The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

At it again. TheChazz Winter thread

37K views 207 replies 41 participants last post by  TheChazz 
#1 ·
Time for the winter tear-down! Have had a few small and major issues come up I want to fix as well and cleaning up some of the wear and tear. Also lots of preventive maintenance and ease-of-use mods!

The Preliminary MUST list:
New SSC Shifter and Gate Cables ($750 OUCH)
BOE's Aluminum Radiator $450ish?
"TheChazz" V2 Front Splitter (I will be making during this thread)
Fix a small leak in the exhaust (Wrong size clamp)
All new brake pads all around
New rear brake rotors
Have brake Calipers cleaned, honed, shot peend, and powdercoated (Gloss Gunmetal maybe?)
Fix a small crack in the bottom of the front clam
Touch up paint
Replace Front and side rocker panel paint protection.

The Preliminary WANT list:
Radium quick release rear clam kit
New rear diffuser or a Custom mod to my stock panel
"TheChazz" Corner Light delete panels painted to match
Possibly a Wrap or Plasti-Dip of the car?
New seats!!!

Spent most of tonight cleaning out the mess I had in my shop and got the car on stands.

Just this past week on one of my final drives I snapped a shifter cable. Have also had a small leak in the radiator for the past few weeks.

Day1:
Car on stands.
Wheels Removed
Rear Diffuser removed
Engine under-panel removed
Side Underpanels removed
Front Splitter and Under panel removed

Tomorrow I will be Washing the car and undercarriage in prep for work. Front Clam will be off by the weekend.

See less See more
#3 ·
Knowing how quickly you move with working on your car, you will have a new list in a week or 2. Lol.
BTW, how do you plasti-dip the whole car without it looking like you sprayed it with a rattle can? I've seen parts of cars painted with plasti-dip and it looks O.K. at best. Maybe poor preparation or technique?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welp not much for today so far, but more progress none the less. Washed the entire car, De-greased and scrubbed the fender-wells and suspension. Washed up the under-body as well.
Sorry for all these crap photos, I was pretty icky and didnt want to bring my DSLR out lol.

yes! i may have a set of shifter cables depending if i use these with my k20 swap. not sure yet. got a pic/roughdraft of the splitter?
Used cables? After this issue and the slop I had to begin with I think the SCC's upgrades are necessary for me.

The splitter will be drawn out once I get the materials. I will be making it about a 1/2" Shorter than before, rounding the nose out (instead of square to match the plinth) and Venting it to prevent pressure/dirt build up between the clam and splitter. I am also going to try and eliminate the Support rods. If I do still need them I will be trying some Billet supports.

Knowing how quickly you move with working on your car, you will have a new list in a week or 2. Lol.
BTW, how do you plasti-dip the whole car without it looking like you sprayed it with a rattle can? I've seen parts of cars painted with plasti-dip and it looks O.K. at best. Maybe poor preparation or technique?
Yea the lists will grow quite a bit. I am slo wanting to get into audio this winter and some CF work. This will be after its mechanically 100% again.

As for plasti-dip as mentioned above DipYourCar.com sells "kits" for large jobs. It is just like automotive paint in a way. It's sensitive to teqnique and skill. If applied correctly it comes out better than a wrap. My only issue with it is the overspray that will collect between body panels and whatnot. If I can find a way to mask for this Ill feel much better about it.
My wheels are Plasi-Dipped and look good enough I have had people argue with me and say they are powder coated. So Preparation and application are KEY.

I plastidiped my Old Subaru with ra... Excited to see you how it turns out buddie!
You could always go with the Corbeau seats that I got in mine. Their not a PERFECT OEM replacement, but they bolted up to my stock seat rails and I love the heck out of them. They work great with my Scroth harness.
Thanks much! I will be looking at all of my options.

Could you do a writeup on how you're making the splitter?
Ill see what I can do. This has become a product of mine of sorts. The hardest part is just the planning and drawing. The rest is just finding all the parts, taking your time, and lots of cutting.

What kind of seats are you considering?

I have my eye on the Composite worx seats but there isn't enough info on them out there.
I honestly have just been looking at some newer stock black seats. The Probax I think they are called? I dont want anything too crazy, and Id like them comfortable for extended drives. I take trips 1-2 hours each way often and have a 2800mi round trip planned for the spring.

#16 ·
The splitter will be drawn out once I get the materials. I will be making it about a 1/2" Shorter than before, rounding the nose out (instead of square to match the plinth) and Venting it to prevent pressure/dirt build up between the clam and splitter. I am also going to try and eliminate the Support rods. If I do still need them I will be trying some Billet supports.
Can you elaborate on how you will be "venting it" to prevent pressure/dirt buildup between the clam and splitter.

#12 ·
Nope, stock's are blank in the rear to my knowledge. Only the fronts come stock drilled.

The replacements will probably be drilled.

#15 ·
Strange... Well they will be drilled again soon enough!

More progress today...
Friend came over and we tackled the front clam. Actually SUPER easy. Not as bad as it sounds.

Headlight covers off, fender-liners out, under tray already out, 3 bolts around hinges, 4 big bolts, spline nuts under the center bone were easy, I just put my hand through the middle of the bone with a 10mm socket... took a few seconds.

Also yanked the shift cables from the tranny and found the cable didnt break, the guide sleeve just poped out of the collet. I think its an easy fix?

Pic of the sleeve out of the collet:

#17 ·
Simply routed holes just under the clam out of view. This will slightly reduce the positive pressure buildup and therefore drag created by the splitter while keeping the down force effect.

#19 ·
I had enough downforce with my V1 splitter to pull the car into the ground at 130-135. Though Id almost never see this speed again I wanted to resolve it.

#22 ·
Not 100% sure, but 110k miles and they are still good. IIRC correctly Phil told me back when I bought the car that if they hadn't gone yet they wont. I got a "good set". Either that or they were already replaced.

Ill be sure to check them regardless.

#23 ·
Its a pretty important thing to be sure about. I found a small leak from my fitting, not from the crimp but from between the hex fitting and the small pipe it attaches to. Turns out there is a small rubber o-ring that is supposed to go in there. They are very small and fall out easily. I'm guessing it never made it in my car at the factory.

#24 ·
No worries, It will be checked thoroughly!

Catching up on some Black-Friday enduced debt then I will be back full speed on the car!

#25 ·
Little more progress tonight. Drained and pulled the stock rad out. Bent it to get the bolts out easier.

BOE unit will be going in to replace it.

May pull the brake calipers off this weekend and drop them to get blasted and coated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.