LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 09:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Bane- A little birdie told me the other one is on the transmission side too... I think JAy has just been jammed and not able to make a good post today in his thread...

In any event, both of these solutions look pretty cool to me. I'm glad something came out- FINALLY. Too bad for the guys selling them that they're both out on the same day though

Best,

Phil
Yes, but this one is promising an hour of labor while the other is saying 5 minutes... one is charging $250 + S&H, while the other is saying "significantly less than the B&M option." which I understood to be $250 or so...

How is that possible?

In any case, I am very interested to see how this develops.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
the1sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

A short shifter will just adjust the throw at the cabin shifter side, but not address the issue of the slop in the linkage. The LETSLA way it is adjustable at the linkage side with bearings instead of bushings so even if you like the throw length stock and use it in that configuration it will still be smoother and more precise. The issue is not just the throw length itself, but the precision and accuracy of engagement itself. I hope that makes sense, but my first solution that I came up with was a short throw shifter at the shifter side and did some mechanical advantage ideas and it did not solve the sloppy throw problem so I came up with this solution. Once you drive it even in stock length, not that most will do that, you will see.
HTML Code:
2. Aside from being adjustable, what is the benefit of installing this as opposed to a short shifter kit?
On the time issue, I can install it in about 5-10 minutes, but I have done it a few times. So realistic I would say someone who is familiar with tools should be able to do it in about 30-45 minutes. I designed it to not require any special tools. The instructions on the site may seem like much but I am anal about being detailed on how to do it. I know once a few people install it and post about how easy it is to install that concern will go out the window.

On another note. This is not the first solution I came up with. I did come up with one at the cabin shifter side that worked, but not good enough for me so that is why I came up with it at the transmission side. I designed it and then had an engineer confirm my designs with SolidWorks.

I am working on the cable, but that is working out a bit harder to get exactly what I want. I did not know that a push-pull cable has so many variables to deal with when manufacturing and I have learned a lot about how to control the loss of motion with the cables. They are also a lot more expensive than I thought, but I plan to sell them basically at cost when you purchase the LETSLA and I will still do that for anyone that purchases the LETSLA now.
HTML Code:
I would like to see the shifter cable being available at the same time. (keep shipping costs down and surgery one time not twice)
I will post some more pictures tonight to show the precision of the parts. It is a shame it is basically hidden under there when installed because it looks so good.
2005 Elise -LR,SP,HT,T, Trueleo LETSLA, Custom larger side scoops, Custom side skirts, Exige grills, Stage II exhaust, FF splitter, Air2Gel seat foam, Stripes, Eliminator, BWR SC kit, Fidanza flywheel, ACT HD, Custom SC headers, Custom PPE header, Custom 3" exhaust with Borla muffler, Difflow Railer jr, Direzza star specs, R4S pads
TroyLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

How much is the shift effort increased with this kit? Shorter throw = less leverage = more force needed.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:38 AM   #24 (permalink)

Ohhh.... Choices. This looks very interesting.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #25 (permalink)

Its about time that we have something to improve shifting. The more choices the better. But this will not improve shifting under load due to the soft stock engine mount right?

'13 Scion FR-S (Whiteout)
'07 Lotus Exige S (Aspen White) Touring, Traction, Starshield
'04 BMW 330 ci (White)
EliseAtLeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

I have first hand experience with adjusting the attachment point of the cables on the linkage assembly in my lotus, and found that modifying it without relocating the cable's mounting point caused binding at random times.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
I have first hand experience with adjusting the attachment point of the cables on the linkage assembly in my lotus, and found that modifying it without relocating the cable's mounting point caused binding at random times.
Tracktimeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz View Post
The spherical bearing that he supplies may help alleviate this, but the binding occurred where the cable entered the housing, I don't see how the bearing could change this much...
Old 01-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
The spherical bearing that he supplies may help alleviate this, but the binding occurred where the cable entered the housing, I don't see how the bearing could change this much...
So the angle where the cable enters causes enough resistance to bind? No special sheathe or lubrication could alleviate this?
Tracktimeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz View Post
So the angle where the cable enters causes enough resistance to bind? No special sheathe or lubrication could alleviate this?
I'm not saying that couldn't be done, but i think a toyota OEM shift cable is very expensive. Could be a 500 dollar short shifter all said and done. I am only speculating, though.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #31 (permalink)

Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #32 (permalink)

It does a little bit, but really only when cold or when trying to put it in a gear that you should not. Like putting it from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop sign and you are doing it when going to fast without matching revs. Now, when you shift under normal load it is like butter and just falls into place. This feels easier and better than stock and I attribute this to the smooth flow, precision of the LETSLA with the bearings. So it is harder, but when driving normal conditions it actually feels lighter. I hope that long winded answer makes sense.
Quote:
How much is the shift effort increased with this kit? Shorter throw = less leverage = more force needed.
I have not worked on a RHD, but I am thinking the linkage should be the same. This should work find on the 08 as I do not believe they have changed the linkage at the transmission side, but they did change the shifter and the cables so this should work even better on the S240. I did drive an S240 before I got my Elise and this now feels much better than the S240.
Quote:
does this fit a 08 S240 Exige? Also any difference between LHD and RHD?
Newman. I am glad you brought this up. When I first modified the stock shift linkage on the transmission side to find a quick and easy solution I did find that some parts could bind when doing it that way. I first used some scotty bolts and rod bearings but found this shortened the shifting, but was slopped and would not go into gear as well so I ditched it quick. The LETSLA does not change the angle or location of the cables and is well within the tolerance range of the stock cable and actually helps. I looked at making a new replacement cable plate, but the stock worked just as well so no need at all. The LETSLA actually has less movement and possibility of binding since the LETSLA uses a mechanical advantage in the control arms with multiple sealed ball bearings to advance the short shifting and has less movement in the cable.
Quote:
Newman again. You could not be more wrong. I am working on getting new cables made with much better specs than the stock cable. They are making me a sample now to test out for loss of motion and friction. I should have them in a couple of weeks as that part has taken longer than I hoped, but that part is from a specialty maker so I am at their whim. I will have to order at least 100 cables to get a good cost and will see how much it costs. I will sell these at cost to pass it on to the Lotus community.
Quote:
I'm not saying that couldn't be done, but I think a Toyota OEM shift cable is very expensive. Could be a 500 dollar short shifter all said and done. I am only speculating, though.
One more note. I am in Fredericksburg VA if anyone wants to try it out in my car yourself. Just send me a note and we can meet up, but this is not a joy ride my car session.
2005 Elise -LR,SP,HT,T, Trueleo LETSLA, Custom larger side scoops, Custom side skirts, Exige grills, Stage II exhaust, FF splitter, Air2Gel seat foam, Stripes, Eliminator, BWR SC kit, Fidanza flywheel, ACT HD, Custom SC headers, Custom PPE header, Custom 3" exhaust with Borla muffler, Difflow Railer jr, Direzza star specs, R4S pads

Last edited by Mr. Know; 04-13-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: fixed formatting
Old 01-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #33 (permalink)

Personally I think Troy has nailed this one. Rod end bearing will smooth things out. I have built several airplanes and always use quality rod end bearings on the controls. The ease of movement and crispness of actuation is dramatically increased. The ability to shorten the shifter is bonus.

Count me in for the first one.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #34 (permalink)

I feel left out since you didn't answer my question Anyway, will this improve shifting under load due to the soft stock engine mount?

'04 BMW 330 ci (White)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #35 (permalink)

Phil, sorry, but you are like number 8 so far today.
HTML Code:
Count me in for the first one.
BTW- I got a nice big heavy box of hardware today (bolts, nuts, washers). The UPS man rocks. I also confirmed that I will have the first batch of the final part run on the CNC lathe on Tuesday next week so I should have them at the end of next week. I can then ship them out the beginning of the following week.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
Did you used to make stuff in the MR2 world? Your name sounds extremely familiar for some reason...
Oh yeah. Truleo intake manifolds and flushmount headlight kits for the mkii mr2!

Good to see you're still around and good luck with the Elise/Exige parts your developing!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

Sorry EliseAtLeast, I did miss answering your question. I found it to be better in all conditions. I have stock mounts right now in my car. I even purchased the inserts to put in from someone on the board and have not installed them yet as I wanted to see just how it shifted with everything stock first including the stock cables. I went out last weekend and shifted as hard and fast as I could in every way I could think of. I was actually do everything I could to try to break it and was making sure it was overbuilt as expected. I am sure my transmission is not happy about it at all, but the LETSLA never failed. The only thing that was tired was my arm from jamming the gear shifter every way possible as hard as possible.
HTML Code:
I feel left out since you didn't answer my question  Anyway, will this improve shifting under load due to the soft stock engine mount?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyLotus View Post
Sorry EliseAtLeast, I did miss answering your question. I found it to be better in all conditions.
Thats what I wanted to hear.

'04 BMW 330 ci (White)
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #39 (permalink)

300HpMR2. I am glad to see that I am not forgotten over there. I still think I have the highest revving MR2. I still go to the board and read on posts from now and then. Then it brings a little depression on missing my old MR2's. I took some time off for a few years because I build my house and that took over 2 years. I did a lot of work myself and love what I have done. I also built a nice big shop here now so I can complete the projects I always wanted. All I have to do is open my front door and walk out to the shop with all the amenities I wanted. I made a deal with my wife in that if we get a nice big house when it is done I can get my dream car, the Elise. I had to sell my MR2's for the cash to build the house and deal without having a mid engine car for a while, but now I feel complete again.

I also get at least one email a week about the flushmount light kits and every once in a while about the intakes.
HTML Code:
Oh yeah. Trueleo intake manifolds and flushmount headlight kits for the mkii mr2!

Good to see you're still around and good luck with the Elise/Exige parts your developing!
Old 01-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

Here is a pic of some the parts pre assembly and the stock assembly. As you can see the stock assembly has some holes drilled in it when I was trying to find a quick and easy fix, but that did not work.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)