Get a Lotus Elise? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjunky View Post
I'm 18 and was wondering if I should buy a used 2005 lotus elise? .
The answer to this question is exactly the same as the answer to
"Is it a kit?" "Is it a rental?" etc. The answer is yes.

It's the answer the person is looking for, and more importantly, it's the answer that will most quickly end what will most likely become a very annoying conversation.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Because you can buy a used Lotus Elise for under $30k, and well under if it's not a nice car.
So my car isn't nice because I got a good deal on it?
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

1 AM............ Isn't it past your bedtime ?
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
You call, I answer!

I've got this image permanently on 'paste' status:

Oh my God, that never ceases to be absolutely hilarious. I'm almost hoping for a "Should I buy a Lotus" new thread just so you can post that. The look on his face is priceless
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #25 (permalink)

We need a meme for this,

Has 10k in the bank and a job better than fast food.
Buys Elise because it's the cheapest exotic he can find.
Finds out how much it costs to repair, crashes for insurance fraud.

LSUDOMINATES

It's a bit wordy, but perhaps you guys can help clean it up and add some pictures.
ithurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

I bought my Elise when I was 19, not sure but I may have been the youngest guy on here to purchase one without any assistance. I have been running a web and graphic design firm for 4 years at that point, had alot of extra income, so I could afford the payments and here in the region I live in I could daily drive it year round.

Now im 22, tired of the payments (because I want to get into some real estate) but I still love the car. If I could go back I would say no to the $30k Elise and would have picked up the $14k S2000 and waited.

That being said I absolutely LOVE my Elise, but it probably wasnt the best time to get into one.

Don't be a know it all and go ahead and do what you want. These guys posting above know exactly what their talking about. I really look up to the other forum members as they have been infinitely helpful to me and so many others. If I would have been a member here before purchasing my Elise I probably would have been convinced to wait.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithurtus View Post
We need a meme for this,

Has 10k in the bank and a job better than fast food.
Buys Elise because it's the cheapest exotic he can find.
Finds out how much it costs to repair, crashes for insurance fraud.

LSUDOMINATES

It's a bit wordy, but perhaps you guys can help clean it up and add some pictures.
Good times:
Attached Images

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)

Last edited by SwingLo; 01-15-2013 at 11:04 AM.
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMurray View Post
So my car isn't nice because I got a good deal on it?
No offense meant. I was thinking of salvage cars when I said "well under."
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
I bought my Elise when I was 19...

If I could go back I would say no to the $30k Elise and would have picked up the $14k S2000 and waited.

That being said I absolutely LOVE my Elise, but it probably wasnt the best time to get into one.
tonymaples806, thanks for this. Real experience from a real working teenage buying a Lotus.

Listen up.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
I bought my Elise when I was 19, not sure but I may have been the youngest guy on here to purchase one without any assistance. I have been running a web and graphic design firm for 4 years at that point, had alot of extra income, so I could afford the payments and here in the region I live in I could daily drive it year round.

Now im 22, tired of the payments (because I want to get into some real estate) but I still love the car. If I could go back I would say no to the $30k Elise and would have picked up the $14k S2000 and waited.

Don't be a know it all and go ahead and do what you want. These guys posting above know exactly what their talking about. I really look up to the other forum members as they have been infinitely helpful to me and so many others. If I would have been a member here before purchasing my Elise I probably would have been convinced to wait.
Well said, there were many cars I would have loved to have 20 years ago that I would have worked 3 jobs to afford and would have destroyed them. Skill is great, knowledge and experience is better. S2K would be perfect to "learn" how to drive and take care of a car like an Elise.
BudUSMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Hey Man,

It was said. That car would own you. At 18 you don't want to be a slave and have what you think is a dream become a nightmare. When your a bit older and have your ****e in order a career, decent house, happy wife Then sure a little angry tinkerbell car like a Lotus might fit the bill...

At 18 you will be working working working to keep that car up, running and looking decent. It will be almost a fulltime job maybe more... I mean I am 43 and honestly I don't think I could play golf and have a Lotus. Meaning ( At least for me) Having this car is a consuming passion and you can only have so many of those in life ( In my opinion)

I remember this Pizza Hut commercial where this kid had a fly BMW coupe and three jobs while his friends were all partying and enjoying life like you should at that age. Your gonna look kinda silly with a Pizza Hut sign on top your Elise should your job go south on you for any reason.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #32 (permalink)

I got mine at 25 last year. I only got it because i was out of school, i had a seconed car to get around, and i have a good job. I still worry everytime i park it. I only use it on the weekends and she isnt the cheapest car to fix. Iv had a bmw m coupe at 20 and it was perfect. Solid car, worry free, sexy style, fast. Do yourself a favor and wait a few years trust me.
Bryker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #33 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Reminds me of the '2009 Marketer of The Year Nominee' stuff if anyone remembers those posts (btw, what ever happened to THAT guy?).
You talking about Ali Maadelat? He's a funny guy and can be helpful if you get past his ADHD.

But my answer to the OP is, yeah, just go ahead and get it. Why even ask us? We don't know you and your situation. Life's too short. You could die tomorrow and then what? Don't think you are too young and invincible. Everyone dies, and sometimes, you die right then and there and have a whole life of experiences you denied yourself. For what? So you can save up for later which never comes? Screw that.

Live it up, I say. Just get what you want and do what you like as long as you don't have to break any laws doing it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #34 (permalink)
It's a big go kart!

Lots of driving experience before you even consider buying a Lotus, please.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #35 (permalink)

Don't be too hard on the guy!

He has made his money and has come on here looking for somebody to agree with his choice of an Elise.
As he is new he probably won't know that this question is asked regularly. Clearly this is not the best car to drive when you are eighteen though. My advice would be to buy a Mazda MX5 (Miata in the US) but he already has one.
I would think that was still a pretty cool car to own at eighteen, l would go with the other posters and suggest keeping the Mazda for a couple more years.

But maybe the OP is a millionaire and can afford the upkeep/repairs/insurance with no problems. He might be a really good/sensible driver who saves racing for the track.

In this case l would still go with the Mazda but if buying an Elise make sure to take a performance driving course first.
zebraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

When I was in high school there was this kid with an new esprit and was dating someone out of our group of friends. Yes we were jealous of this guy big time. We were headed down to the mall where he zoomed way ahead of us. Next thing you know we caught up to him. The car was shattered and in pieces. Apparently he made an abrupt last minute exit off the freeway to show off the handling but hit gravel, spun out, and hit the wall. What an idiot and epic fail. Our friend dumped him right after due to his stupidity and arrogance. Don't be that guy.
gooberschnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #37 (permalink)
Back to the Future, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman View Post
Don't be too hard on the guy!

He has made his money and has come on here looking for somebody to agree with his choice of an Elise.
As he is new he probably won't know that this question is asked regularly. Clearly this is not the best car to drive when you are eighteen though. My advice would be to buy a Mazda MX5 (Miata in the US) but he already has one.
I would think that was still a pretty cool car to own at eighteen, l would go with the other posters and suggest keeping the Mazda for a couple more years.

But maybe the OP is a millionaire and can afford the upkeep/repairs/insurance with no problems. He might be a really good/sensible driver who saves racing for the track.

In this case l would still go with the Mazda but if buying an Elise make sure to take a performance driving course first.
I told him to go get it. I was very supportive. And as for the performance driving course? What for? For the overwhelming 190bhp which maybe is worth about 155whp which is just about surpassed by every compact sedan out there in the world?

Don't overthink it. It's just a car and not a particularly overwhelming one at that. Everyone makes a huge stinking deal about it. The only thing you have to be careful about is the plastic body because it is easy to crack and hard to replace. The drivetrain and performance... nothing earth shattering relative to cars today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
But my answer to the OP is, yeah, just go ahead and get it. Why even ask us? We don't know you and your situation. Life's too short. You could die tomorrow and then what? Don't think you are too young and invincible. Everyone dies, and sometimes, you die right then and there and have a whole life of experiences you denied yourself. For what? So you can save up for later which never comes? Screw that.

Live it up, I say. Just get what you want and do what you like as long as you don't have to break any laws doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooberschnot View Post
When I was in high school there was this kid with an new esprit and was dating someone out of our group of friends. Yes we were jealous of this guy big time. We were headed down to the mall where he zoomed way ahead of us. Next thing you know we caught up to him. The car was shattered and in pieces. Apparently he made an abrupt last minute exit off the freeway to show off the handling but hit gravel, spun out, and hit the wall. What an idiot and epic fail. Our friend dumped him right after due to his stupidity and arrogance. Don't be that guy.
It's okay. He probably got another new car and new girlfriend the next day and got over it fast enough.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:42 AM   #38 (permalink)

As the father of a son only a couple years younger than you, I'll say that your dad needs to speak to me. I plan to get my son a very used Subaru WRX. I then plan to bring it to my local tuner to bring it to the potential that is appropriate to a new driver. Max torque to match my Elise, is how I told my son. (133 #ft). He was not amused.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #39 (permalink)

I won't have a Elise as my only car.
Bluefang08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise