The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Battery options

16K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  J-Son 
#1 ·
I'm looking for an AGM battery to replace the third battery in three years for my 05 Elise. (yes, I know, I don't drive my Elise much so I finally bought a Deltran to maintain my next one)

Do any of these fit into the stock holding bracket? if so, which one would you recommend between them?

PC925MJT Odyssey PC925MJT Battery - Free Shipping: BatteryMart.com

PC1200MJT Odyssey PC1200MJT Battery: BatteryMart.com

9A35/85 9A35/85 AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com

MAR-9AGM47 9AGM47 Maintenance Free AGM Battery: BatteryMart.com

#2 ·
They're all so heavy I couldn't recommend any of them for an Elige.

There are decently light batteries that won't break the bank (Deka, Big Crank). Do a search on ETX-18L, ETX-20L and check the dimensions.

San

#5 · (Edited)
Do a search on ETX-18L, ETX-20L and check the dimensions.

San
I have had an ETX-20L in my Exige for about 2.5 years now. It was inexpensive and has been as reliable as the two previous batteries. It was a direct replacement for a Braille 2015...same size, weight and zap.

The ETX-20L replaced a Braille 2015 (I replaced it at three years) that replaced the OEM battery (I replaced it at five years).

If you drive the car infrequently, it would be a good idea to plug the battery into a smart charger to extend its life by ensuring that it doesn't get drained to death.

My logic was that if plan to keep the car plugged in when parked (for more than 3+ days) then why not switch to a smaller battery and shave a lot of weight that is located in the worst possible place for weight distribution and handling (behind the rear axle)? The OEM battery is a pig and provides overkill capacity if you use a charger.

#3 ·
I have a Optima Yellow Top D35 for my Elise. Fits perfectly fine. I mean it weighs "a lot," but I didn't want to make or buy a custom bracket. Waste of time and money. Big whoop... 20 lbs more than the lightest battery offered for the Elise. Not a SIGNIFICANT weight difference.

By the way did you refer to this: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f321/battery-choices-information-64071/ because I'm assuming it doesn't fit in the stock holding bracket based on, "*requires custom bracket"

#9 ·
I love LIFE batteries. They actually hold their charge for a looooooong time and can be stored topped off without ill effects. I do a lot of RC flying and use LIFE packs in my transmitters instead of alkaline or lipo's. They hold a charge for so long and I don't have to worry about putting a storage charge on them and leaving them topped off damaging the battery. Only problem with them is that they will drop in voltage like a brick at a certain point much faster than other battery types and you need to watch out for that. I didn't even realize they had LIFE car batteries. Gotta look into that! I currently run a optima red top battery and it fits the stock battery tie down but its certainly not the lightest by a long shot.

#10 ·
I use this one. Alien Motion Lithium Battery - LiFePo4 Lightweight Power Sports Battery One year anniversary and no problems but treat it gently by using a cutoff switch. Also purchased their charger and give the battery a balance charge once every other month. Battery is extremely light and uses the battery hold down that came on the Odyssey PC925 that was in my Exige (with a supplied foam pad).

#12 ·
There are a couple different pairs of odyssey batteries and Lotus brackets from the various vendors, so I'd steer that way (I have the bracket that came with my BOE clam hinge and the appropriate Odyssey battery but I don't recall the model number).

For @DDJ74 and others like me who tend not to care about 20lbs, AGM batteries are cheap, lightER, and above all else allow you to ditch the factory mounting system which is an absolute abomination. That clamp is terrible and should not be allowed by any tech inspection for track or autox. Even if you have it tight, the trunk floor can flex and let the battery loose to terrorize your clamshell. There are enough threads on it (and I've had it happen, too) to establish my distaste of the stupid thing.

So that kind of insurance for the rear clam is hardly more expensive that the heavier options, even after the cost of the bracket. Definitely worth it and one of the greatest disappointments in lotus' engineering dept. Second to deciding to use their chosen suppliers for oil line clamps and radiators.

Plus you get marginally more storage space which is already at a premium.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 ·
I've used the Odyssey PC680 for around 2yrs now with no issues. If it sits for more than three or 4 days I'll either cut it off or put a battery tender on it.

#17 ·
Go to East Penn site, as San mentioned. You'll find direct replacement.

#18 ·
I have used an Optima Red Top over the last several years. Still going strong and starts up every time. It's been on a tender since last June but I do occasionally start the car up when I need to move it out of the garage every now and then, no issues and the battery health is still good. I did not have to order a special bracket as the stock one fit perfectly. It is a little heavier than the stock black battery by 9lbs but I'm no track rat and am fine with it.

#19 ·
I've used all kinds of batteries, but they all eventually die unless you can prevent them from being discharged. What has been more useful for me than trickle charging is a battery cutoff switch like the kind a few forum sponsors sell, or otherwise get one made for boats.

My current PC680 has lasted 3-4 years with a cutoff switch.

#20 ·
I don't know if it fits in the stock battery box, but the Shorai 36 works pretty well. I'm trying to keep it on the tender but I've left it 4 or 5 days without hesitation.

When it comes to the Amp hour figures on these lithium batteries, even the manufacturers told me to cut those numbers in half.
So on my 36aH equivelent, thats probably more like 18 real amp hours which is probably in line with your typical 4 cyl. Still may be slightly smaller in terms of reserve capacity, but this battery could most likely provide enough cranking amps to start a bus

#21 ·
#22 ·
Will this device make the battery change easier?
You don't need it. Just remove the cables from the old battery, negative first. When you connect the new battery, connect the negative last. You will need to reprogram your radio settings, but that should be it.

From your posts in other threads, you may have other issues, but your battery is definitely toast. Once the battery is replaced, report back if it fixed your issues or if you still have some. You might start your own thread instead of pulling up old threads that are not totally relevant.

#24 ·
swapped out the battery and now the car starts....i havent taken it for a drive yet but i noticed the check engine light is on. tomorrow i will hook up an obd scanner and see if i can clear it.
next month the car inspection is due and it wont pass inspection if the check light is on.

#26 ·
Disconnect the battery and then step on the brake pedal for 10 seconds. Reconnect and check it again. A check engine light will fail you, and at least here in California, you also need all the emmissions systems to show ready. That may take some mileage and/or driving cycles.

There is also a dash reset. Get in the car and I beleive you want to leave the driver's door open. Turn on the ignition and turn it off. Press and hold the trip meter reset button. Turn on the ignition and wait about five seconds. Turn ignition off and release the trip meter reset button. Turn on the ignition and the Service light comes on and goes off after a few seconds.

San

#28 ·
I assume you have tried to clear the codes with the code reader, even though no codes are showing up?

Now that you have a new battery, check the resting voltage. Should be 12.6-ish volts. Now start the car and check the voltage, should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts.

#29 ·
Finally a nice day free of rain. The car started fantastically with the new battery. I drove it around an hour to see if the check engine light would reset...and it didn't.

Now when I check the code it spits out p0630 code. My reset won't clear it. Is this a dealership fix?

#38 ·
so now i had the lotus dealership tell me to bring it in today...i brought it this morning. they said i had to leave it with them. i told them the error code and the issue. they said they are not sure when they can get to it and they will call me when its done. i told them i wasnt able to reset the code myself and they said the only way i can reset the code is if i became a lotus dealership and had the correct software.

i told them i can stop by on sunday to pick it up and they said...not sure if it will be done by sunday (today is wednesday).

i hope they will fix it somewhat soon since summer is my time to drive it.

so now i wait for the call from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.