Aftermarket Supercharger On Elise and Elise SC - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Aftermarket Supercharger On Elise and Elise SC

Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first Elise and I tried to search before answering the question but I'm not coming up with any answer, so please forgive me if I missed the obvious.

First off, let me state that I'm not sure I'll even want a supercharger or that if I ended up with a factory Elise SC that I'd think I needed any more power from a bigger SC.

However, since I'm looking at buying.....I don't want to limit my options down the road.

lt0302 from the board, let me check out his Elise and after hearing the stories of the power he's getting from his aftermarket SC, I'm considering the possibility of doing something similar after I've driven the car a while.

So, with that background, here's the question: Is there any reason I shouldn't be also considering factory equipped Elise SC's? From what I can gather, the only difference between the factory SC and the regular Elise is the supercharger itself so I'm *assuming* that if I find a nice SC model and decide later on to swap the factory SC for an aftermarket one, that it won't be any more costly or complicated or have unforeseen or extra steps (other than removing the factory SC) than it would for a regular non-SC Elise.

Is that correct?

Thanks for any input you guys can give.

Sean
Sean K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just to give you an idea as far as a cost delta between the two. I just completed an install on my NA elise. The total cost (SC kit, tune, install) came to about $6200. This was done this month in the Seattle area.

The aftermarket kits make way more power than the factory kit (that's a given) but it also throws out the warranty. I didn't care about that because mine was out of warranty. It really depends on what you want out of it and how far you want to go with power and modding.

Seems like you are really on the fence. If I were you and this was my decision, I would just go for the SC elise and have fun enjoying it for a while but in that same breath would also factor in the total cost difference between the options. if its only 5k or so...Id go factory. I have owned my NA for almost 3yrs and it has been a blast and I just now got around to SC'ing it. You maybe completely happy with the stocker.....at least for a while
Mobius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
Just to give you an idea as far as a cost delta between the two. I just completed an install on my NA elise. The total cost (SC kit, tune, install) came to about $6200. This was done this month in the Seattle area.

The aftermarket kits make way more power than the factory kit (that's a given) but it also throws out the warranty. I didn't care about that because mine was out of warranty. It really depends on what you want out of it and how far you want to go with power and modding.

Seems like you are really on the fence. If I were you and this was my decision, I would just go for the SC elise and have fun enjoying it for a while but in that same breath would also factor in the total cost difference between the options. if its only 5k or so...Id go factory. I have owned my NA for almost 3yrs and it has been a blast and I just now got around to SC'ing it. You maybe completely happy with the stocker.....at least for a while

Most likely, whatever I buy will be out of warranty as well....so that's not a concern.

Also, I tend to really mod my hobby/project vehicles, so if I do go with an aftermarket SC, I'll likely put in a stronger transmission at the same time....I firmly believe in doing it right once rather than wrong and then right.....ultimately, it's cheaper.

I'm really not on the fence. If I come across a nice SC model though....I want to be sure that buying it instead of a regular NA Elise isn't going to cause a lot of headaches and expense if I put an aftermarket SC on later. I honestly don't really see the extra 28 hp or so as being worth a huge premium in the buying price to get the SC....but what I'm really looking for is a clean car. If I can't find a clean NA Elise, but can find a SC one....and if the price isn't ridiculously higher due to the supercharger, then I'll just go that route.

Hopefully that makes sense as an explanation. I'm definitely not the most articulate guy in the world, LOL.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 11-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Stock sc system doesnt have any headroom. Aftermarket is better and chreaper for the mod inclined. Boe has a sale for 500 off their systems on black friday. Rev 250 would be cheaper and faster. Preserving oem quality is a non issue for lotus

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

I wouldn't think you would have any headaches upgrading either. Just pick your base and move on. If you plan on modding (which sounds like you are no matter what) I would save the pennies then and go NA elise if that's the case. Your first post seemed more like a "what if" the second post says you tend to really mod all your projects..go NA but I'm sure others will chime in. Either choice you'll have fun.

Last edited by Mobius97; 11-17-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Mobius97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius97 View Post
I wouldn't think you would have any headaches upgrading either. Just pick your base and move on. If you plan on modding (which sounds like you are no matter what) I would save the pennies then and go NA elise if that's the case. Your first post seemed more like a "what if" the second post says you tend to really mod all your projects..go NA but I'm sure others will chime in. Either choice you'll have fun.
Truth is: on this project, I have no idea. I've never owned a sports car. Most of my vehicles have been 4wds that were either heavily modded or built from scratch.

I may find that the power is fine and there's no need. But part of me says I'll want the extra power down the road from an aftermarket SC.

Just wanted to find out "what if" I decide to go the aftermarket SC route later on......

Sounds like it won't matter either way (NA vs. factory SC).....which is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks so much for the help guys.

Much appreciated.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise