The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LETSLA Short Shifter Linkage

139K views 610 replies 128 participants last post by  dipan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I am introducing the LETSLA. Lotus Elise/Exige Transmission Shifter Linkage Assembly. After months of design and redesign I have the final version in my own car and it works great. It makes the car feel and shift the way it always should have. It will be available to ship in about two-four weeks, but if you want to purchase now to get on the list of one of the first ones to get it you can. I am just waiting on the final batch of a single production part to be run and shipped to me. The pictures do not do it justice as I do not have a high end camera that can take close up pictures. When you see it you will see how it looks like a work for art made for the Lotus.
Trueleo LETSLA

Here is the basic information from the site.
When I first drove the Elise I could not believe how amazing the car was and felt, yet there was one portion that just did not fit in a car of this caliber, the shifting. The stock shifter has so much play and such long throws it feels like we are driving a truck and I found this to be totally unacceptable. I have driven many mid engine cars in the past and the stock Elise has the worst shifter feel and throw by far. We have redesigned the entire linkage assembly in Solidworks at the transmission side. This will replace the linkage assembly at the transmission with an adjustable assembly with 4 sealed cartridge bearings and 4 rod end bearings instead of bushings. It will also have adjustments so the end user can pick how much throw they would desire. This will allow for a much shorter and faster shifting throw with less play for more accurate and direct shifting. The linkage assembly also weights about 1lb and the stock unit is about 3-4lbs. Installation instructions here.

Note- I have the final production model in my own car and the shifting and feel is so much better than I could have even hoped for when designing the assembly. It transforms the driving experience from fumbling with the long throws and bad shifting to a precise and crisp action that just feels perfect in a car of this caliber. We will have detailed installation instructions up soon, but the initial installation was very simple and no special tools are required. Installation should only take about an hour if you are taking your time. Contact us if you have any further questions Troy@Trueleo.com

See less See more
#295 · (Edited by Moderator)
I sent my monies in last Friday but haven't heard anything back.
Any idea when my order would have or will ship?
I shipped out 15 orders on Monday. I have the rest to be shipped out on Monday as I have the final parts in transit and to me tomorrow (Friday). I will do the final assembly and packaging over the weekend and then ship out on Monday.

#306 · (Edited by Moderator)
I sent my monies in last Friday but haven't heard anything back.
Any idea when my order would have or will ship?
I shipped out 15 orders on Monday. I have the rest to be shipped out on Monday as I have the final parts in transit and to me tomorrow (Friday). I will do the final assembly and packaging over the weekend and then ship out on Monday.
Troy, I'm late tothe party but want to dance. Have any left? Let me know if, how and when. Thanks.

#298 ·
Received mine here in the UK yesterday, fitted today. Looks a top quality product. Many thanks Troy

Fitting only took about 1/2 hour, but I do have the clam, intercooler and airbox off at the moment and interior fully stripped.

Big respect to all those who have fitted this kit with all bodywork on

The kit will get its first and a serious work out weekend of the 14th 15th as I have 2 consequtive track days in Northern France.

will update on how it performs

#299 ·
OK I'm in :cool:

#301 ·
Got Mine today and am planning to install Tues Evening after work. Awesome milling on the CNC. Beautiful. Thanks Troy.

#302 ·
Fantastic service

I had a problem with my instal and was left with a stiff change. I sent a PM to Troy and he told me what may be the problem and a "fix". The guy knows what he is about and even offered to send a whole new kit to Australia by fast post immediately to get me out of trouble. That is what I call service!!!! Anyway it is all great and I couldn"t be happier with the product and the service.
Thanks Troy

#303 ·
Started install 1-1/2 hours ago. Just finished step 7: removing the 12mm nut on the bellcrank lever. That last one is a particular b*tch.

Some key tools I had to go get after I started:

- 10" extension for my extended 14mm socket to get the mouning bolts out in step 5. Just too tight to do from under the hoses (but you can access from there). You might need a 12" extension for a regular socket. Troy does mention this in the instructions, don't ignore it.

- Bandaids

- Beer (I thought I could do it without this one, I was wrong)

#304 ·
I installed my Letsla today. Getting started was probably the hardest part - there isn't much room to work and this made it look rather daunting. The whole exercise took me about 4 hours, which included a trip to the store to buy a magnetic retriever after I dropped a nut on to the undertray and another to buy a 7/16th drill for the sheath protector, as I couldn't wait for the replacement to arrive. The hardest part (for me) was removing the console.....
A few observations:
- removing the cable bracket made it easier to reach in and remove the R clips
- in case it isn't obvious, removing the "bonnet" makes access a lot easier
- the plastic part on the end of the crossgate lever was very loose on disassembly - be very careful not to drop it
- after I had the Letsla successfully bolted down, I discovered that the arm that connects to the L shaped piece was trapped and I had to remove the everything to free it - be warned.
- the gearshift won't function until you have the cables attached to the bracket. I was a bit worried at this point, as I thought I had screwed something up, but all was well and after having wrestled with the console for 45 mins I discovered the original settings were the best anyway
- I wasn't sure about how the rubber cable protectors fitted with the sheath protectors. Troy confirmed he just slides them over the protectors as far as the securing clamps. This is a bit awkward - easier if you spray some silicone inside first
- Troy is very helpful - I swapped several e-mails with him during the installation. Don't know how he finds the time.
- it really is pretty simple, just take your time and be careful not to drop stuff. The hardest part is the lack of access. A long socket extension is useful, with an Allen socket to attach the L bracket - it would take for ever with a standard Allen key.

I can't wait to get the car out of storage and try the new shifter - next month! Now on to the Innovative mounts.....:shift:

#305 ·
I'm just starting hour 4 and the fifth beer and just removed the center console.

Some more observations:

- My crossgate rod was slightly bent so wouldn't go in to the sheath protector. After some jostling and a little work with a smaller drill bit than the hole it went on.

- I didn't re-install the rubber boots...don't think that is in the instructions...and having come this far, @#$& it; hope this doesn't screw me up.

- Getting the plastic square part and the end of the crossgate lever back in to the slot it goes in is very tactile, takes a lot of feeling around. Fortunately I did not drop that or anything else, but it would be easy to do.

- My hardware store only had an 8mm allen wrench in one of those folding sets. I took the set apart and used an 8mm open end wrench with the separated 8mm allen tool in the "L bracket" bolt to tighten (step E). This seemed to work ok and avoided another trip to another hardware store looking for a long handle 8mm allen wrench.

- The screws on the sides of my console are torx, but I guess most people know that already.

More later,

#308 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a couple, but I have already ordered another batch so it will all be fine.
Troy, I'm late to the party but want to dance. Have any left? Let me know if, how and when. Thanks.
Some tips that I found when doing all my installs.
1- I have installed it a few different ways, such as leaving the entire assembly as one until and then putting the rod ends on later. I found this to be much harder.

2-I really like taking the L bracket off the LETSLA and install the base with the crossgate first. Tip there is when you install it make sure you pull up the double rod end that will connect to the L bracket or you will trap it there and have to remove the base to get it out.

3- When installing the base with the crossgate I get it in there and have the 14mm bolts ready with loctite on them and then I reach down and install the plastic piece that goes on the end of the crossgate. I did this at the last possible moment to help from dropping the piece. I then line it up in the slot and bolt the base down by hand with the 14mm bolts just so it is snug so the black plastic piece does not fall away.

4-After the base is attached I go for the L shaped bracket. I connect the double rod end before I bolt it down as I can move it up and get to the nut that holds it much easier this way. I can also get the 12mm wrench on it much easier this way. Don't forget the loctite on that nut!!

5- I use an allen socket and long extension to screw on the L shaped bracket to the base plate and it should go on easy. Don't forget the loctite.

6- On the center console it can be a pain to get off and on. A trick or two on that is take off the cable bracket on the trans first and then it should come out easy. Now getting it on can be harder and there are a few things you can do. If you take the R clips off the cable bracket you can have some room, but might not be enough so you may have to loosen the bolts hold the cable bracket and this should give you enough room to slid the console on. Another possible item is to not connect the rod end at the front shifter level and slide the console on, put the zip tie for the leather boot, and then pop on the rod ends. You will need to use a plyers to pop it on. This can work and I have done that. All in all the console sucks getting on. Sometimes it slides right and sometimes not.

7- I love Lotus, but having a hand built car means that there are little differences such as how hard the console can be based on that little bit of clearance. There are little things that are different after doing all the installs and what make Lotus Lotus.

I am doing a couple of installs today and will take some pictures of the steps a lot more and post them tonight on the instructions page. I wanted to do this the last few times and just go so into the install that I forgot to take pics of each stage and part. :wallbang: I am determine to remember today!

If you have questions when doing the install or run into any, how the heck do I do that moments you can email me on my iphone and I should answer quickly. Troymx576@aol.com My IM is Troymx576

Also- on the customer service part I try to treat each person the same way I would want to be treated and try to go above on beyond for each person. It is difficult to be as fast as I want at responding to emails (not instant all the time) because I have sent out about 50 kits in the last 2 weeks alone. Most people only have time on weekends to install so I get busy with questions so if I do not answer right away I am sorry, but emailing me or texting should be quick. If you need my number to talk on the phone just email me at Troymx576@aol.com and I will call you.

One more note. Can you all do me a favor in that the only way to improve the product and improve myself in all aspects is that I love feedback, good and bad. If you see something that could be tweaked or improved to make the product better or make the process better let me know so I can improve on it. If you love it and it is perfect in every way let me know that also. :D I would just like to know either way. With all the installs done now I am just anxious to know how it all went for everyone. I am also going to post some comments on my website and make a compilation of them. Please email comments to Troy@Trueleo.com

#310 ·
3- When installing the base with the crossgate I get it in there and have the 14mm bolts ready with loctite on them and then I reach down and install the plastic piece that goes on the end of the crossgate. I did this at the last possible moment to help from dropping the piece. I then line it up in the slot and bolt the base down by hand with the 14mm bolts just so it is snug so the black plastic piece does not fall away.
Troy, is there a reason why we can't glue the black plastic piece on to the end of the crossgate? I'm sure everyone that install your kit will never go back to the old linkage so there will be no need to reuse that again.

#309 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nope. It was just something extra I could do with the kit to make it that much better in my eyes. It is just an option if you want to do it and is up to you. It does not effect the LETSLA at all.
If you have already re-enforced your shifter do you have to do that step?

#311 · (Edited by Moderator)
You can not glue that piece on becuase it needs to float and move when in. The angle on the crossgate changes, but the angle on the interia does not so the plastic square actually moves on the end of the crossgate when you move it with the shifter.

Troy, is there a reason why we can't glue the black plastic piece on to the end of the crossgate? I'm sure everyone that install your kit will never go back to the old linkage so there will be no need to reuse that again.

#315 · (Edited)
Have over 1000 around town miles (lots of shifting) now with my kit and still enjoying it very much... Thanks!

#316 · (Edited)
Got mine installed and works great on my '05 with no further adjustment under the console needed. One small snag Troy helped with and was great talking me through the issue. If you have problems getting the crossgate pin in the slot - contact him.

Here's a tip:

I had difficulty getting the clips in. My hands are too fat to use Troy's method so I pulled the shifter in to the 5th gear position and held with a bungie cord. That forces the ends on both cross-gate and shifter cables up tight in to the bracket...allowing easy insertion of the clips.

Attachments

#317 ·
TroyLotus said:
On the customer service part I try to treat each person the same way I would want to be treated and try to go above on beyond for each person. It is difficult to be as fast as I want at responding to emails (not instant all the time) because I have sent out about 50 kits in the last 2 weeks alone. Most people only have time on weekends to install so I get busy with questions so if I do not answer right away I am sorry, but emailing me or texting should be quick. If you need my number to talk on the phone just email me at Troymx576@aol.com and I will call you.
What a champion. That is the best part of anyone's purchasing experience. :up:

#318 ·
Can't wait to get mine...hoping it gets here before the end of the week. Have an Autox I need to win. and I need every little bit of help I can get.:D

#319 ·
I went to a car show in the Philly area this weekend. I let a few people sit in my car and they could not believe the short throw and feel of the shifter :D

Excellent job Troy. It's still my favorite upgrade. The car is so much more enjoyable to drive.

#320 ·
Finally had mine installed over the weekend. The shift reinforcement spacer doesn't fit a RHD Exige S240 but I don't think this is an issue. The shifter is pretty soild from factory. I initially tried the second shortest throw (ie the way it came) first and but I am trying to see if I can get use to the shortest throw (what I am on now) before deciding which way to go. Obviously a bit more effort is needed to shift (especially using the shortest throw) but the general feeling is a much solid/tighter shift action.

My mechanic thinks the finishing of the kit can be improved (a bit more polishing and chamferring the edges of the brackets maybe?) He also replaced the rod ends with some higher quality items.

The install took a bit longer than the one hour indicated because this was the first one done by my mechanic and he wanted to be more careful and hence removed a quite a few pieces inside the engine bay in order to get a better view of the what goes where and how.

Overall pretty satisfied so far.

#323 ·
Shipping to Canada takes longer than it does to Hong Kong (Canada customs has to get their pound of flesh). Finally the new kit arrived and I installed it over the weekend. The kit was complete and installed flawlessly. It took a couple of hours at a very leisurely pace.

I used the recommended positions (as shipped) and noticed immediately a shorter throw. There is a short learning curve but after an hour of driving it was mindless. Shifting is definitely more accurate and seems to get smoother the more I drive. I have the Manly motor mounts and this shifter harmonizes very well with them.

The quality is outstanding and beyond that for the purpose intended. This kit is a "must have". I pride myself having mods that are performance oriented - this kit ranks very high on the list.

:up::up::up:

#324 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought about doing the chambering when doing the design, but doing in the CNC adds a few process for a different bit and the items would need to be turned over and done again to get both sides. It would make it look better, but not have an effect on how it functions and I tried to keep the costs down for everyone. If I did that it would add in the range of $20-40 for each kit. That is how tight the pricing is to keep it down for everyone.
My mechanic thinks the finishing of the kit can be improved (a bit more polishing and chamferring the edges of the brackets maybe?)

#325 ·
Now you guys got me hoping mine didn't get shipped in that last group...cause its not here.:sad:

I have very little faith in my postmen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.