The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#219 ·
I want to go. I just need to look up all the details.
HTML:
Troy, if you're planning on being at LOG29
I am going to have a busy weekend for sure working on all the orders.

I will also have some updated directions up soon that flow better. All the same info, just much nicer to look at.

#221 ·
I'll go for a kit. Probably doing PayPal.

#224 ·
Installed my kit last night. Absolutely love it... I have 2 herniated disks that are friggen killing me at the moment from doing the install, but it was worth the pain. I would highly recommend this to anyone that drives the crap out of their car.

#227 ·
I have a quick question regarding this product...is there any relationship between the throw length selected and the reduced sloppiness of the stock shifting mechanism?

I ask this question because I plan to stay near the stock shift length, but want to tighten up my shifter.

Thanks.

#228 ·
The ball bearings on the linkages and rod end bearings are what take out most of the slop. There is still some in the cable as all push pull cables have some loss of motion in them. So there will be less slop for sure, but I have not found that the throw length you choose it will feel the same except for throw length.

HTML:
I have a quick question regarding this product...is there any relationship between the throw length selected and the reduced sloppiness of the stock shifting mechanism?

I ask this question because I plan to stay near the stock shift length, but want to tighten up my shifter.
Thanks
I will check this out for sure.
HTML:
All the details can be found at LOG 29

#230 ·
Yes, it does look like you have wear. I had the black piece on my '05.

The piece, when attached to the crossgate arm, fits into a small slot on the transmission. My piece came off the arm and was stuck in the small slot (happened when I removed the assembly). Took me forever to find the piece.:mad:

#233 ·
What is the "rectangular plastic cover"? What should us '05 owners be wary of before we install?
If you look at Jim's post #243 you will see a photo of the end of the cross gate arm. There is a small black plastic rectangular piece that fits on the "nub" protruding from the arm.

The black plastic piece is small, and easily slides off the end of the "nub". It can fall off when removing the arm, and given it's size, could easily be lost.

This black piece, when attached to the cross gate, fits into a groove on the transmission (sorry, I don't know the technical name for the part it slides into). You won't be able to see where the groove is, but you can feel it with your fingers.

Just a note: As I recall, the instructions state to remove the 2 "Allen" screws holing the center console in. On my vehicle, they were actually torx screws.

I found it easier to remove the cup holder and shroud between the seats to facilitate removal of the center console. Given the length of the shift lever and positioning of the dash, I was unable to lift the console up enough. Removing the cup holder and releasing the C-clips from the transmission cables made it much more easy. There is one phillips screw in the bottom of the cup holder, and two phillips screws holding the shroud in place.

#234 ·
Jim
All the cars come with the plastic black piece and the wear marks are there from that. Mine looks like that also when I took it out. When I did one install I dropped the piece also, but I knew I dropped it since I was feeling for it. I never heard it drop as it was plastic and could not see it. I had to take the pan off to find it and it was sitting on top of one of the black little are inlet things. I also found that if I take a rubber mallet or something soft I can tap on the bottom of the pan and plastic cover or missing bolt would bounce and I could see where it is so I can get it. You do need that piece.
HTML:
Has any done a 2005 Elise?

I didn't see a rectangular plastic cover on my cross-gate lever.

My cross-gate lever end has wear marks. Looks like my car never had a cover.

#235 ·
There are new directions on the site now. http://www.trueleo.com/Eliselinkageinstall.htm

I have also added different buy now options for when you purchase to keep track of which car you have instead of the comments field. If you purchased in the last week email me if you have an 07-08 car to make sure you get the kit with the correct sheath protector size in it (everything else is the same).

#237 ·
Damn you TroyLotus why must you tempt me so?!?!?!?!?!? :panic:

#240 ·
Thanks Jim - I am waiting impatiently for the arrival of the kit and have memorized the fitting instructions from reading them so often, but was having trouble visualizing this part.
Then all I have to wait for is the weather to warm up a bit.......

#246 ·
I just paid for mine on pay pal. I couldn't resist. I have not had my Elise very long but I definitely noticed that the shifting was less than desirable. I was also reading the recent Car and Driver track day article and the supercharged Elise really did not perform that well at all and they blamed it on the poor shifting. It was outperformed by numerous cars that it should have easily beat. I look forward to this modification.

#247 ·
Jim,
I am glad you found it. You had me worried as that little plastic piece is small and could fall somewhere and never been seen again since it is flat black. I put mine in my trunk once and it blended in perfect with the carpet and the lighting I had. An hour later it was right where I left it for safe keeping and I found it. :crazyeyes These things happen.

#248 ·
order sent

well i sold the wheels off my 350z, so this is one of the parts I'm ordering for the Elise. payment sent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.