The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#185 ·
I just placed my order...

Troy, you're nuts! I can't even justify making one of these for myself at the price you're charging. As soon as you ship and process my order, you should raise the price:D

Cheers,

Phil

#186 ·
Just ordered via your website, Troy... can't wait to join the legions of overjoyed users!

Thanks for taking the time to put these out! :clap:

#190 ·
Here's a short video of 1st through 3rd gears, which will visually demonstrate the throw distances.

Installed in '05 Elise. Adjusted to the shortest throw possible. Not road tested. Car not running. Cold transmission. I've not made any adjustments to the cables.

YouTube - LETSLA

Sorry the video is sideways, but this was the only way I could hold the camera and shift at the same time.

#199 ·
WOW. Thanks for all the kind words. I knew by the reaction whenever anyone got in my own car and it feels it was worth making. I went through like 5 different versions and ideas over a few months before I got it just where it is with everything I wanted.

On the directions I have done it so many times myself now I forget the little things and I do not have a good camera (iphone only). If anyone wants to take good pics and send them to me I can put them up to try to make it easier. If anyone wants to email me any fixes to the directions or other ideas on directions please feel free to as I love feedback. Also, taking apart the LETSLA does make the install easier IMOP, but there are different ways to install it. I have heard it taking from 30 minutes to 3 hours so slot some time, take your time and it will work out fine. If you have any questions just email me your number and I can call you. I just do not want to give my number out on a forum.

Thanks for the video, that is good stuff.

I also tried to make the kit as comprehensive as possible and include everything needed. I also tried to give options on where the shift is as some want stock, some want super short like myself and there is in between. I did not want just some short throw shifter and you are stuck with a position you might not like. I even threw in a ziptie for the front console leather boot just to be anal.

I do have some in stock right now that I am going to ship out, but I need to check all my orders. I am having another production run of parts shipped to me this week so I will have plenty in stock for everyone. If I did not ship this week it will be Monday/Tuesday of next.

#200 ·
I just placed the order for the shift kit. I will be installing it on the 2-11. I just met with Dave Simkins and Abraham of Lotus this past Monday and we spoke briefly about your kit. they are interested in knowing how it works and holds up.
I will be letting them know and I will give you a running report after the car goes out on track.
Hoping for the best,

Al B.
Houston.

#202 ·
Thanks... I'll lock tight all the bolts that run threw the bearings etc before installing and then get the ones on the heim joints after I find the settings I like. I'm thinking of clear coating it as well since my car sits outside in the rain. Going to try to install it after work tomorrow..

#206 ·
Go buy tools, lol... Check out the instructions, It requires only a few basic tools that you can throw in a small tool bag to store in the trunk in case of an emergency. Tool stores are like crack for me... It's all want want want when I walk in to them... :D

#207 ·
I just placed my order. My reverse lock-out ring crapped out today, so I figure if I have to start fishing around in there, this would be a much better addition...my first mod on the Lotus! :coolnana:

And I thought I'd better order before Troy takes Phil's advice and raises the price!

Tom

#208 ·
Haha, just jumped on the wagon too... and while Troy COULD charge more for this (and likely should)... at this price point, he'll ship a TON out. Better to have more units out there raising more awareness of the mod (to generate more business) than a high margin but only a few people with it.

Hope he's still turning a decent margin on these though... gotta recoup that R&D cost and the initial low volume markups of the first orders/machining costs!

Unless he has his own CNC mill that we're unaware of....

#209 ·
Mine has been installed (by Troy) for a couple of weeks now. It's still the best mod I've done to my car. I have it on the shortest throw and it feels great.

#210 ·
Placed my order.

#211 ·
I actually do assemble the entire unit with blue loctite on all threads. So if you decided to change the location just make sure you use some more on when doing it. Also, I have found when you thread in alum and use red loctite you can mess up the threads when taking the bolt out and have to retap. So it is great stuff if you plan on never taking the bolt out again or have a really good tap and die set.

HTML:
Negative. In terms of throw, Troy has no idea what each customer will prefer . Therefore, Loc-Tite was not used during assembly.
I should also note that installs are free if you come to my place on weekends. It is not a big deal and then we get to talk lotus, cars or whatever for a while so it is a win win. Just email me and we can make arrangements.

On the price I will probably be raising prices in a bit. My one machine shop flaked out and the price was super nice that I was quoted and got the first batch done. He said the parts took way longer to do and had to charge way more now so I can take that new price, which is more, but I do like the quality so I think I will stick with him. I have also now included the CNC cable bracket and sheath protectors that I did not have in my original cost sheet so my cost has gone up some. It will not be much of an increase so no worries out there. If you take it all the way apart you will realize how many parts there is and all of them are not cheap. Almost every part is custom made or a special order item.

I also did not realized that there were than many people waiting to order until people installed them themselves. I am very happy and thank you, but I had a ton of orders come in yesterday and today so I am not going to be able to ship all the orders out this week and will ship them out on Monday/Tuesday next week. No worries as I have enough to fill all orders.

#214 ·
damn, wife just bought an Elise, now I need 2 of em....my pockets are gonna get empty fast..:sad:

#218 ·
Yes. Mine is on an 07 Exige. I have plenty of seat time in 05's (owned a couple Elise's, including Troy's) and an 06 Exige (sold to another Ltalker).

The shifters between years have little if any difference, and what difference there might be probably has more to do with manufacturing tolerances than any difference in design.

The difference in my 07 Exige with the LETSLA is remarkable. Bull30 has one in his 08 S240, and he's a fan. I've shifted Troy's own car (05) and it feels amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.