Battery Cover loose in trunk - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Tejs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 204
Battery Cover loose in trunk

Hey guys,

I was noticing a rattle this weekend in my car, and when I checked the trunk it looks like the black plastic battery cover thingy has come off the battery and is flying around freely inside there. However, I didn't notice any screws or bolts or anything rattling around in there as well, nor can I seem to see where the thing got bolted in (or whatever) - the battery is fairly well tucked away under the fiberglass.

Anywho - how do you fix this thing? Do I need to buy some specific screws or something? Glue it back in? Has this happened to anyone else?

2005 Ardent Red Lotus Elise View
2007 Sunlight Silver Mazda RX-8 View
Tejs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Supporting Vendor

 
SirLotus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Delray Beach FL
Posts: 6,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejs View Post
Hey guys,

I was noticing a rattle this weekend in my car, and when I checked the trunk it looks like the black plastic battery cover thingy has come off the battery and is flying around freely inside there. However, I didn't notice any screws or bolts or anything rattling around in there as well, nor can I seem to see where the thing got bolted in (or whatever) - the battery is fairly well tucked away under the fiberglass.

Anywho - how do you fix this thing? Do I need to buy some specific screws or something? Glue it back in? Has this happened to anyone else?
The cover is mainly secured by the back edges simply going over the top and back of the battery. Additionally the carpet at the right side of the battery clips down, using 2 press studs, over the edge of the cover.
Michael
SirLotus is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 
4380r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 5,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
The cover is mainly secured by the back edges simply going over the top and back of the battery. Additionally the carpet at the right side of the battery clips down, using 2 press studs, over the edge of the cover.
Michael
What Michael says. If you need something more, just use some velcro.
4380r is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
Ali.M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 2,153
Why keep the cover? Take it out!



Reduce Weight // Improve Reliability — http://www.ChimeraBatteries.com

2007 Lotus Exige S // 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia 16M // 2012 Chrysler 300C
2005 Maserati Gransport — SOLD // 2006 Chrysler 300C — R.I.P.
Ali.M is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Registered User
 
impulsiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montréal
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali.Maadelat View Post
Why keep the cover? Take it out!
It holds the manual and tool kit. IMO, a very good reason for keeping it.
impulsiv is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Registered User
 
lotusfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 459
Make sure the stock battery is secured down in there. If it comes lose it can crack your clam from the inside. Has happened to people in the past. Upgrading to a smaller and lighter battery is a good investment.

'06 Elise, Canyon Red
lotusfan2 is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered User
 
rwbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 888
I had to remove mine because of the new Braille battery and kill switch. If anyone is worried about the posts being exposed in the trunk and possibly getting "crossed" by something metal in your trunk - I haven't had any trouble. But I do make sure to not set any jack stands or torque wrench I may be carrying right next to it for that reason.

2006 Aspen White Elise
http://projectelise.com - blogging the Elise
Ongoing Elise & Exige Price Trend Spreadsheet (OPEN SHEET IN EXCEL! Google Docs butchers it and shows errors...)
rwbronco is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Registered User
 
Jeffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: chicago the dirty south!!!
Posts: 710
Weight Reduction!!!!

I don't like Mercedes!
I don't like Corvettes!
I don't like the"New"camaro!
Jeffy is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Registered User
 
zygotesoup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsiv View Post
It holds the manual and tool kit. IMO, a very good reason for keeping it.
meh... i don't keep the manual in the car and the tool kit has velcro on the back so it can stick to the carpet.

ditch the battery cover!


oh and +100000 on making sure your battery is secure!

mine ripped off and and the car stalled mid-turn... no damage thankfully. same exact thing happened to my friend on the same track... he was not so lucky

2005 Krypton Green Lotus Elise
1993 Black BMW 325i
zygotesoup is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
apk919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Not Here
Posts: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbronco View Post
I had to remove mine because of the new Braille battery and kill switch. If anyone is worried about the posts being exposed in the trunk and possibly getting "crossed" by something metal in your trunk - I haven't had any trouble. But I do make sure to not set any jack stands or torque wrench I may be carrying right next to it for that reason.
If you do leave your battery exposed, tape over the posts/connectors with electrical tape. Obviously the positive post is the most critical. First, it's usually a tech requirement for track days. Second, if you do wind up shorting the battery, things can get very ugly.
apk919 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome