.That's service !!!!
Thanks Troy, I will fit it when I get time but for now the shifter is great.

#355 ·
mine came today.
:panic:

Time to get er done so to speak.

Wonder if this is one of those projects I should do without the help of my whiskey and coke combo...:shrug:

#356 ·
mine came in today too!!!

:clap:

I've yet to open the box...later tonight after I put the kids down for the evening.

#357 · (Edited)
can't get any gear except 4th

ruh row.....I can't seem to get the thing to go into any gear other than 4th......

trying all the adjustments and not having much luck.

throw adjustments are set on those as shipped.

I think its the crossgate adjustment based on my moving bits attached to transmission...lets see.

ok, got er done. HOLY HELL THAT"S a short throw...gotta lengthen that a little. seems too short (is there such a thing?)

EDIT
After tinkering some more I believe that the 3 inch sleeve is hitting the heim joint on the shift cable when I try to go into 1,3,5)

I removed clamp and it is on as far as it will go...It is going into the gears, but it doesn't feel like the throw is equal (1,3,5 VS 2,4,6) So I'm wondering if its maybe only partially engaging....which might be BAD juju for my transmissions lifespan

#358 ·
ruh row.....I can't seem to get the thing to go into any gear other than 4th......

trying all the adjustments and not having much luck.

throw adjustments are set on those as shipped.

I think its the crossgate adjustment based on my moving bits attached to transmission...lets see.

ok, got er done. HOLY HELL THAT"S a short throw...gotta lengthen that a little. seems too short (is there such a thing?)

EDIT
After tinkering some more I believe that the 3 inch sleeve is hitting the heim joint on the shift cable when I try to go into 1,3,5)

I removed clamp and it is on as far as it will go...It is going into the gears, but it doesn't feel like the throw is equal (1,3,5 VS 2,4,6) So I'm wondering if its maybe only partially engaging....which might be BAD juju for my transmissions lifespan
It may be that you have the wrong sleeve on the wrong cable. Thats where I would start. The heim should not touch the sleeve on either one. The longer sleeve should be on the cable on the passenger side and the short sleeve should be on the cable on the drivers side according to the pics in the instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.