2007 Elise pricing questions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

2007 Elise pricing questions

Hey folks,

this car: 2007 Lotus Elise - Used Convertible Highlands Ranch CO | Ferrari of Denver

...has been sitting at on the dealer's lot for a very long time. As you can see, the asking price is outrageous. Given the options on the car (hard top, soft top, touring package) and the very low miles, what SHOULD they be asking for the car. Or, more to the point, what would you offer them?

BTW: I drove this one in late summer. Fantastic car.

And as always, if there's a better thread for this question, let me know. I like to adhere to forum etiquette.
kloftus1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I bought my 2007, better equipped than that one and with sports package, in 2009 with 4,000 miles on it. Asking price was $50k, I paid $40k (yup, I overpaid). This is basically the same car with no sports pack, and two years older, so it's worth less.

No way is that one worth $44k. Make the dealer a standing offer, tell him you'll give him $35k for the car and the offer stands until you find another one you're willing to buy, to put some pressure on him. If he says no, ask for a counter offer, being crystal clear the car isn't worth what he's asking.

That's how I got mine. If you're in no rush you can get better deals. The dealer eventually called me back, saying he wont' go lower than $40k, and I got tired of looking, so I accepted.
marcinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcinr View Post
I bought my 2007, better equipped than that one and with sports package, in 2009 with 4,000 miles on it. Asking price was $50k, I paid $40k (yup, I overpaid). This is basically the same car with no sports pack, and two years older, so it's worth less.
You lost me. Both cars are 2007 models. What do you mean by "two years older"?

Quote:
No way is that one worth $44k. Make the dealer a standing offer, tell him you'll give him $35k for the car and the offer stands until you find another one you're willing to buy, to put some pressure on him. If he says no, ask for a counter offer, being crystal clear the car isn't worth what he's asking.
I was thinking of offering 34k. Just to see what happens.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

There are reports of people buying a 2011 SC for low $40s...

So for one that is 4 years older without a supercharger... I would guess high $20s would be a good price.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Less is Better

I would offer a couple thousand less than what you would be happy with paying and see what they come back with. If it wasn't used in the winter (doesn't have a pitted windshield and pitted front end from all the sand they use on CO roads), it could be a $35-38 car IMO.
me73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloftus1044 View Post
You lost me. Both cars are 2007 models. What do you mean by "two years older"?

I was thinking of offering 34k. Just to see what happens.
What I meant was that I bought a 2007 at the end of 2009, which made it abour 3 years old. 2007's are now 5 years old, which is where I got the two years, so you should definitely not pay more than I did for a newer car with more options (and a custom ordered leather interior with less plastic than normal Elise).
marcinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just bought a 2010 with performance pack and 1600 miles on it for $42500. Now you can base that one off of mine with factoring the higher miles and age.
ramtin1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
What I meant was that I bought a 2007 at the end of 2009, which made it abour 3 years old. 2007's are now 5 years old, which is where I got the two years, so you should definitely not pay more than I did for a newer car with more options (and a custom ordered leather interior with less plastic than normal Elise).
Got it.

It might not be possible to talk a dealer down to 34k when the starting price is 44k. But that's the maximum price at which I will buy that car. And, realistically, I could get a supercharged 2005 Elise for that price. Hmmm....
Old 11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

An asking price is just an asking price.

I could ask $60k for my 07 Elise. You don't want to fall into the trap of offering too much just because the asking price is way too high. If you want to make an offer for my 07, my asking price will be $60k.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
An asking price is just an asking price.

I could ask $60k for my 07 Elise. You don't want to fall into the trap of offering too much just because the asking price is way too high. If you want to make an offer for my 07, my asking price will be $60k.
And I get that, really. Its just that my pain threshold for haggling is pretty low. I hate the process, the B.S., the wasted time, all of it. So unless a car is already in my affordability range, I'm not very interested.

I would love to own the red one that's available locally. Buying locally saves me the expense of flying out to see a car as well as the expense of having it shipped back to Denver this late in the year. The travel expenses are going to run me about $1000 when you factor in everything (accommodations, plane tickets, time off from work, etc). So I have to factor that into the cost of a car, too.

Maybe if I take the time to gather some accurate pricing info for 2007 Elises, I can walk into the local dealer and get them to see how absurdly overpriced their car is.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloftus1044 View Post
And I get that, really. Its just that my pain threshold for haggling is pretty low. I hate the process, the B.S., the wasted time, all of it. So unless a car is already in my affordability range, I'm not very interested.

I would love to own the red one that's available locally. Buying locally saves me the expense of flying out to see a car as well as the expense of having it shipped back to Denver this late in the year. The travel expenses are going to run me about $1000 when you factor in everything (accommodations, plane tickets, time off from work, etc). So I have to factor that into the cost of a car, too.

Maybe if I take the time to gather some accurate pricing info for 2007 Elises, I can walk into the local dealer and get them to see how absurdly overpriced their car is.
Just show them this thread =P

I'm sure there's a way to get ahold of how much 07's have sold for the past few months...don't remember what the list is called though =X
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise