LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
Both of you I don't understand...someone posts a picture on one site...and it's inconceivable that someone else on the planet, having spent a good deal of time thinking about the problem might not have thought a similar thing? By definition, a good solution is the correct one, therefore it is natural more than one person, in fact many would want to do the same thing. I've seen with my own eyes mods that someone has done on the shifter side...probably similar to what Choi is working on. These things happen.

Mainelotus, you've always seemed more reasonable than that, absolutes are for people who are close minded individuals. Fortunately the world isn't that simple. If you so desire you may want to start another thread on here about your paranoia that people are stealing ideas, and build your case with quotes, pictures, time stamps, etc and THEN call this guy a thief. I don't mean that in any sarcastic way, I am being serious. On this thread I'd like to hear about peoples' impressions as they start installing these things. This TroyLotus guy, if he's made parts before on other platforms (and he has)...chances are he at least knows his way around a car and understands how to make things better. Even higher of a chance he doesn't go around snooping for tiny solutions to things that should be obvious to someone who is developing a solution for this stuff. Make sense?
Peter, thank you for the character analysis and the name calling. Amazing how much you were able to analyze from one sentence. If you don't like my posts, simply add me to your ignore list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz View Post
Both of you I don't understand...someone posts a picture on one site...and it's inconceivable that someone else on the planet, having spent a good deal of time thinking about the problem might not have thought a similar thing? By definition, a good solution is the correct one, therefore it is natural more than one person, in fact many would want to do the same thing. I've seen with my own eyes mods that someone has done on the shifter side...probably similar to what Choi is working on. These things happen.

Mainelotus, you've always seemed more reasonable than that, absolutes are for people who are close minded individuals. Fortunately the world isn't that simple. If you so desire you may want to start another thread on here about your paranoia that people are stealing ideas, and build your case with quotes, pictures, time stamps, etc and THEN call this guy a thief. I don't mean that in any sarcastic way, I am being serious. On this thread I'd like to hear about peoples' impressions as they start installing these things. This TroyLotus guy, if he's made parts before on other platforms (and he has)...chances are he at least knows his way around a car and understands how to make things better. Even higher of a chance he doesn't go around snooping for tiny solutions to things that should be obvious to someone who is developing a solution for this stuff. Make sense?
Geez - over-react much?

I don't see anyone (aside from you) calling anyone a "thief". Its either a coincidence or its not - I could care less.

Frank posts pictures of his install and then a couple days later this springs up, which is what we pointed out - nothing more, nothing less. My firstblush opinion was the same as Maine's, and given the timing I would hardly say its unreasonable for anyone to draw the same conclusion.

As for assuming that he might have picked up the idea from Frank, the OP's wordsyesterday were:
Quote:
On a side note I did read over Lotustalk threads and others last week that the end of the cables can break and the sheathing can break also.
Considering the timing of this statement mere days after Frank posted pictures of his completed and installed fix, can you really blame us for making assumptions that perhaps the "others" he meant by "and others" could have been the site where the problem was posted a long time ago and the solution was posted just prior to this comment?

I think your reaction is based more on your feelings towards Frank than a logical assessment of the actual content that either of us posted.
Boosted2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #143 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyLotus View Post
I just looked at the thread again. He posted a picture on 2-13-09. I had my design done before that and had it in my car before that. I even put in installs over the weekend of ones that have been made and sitting in my shop. I have sent emails to someone on the forum asking them if they would want to test it out when I was testing out my own long before that picture was posted because I trusted his opinion as a mechanical engineer and he has the LETSLA already installed in his car. I do not steel ideas and he came up with a similar solution because it is a good viable solution. Nothing wrong with that and actually it shows it is a good solution if more than one person came up with the same idea. I have read monkeytuner when someone sent me a link to the site saying that they were bashing me. I did not create an account or try to defend myself as the product will stand up to time and will do its own talking. Just come over and drive my car or someone elses who has it and you will see what it is about. I do not like bashing and will not go back and forth like that. It is not worth the effort and bad energy.
Aslo- Boosted 2.0- Did you used to be on the MR2 board? Did you have an MR2? I seem to remember a boosted 2.0 over there.
I do post on spyderchat if thats what you're talking about.

I did register on MR2OC after I got my alltrac to buy and sell stuff from time to time and to chat about EMS, engine, tubo etc. but my name on there is Griffin not Boosted2.0 and I rarely use that forum. I think there is a guy on there called Boosted2 (as in Boosted MR2) which may be who you are thinking of.

I've had a MK1 MR2 and I also drove a MR2 spyder for a couple months but never bought one. I will probably get one for my wife as a birthday present one of these years though, as she loves the little things and they are a hell of a value for the money.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #144 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusforsale View Post
troy...

The MM guys are bashing you? that's a hoot. I didn't think anybody even went to that site anymore...

Don't sink to that level. Your product is great. You've got boxes of parts ready to assemble to ship to Hong Kong, Japan, australia, across the U.S., and who knows where else?

You have actually contributed something to the Lotus community from which a wide variety of people can enjoy and take advantage of.
Regardless if it's bashing or not, I think the lesson to be learned is to ask questions if you don't understand something. To come to this site (or any other for that matter) and take everything that someone say as gospel isn't too smart. Most of us come here to learn something. We all should be using this board and others like it as a resource to better understand what mods we're putting on our cars and what the possible potential impact is down the road.

'10 Satin White Pearl Subaru Impreza WRX limited
SOLD: '05 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring Pack | Starshield
Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #145 (permalink)

Forget the crap... All I know is that Troy developed the kit, followed through and manufactured the parts and marketed his product... What's best is that it lives up to it's billing at a VERY reasonable price...

I took the car out today for a spin since the weather was so nice and this IS the best mod I have done to my car... I can't tell everyone enough as to how much more enjoyable my car is to drive and I couldn't drive it enough before...

Troy, thanks for taking the time on Sunday to install your shifter kit in my car.
bull30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #146 (permalink)

Boosted2.0. You are probably right and I think I did over react as now I have reread it. Maybe I read in between the lines of the Mainlotus comment about coming up with a solution a while ago when it was just a couple of days based on the posting date. I guess I felt my integrity was in question and I went into defense mode as I pride myself on outstanding integrity. I have materials receipts and email proof I came up with a similar idea before he posted his pictures, but do I need to post those to defend myself? I think I am hypersensitive to it because I put so much effort and time into this project to make sure it is just right and then went and read on some other site all the bashing and they never saw or used the product or know me at all. I did read a few weeks ago when it was brought up about he cable sheath braking and that is what sparked my idea to make the sheath protector as I did not know what was a problem. I have not read every post made for the last 4 years. They can assume I stole the idea, which I did not, and if I did base mine on someone else I would certainly give credit where it is due, but it is not due here. I purchased the material and made some prototypes a week or so ago, before he posted his picture. I just came up with a similar solution on my own to solve the same problem. Mine is different in it covers the sheath and extends it, but the end solution of not having a broken sheath is the same. Both are good ideas and I give Frank credit for a great idea and he has done a lot with his motor and car and I am very impressed with it. We came up with similar ideas and solved the same problem in a similar manner so both have merit.
HTML Code:
Geez - over-react much?
2005 Elise -LR,SP,HT,T, Trueleo LETSLA, Custom larger side scoops, Custom side skirts, Exige grills, Stage II exhaust, FF splitter, Air2Gel seat foam, Stripes, Eliminator, BWR SC kit, Fidanza flywheel, ACT HD, Custom SC headers, Custom PPE header, Custom 3" exhaust with Borla muffler, Difflow Railer jr, Direzza star specs, R4S pads
TroyLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:44 PM   #147 (permalink)

uh... so anyone install anymore? working good ? thoughts?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #148 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyLotus View Post
Boosted2.0. You are probably right and I think I did over react as now I have reread it. Maybe I read in between the lines of the Mainlotus comment about coming up with a solution a while ago when it was just a couple of days based on the posting date. I guess I felt my integrity was in question and I went into defense mode as I pride myself on outstanding integrity. I have materials receipts and email proof I came up with a similar idea before he posted his pictures, but do I need to post those to defend myself? I think I am hypersensitive to it because I put so much effort and time into this project to make sure it is just right and then went and read on some other site all the bashing and they never saw or used the product or know me at all. I did read a few weeks ago when it was brought up about he cable sheath braking and that is what sparked my idea to make the sheath protector as I did not know what was a problem. I have not read every post made for the last 4 years. They can assume I stole the idea, which I did not, and if I did base mine on someone else I would certainly give credit where it is due, but it is not due here. I purchased the material and made some prototypes a week or so ago, before he posted his picture. I just came up with a similar solution on my own to solve the same problem. Mine is different in it covers the sheath and extends it, but the end solution of not having a broken sheath is the same. Both are good ideas and I give Frank credit for a great idea and he has done a lot with his motor and car and I am very impressed with it. We came up with similar ideas and solved the same problem in a similar manner so both have merit.
HTML Code:
Geez - over-react much?
Its the logical solution to the problem to be sure. Beats the hell out of re-designing the entire shift cable (although a nice heavy duty Teleflex ball bearing cable might not be such a bad thing either)

FWIW all I was talking about was that aluminum sheath which is a minimal part of your kit which, while I havent used it, certanly looks really cool.

If you guys REALLY want to start playign with the shifying start looking at the shift shafts and the select shaft - those items are where the actual shift pattern lives, and some slight massaging to the chamfered corners can widen up the gate mouths considerably.

If you want to reduce the strain on the cables you can also look at changing out the springs in the select shaft - if you can still buy the 00 or 01 Celica springs they are way softer.

The downside of all this is it makes it easier to stuff her into the wrong gear.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #149 (permalink)

Did the orders ship?
Jim-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #150 (permalink)
Disingenuous Minion

I'm ready to order also, but waiting to hear results of more than the first couple installs.

Thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #151 (permalink)

I will be shipping out tomorrow.
2005 Elise -LR,SP,HT,T, Trueleo LETSLA, Custom larger side scoops, Custom side skirts, Exige grills, Stage II exhaust, FF splitter, Air2Gel seat foam, Stripes, Eliminator, BWR SC kit, Fidanza flywheel, ACT HD, Custom SC headers, Custom PPE header, Custom 3" exhaust with Borla muffler, Difflow Railer jr, Direzza star specs, R4S pads
Old 02-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #152 (permalink)

craracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #153 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Troylotus, how many you have shipped. I am ready worry about the affect on the gear box.

So, is it time for starting a pull to reflect the comments of this mod?
HKFEVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:10 AM   #154 (permalink)

After looking at this mod it sure looks like TroyLotus is delivering a quality kit with all the bases covered.
'06 Ardent Red Elise - black interior with LSS, Touring, HT, Starshield, Lotus Sport Clutch, Moroso Oil Pan, Ekological HIDs, Lotus Driving Lights, Stebel Horn, Bootie, Razo '06 Pedal mod,Snorkel Delete,Odyssey 680 with s111 bracket.
WOO-HOO!
goelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #155 (permalink)

All shipped out this morning sent via USPS priority. International orders I did the 5-10 day shipping so it should be 1-2 weeks if that long. Each box only weighted in at like 3lbs so not being oversized it should not take long. To all that will install I just ask one thing and that is please read the directions in full, especially the part about adjusting the cable ends at the shifter side when you have it all done. If you have any questions just email me.
Troy
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #156 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamBatman View Post
Not too many people have direct experience with the Elan, but I can't imagine it can be better then the s2k shifter
After owning an Elan for years I'm always amazed how sloppy the gear change is in any newer car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peck555 View Post
After owning an Elan for years I'm always amazed how sloppy the gear change is in any newer car. Just my 2 cents.
are you guys talking about the first gen Elan, or the M100?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #158 (permalink)

The original Elan, the shifter was about 9" long and went directly into the gearbox from the top, a very sweet setup. Damn I miss my Elan s1 RHD.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #159 (permalink)

many cars have that configuration. Its one of the advantages of front engine and RWD.... My mustang has a tight shifter. but its pretty stiff and clunky.
Is the Elan gear box THAT good? or does it have a close ratio+short thow? Or does it have some kind of fancy syncro design?

Sorry for the OT Troy....
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #160 (permalink)

Early Elan shifter

It is that good. It is like a toggle switch-short throw,very light.
The English ford that the gearbox was taken from was not even close to that good. Drive one.
lwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc)