I think I blew my motor - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

I think I blew my motor

I was testing out some new spark plugs, but not doing anything abnormal. second gear, gave it gas, boost hit 10 psi, shifted to third, car died. Was able to start engine but it ran like total crap ... limped home. Pulled the plugs and 3 were carbon covered, the forth was clean. I did a compression check on the clean cylinder ... nothing ... no movement of the gauge at all. Other cylinders at 215 psi. No water in the oil, engine temp was normal while running on 3 cylinders. I am guessing I lost my rings.
Not sure what my next steps are ... looking for someone in SW FL that can do the rebuild.
SOLD: BOE modified turbo elise/GT28R, new internals, JCR head & Ferrea valves, Cosworth head gasket, IC, fuel system w/ 750cc injectors, custom stainless exhaust w/ tubular turbo manifold, BOE tuned EFI race ECU, Moroso oil pan, XS boost controller, K&N intake, tail BOV, fuel ratio & boost gauge, Quaiffe Limited Slip Diff & Act Street Clutch, Cyn-r-g segmented flywheel, brake upgrade, aluminum pro-rad, HID beams, Venture shield, carbon fibre splitter & rear custom diffuser, clam hinge
rskdsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
You could do a leak down and that would tell you if it was rings or valves. I'm guessing valves (valve). Either way, it's coming apart.
Dr.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you hold off on running the engine, you may get away with having the head rebuilt. Pull the head first, before you rotate the engine any more. Pulling the head will tell the full story.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did you hear any metal clunking around in there? Possibly dropped a valve, bent a valve, lost a ring, or just blew chunk off the piston. Like Addertooth said, take the head off. That will tell you everything. If it's just the head that is jacked and it didn't take anything else out with it, that's an easy fix. If the cylinders are jacked... well... that is going to suck big time. Time to sleeve that block or have it punched out to a 2.0 stroker.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I did not hear anything banging around in the motor and I did drive it on three cylinders back home ... about 3 miles. Since I already did a compression check and all cylinders are normal except one which is completely dead ... I am guessing my next step is to take the head off and see what really happened.
SOLD: BOE modified turbo elise/GT28R, new internals, JCR head & Ferrea valves, Cosworth head gasket, IC, fuel system w/ 750cc injectors, custom stainless exhaust w/ tubular turbo manifold, BOE tuned EFI race ECU, Moroso oil pan, XS boost controller, K&N intake, tail BOV, fuel ratio & boost gauge, Quaiffe Limited Slip Diff & Act Street Clutch, Cyn-r-g segmented flywheel, brake upgrade, aluminum pro-rad, HID beams, Venture shield, carbon fibre splitter & rear custom diffuser, clam hinge
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have been search for a thread on taking the head off ... I know I saw one, but now I can not find it ... any help?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Changing a head gasket?
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

That is not the one I was thinking ... there was someone who took lots of pics. However that link makes me think I should pay someone ... I do not mind the work, but I want it done right.

BTW I did look down into the spark plug hole, off to the right side of the hole ... I think I see the edge of a valve ... meaning I may have lost the valve ... not the rings. I am guessing if I pull the valve cover I may know for sure.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

I bet it is the valve, if there was a chunk in the cylinder well you'd hear that'

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
FistHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
I bet it is the valve, if there was a chunk in the cylinder well you'd hear that'

Not always true. My friend and I were coming back from lunch the other day and all of a sudden something went pop and we were cruisin on 3 cylinders. Massive amounts of smoke, no metal noise clunking around, obvious serious loss of power. We limped it to his house, pulled the valve cover, and took out all the spark plugs. Cylinder 4 spark plug was crushed and zero compression. The next day we took it up to the shop and dropped the engine out only to find a massive chunk of the piston missing and 1/2" of the ring gone. We didn't hear anything when it blew up and we drove at least 2 miles on it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Yes if it goes under the piston could go in pan

Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

I posted some pic in another thread ... it is the valve. I did not hear anything, car did not smoke, plug was fine ... I am hopeful that the damage is limited
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

I win!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
I win!

I don't think so.
Dr.Hess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Dang it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise