Get a Lotus Elise? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Get a Lotus Elise?

I'm 18 and was wondering if I should buy a used 2005 lotus elise? The car has low mileage and in great condition, the cost is a bit expensive but I'm young entrepreneur with a little extra money. What I'm asking is is the car worth it performance wise and worth the cost of insurance at my young age? I absolutely love the look of the car and the love dimensions.
Carjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd wait at 18, unless your making 40-50k a year at least... and don't have much in monthly bills... just my 2 cents.

http://www.madison-art.com
MadisonArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ugh, wtf is wrong with these kids. The answer is no. Grow up and get a job.

If you actually mean that you're a hot shot code jockey who is about to make it big, then sorry for being so brash, but still no. Make it big first.

And for perspective I'm a 23 yo engineer and own an Exige. So it doesn't necessarily have to be long, but just wait. Crunch the numbers. Read all the other threads that exist like this one. There are pages and pages of reasons not to buy an Elise at 18, even if you have the opportunity.

Also, I'm in before SwingLo drops his head shaking picture. 3rd time this week, Jeff?
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Come on, come on......bring on the "Not this schit again" picture.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Jeff!!!!?!?!?! we need you ASAP!

but honestly... wait till you are out of college, & if you aren't going to college then wait till you have a place of your own with secure parking

i remember in HS some douche in my grade had mommy buy him a new RSX... that car got abused badly

Last edited by driftwood; 01-15-2013 at 04:19 AM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
I Have Commitment Issues

id buy a miata and learn to drive. with a max of 2yrs driving experience you will wreck this car in under a month. you're 18 and regardless of how responsible you think you are, you will push the car to the limit. you dont just buy a car like this at 18 to not show off to friends and chicks. Without knowing how the car will react theres a good chance you'll put it into a guard rail or a tree. Im sure your parents want you to see your 19th birthday.

you can use the miata to do some track days and learn how to drive a car. once you are atleast 21 and more mature, then buy one.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Answer is still no...

Here we go again....why do we frequently get these youngin's asking the same question over and over again? If you are 18 and want a Lotus, don't buy one, unless you want trouble.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
I Have Commitment Issues

oh yea not to mention cops. They will be on your ass since you will stick out like a sore thumb. if youre planning on doing stupid **** be ready to lose your license very quickly.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

I say go for it!! But, please post pics of your wrecked elise and add it to this thread. Why you ask? Well when the next 18 year old hot shot poses the same question we can just respond to him by directing him/her to this link! Thanks for donating! 😜

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Formula1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

I, like the rest of the people so far, would say no. If you are a young good money making guy then look at something that would be considered "nice" to drive and take clients or co workers out in like BMW or something. The Elise is an amazing driving machine but has nothing for creature comforts or space. Also unless you have a guaranteed garage space indefinitely, you do NOT want it being outside overnight. Just get yourself a nice daily driver, get it paid off and then in 5 years get an Elise for your fun and weekend driver.
BudUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

CarJunky,
Just fly out to Arizona, I will take bunches of photos of you in and around my car, so you will have something to post to Facebook. You can then tell the chicks your Lotus is in the shop, but you will gladly take them out in your "other" car.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #12 (permalink)

Repost

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
I Have Commitment Issues

dont end up like this kid......

Crashed Ferrari was gift from driver?s dad | www.ajc.com
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowtush View Post
id buy a miata and learn to drive. with a max of 2yrs driving experience you will wreck this car in under a month. you're 18 and regardless of how responsible you think you are, you will push the car to the limit. you dont just buy a car like this at 18 to not show off to friends and chicks. Without knowing how the car will react theres a good chance you'll put it into a guard rail or a tree. Im sure your parents want you to see your 19th birthday.

you can use the miata to do some track days and learn how to drive a car. once you are atleast 21 and more mature, then buy one.
I am currently driving a miata with a ls1 swap but I'm just wanting something new to have some fun with.
Carjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

I would hate to have a "sticky" post needed for one of these threads, but that is what it might take got cut down on the numbers of these posts. The prices are starting to come down to where a younger crowd can start to afford them. I would expect 2-3 a week when spring rolls around.

The mere idea of you asking this question should raise some questions of your own.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Ugh, wtf is wrong with these kids. The answer is no. Grow up and get a job.

....... I'm a 23 yo engineer and own an Exige.
rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #17 (permalink)

Wait until you're 18.5 years old.
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)
4380r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
The Second One

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Jeff!!!!?!?!?! we need you ASAP!

but honestly... wait till you are out of college, & if you aren't going to college then wait till you have a place of your own with secure parking

i remember in HS some douche in my grade had mommy buy him a new RSX... that car got abused badly
You call, I answer!

I've got this image permanently on 'paste' status:

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Second One

Seriously - these are like one a week now.

But I like the 'young entrepeneur' comment. I'm wondering what that means.

Reminds me of the '2009 Marketer of The Year Nominee' stuff if anyone remembers those posts (btw, what ever happened to THAT guy?).

I know, we think of 'young entrepeneurs' as the next Bill Gates or that chick who invented Spanx, but most 18 year old entrepeneurs in the real world do this:

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesun View Post
Here we go again....why do we frequently get these youngin's asking the same question over and over again? If you are 18 and want a Lotus, don't buy one, unless you want trouble.
Because you can buy a used Lotus Elise for under $30k, and well under if it's not a nice car.

These notes will never stop. But, the problem, as has been said 17,642,000 times, is that the Lotus is not - NOT - a cheap car. It is a very expensive car, with very expensive engineering, that has very - VERY - little utility, and only appears inexpensive because everything not related to the engineering was stripped out. And, unless you are handy, and have a space to work, then you will face $2 grommets (no offense to poster), $150 oil changes, and $4,000 full clam replacements if you are hit at 2 mph by a shopping cart. There should be a requirement that you must read and acknowledge the Lotus as Daily Driver sticky before you can become a member.
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise