The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Emergency Brake Lever Rattle

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  me73 
#1 ·
The emergency brake lever is 2 main parts, the base which has the teeth for the latching mechanism, and the lever itself. The two parts are held together with a somewhat loose pin to allow relative rotation. The pin on mine is loose enough that the mechanism rattles as the lever taps on the base while shifting and while the car is moving. The pin is a permanent rivet, so the two parts can't be separated without cutting off the pin.

Part number 1

http://www.lotusgarage.com/shop/index.php?l=product_images&p=2069

Is this pretty common (I think I already know the answer to this one)? Are there any methods for adding a cushion between the parts or tightening the lever onto the base?

#2 ·
I am going to run an experiment. I ran a piece of 1/8 inch heat shrink tubing into the top of the lever (from the back of the lever) so it sits between the lever and the top of the base. When the brake is released, the tubing is pressed into the space between the lever and the base and the rattle appears to go away. It's held in place with a little black RTV. It seems to work in the garage. Hopefully this is a long term solution with multiple uses of the e-brake.

#3 ·
This seems to have worked very nicely. The tube gets compressed between the top of the base and the lever and keeps the two from rattling against each other. The RTV holds the tube tightly in place and you can't see or feel that anything is there.

Lotus finished about 98% of the design of the car and we get to do the final touches. Gotta love 'em.

#5 ·
I should have taken pictures as I did it, but I didn't and now you really can't see anything.

But it's easy to try for yourself.

1. With the brake lever down (released) wiggle it side to side and listen for a rattle. Also run the shift lever side to side with and without pressing on the side of the lever to see if there's a rattle when you aren't pressing on the lever.

2. If it is, you can try to see if it goes away by stuffing the space between the lever and the base. I took the heat shrink tubing and fished it under the lever from the back side with the lever completely released. Keep pressing it in until it stops, then lift the handle a little and the tube will go a little further.

3. Put the lever in the down position so the brake is completely released and try to make it rattle again.

4. If the rattle goes away, you can do the same thing but put some RTV on the tube to hold it in position permanently.

5. One rattle Gone. 99 left to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.