Just painted my friend's Elise last night. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Just painted my friend's Elise last night.

__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
...please excuse the garbage cans in my driveway.
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LiveToDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 586
What type of paint did you use? It's hard to do flat black right, but as long as it maintains it's semi-gloss luster and doesn't grey-out it looks nice.
LiveToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rough Streets of Arlington, VA
Posts: 760
****, paint mine too!


Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Silver_Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
What type of paint did you use? It's hard to do flat black right, but as long as it maintains it's semi-gloss luster and doesn't grey-out it looks nice.
Believe it or not, I used Plastidip! I was just experimenting because I had never used it before and I was really curious to see how it would actually turn out. My friend let me use his car as the guinea pig. It turned out pretty good. Only time will tell how long that stuff lasts.
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
LiveToDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alta Loma, CA
Posts: 586
Isn't Plastidip sort of a thick rubbery product? How much did it take? I'm wondering how much weight you just added.
LiveToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
Isn't Plastidip sort of a thick rubbery product? How much did it take? I'm wondering how much weight you just added.
A. Yes, it's rubberized paint.

B. 1 Gallon.

C. Maybe 2-3lbs at the very most. It probably ways no more than a regular paint job. It sprays so incredibly thin. I did about 7 coats (1 tack, 2 light, 4 heavy).
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
GStephan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beverly Hills, CA
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Believe it or not, I used Plastidip! I was just experimenting because I had never used it before and I was really curious to see how it would actually turn out. My friend let me use his car as the guinea pig. It turned out pretty good. Only time will tell how long that stuff lasts.
Looks great from the first picture. Do you have any close-ups? What process did you use when painting, how many coats, how long did this take, etc?

Graham
GStephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Closer than you think
 
GR82DRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 1,838
Garage
How do you service the finish? I can't imagine you'd want wax anywhere near it!...
__________________
2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
GR82DRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 508
https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

Good site for learning everything about the process and care.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephan View Post
Looks great from the first picture. Do you have any close-ups? What process did you use when painting, how many coats, how long did this take, etc?

Graham
I can get close ups later this week. I just used my trusty old paint gun that I usually use for primer on real paint jobs (I think it's a 1.3 or 1.4 tip). 7 Coats. From start to finish it took about about 6 hours... but my friend has never painted before so I was teaching him as we went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
How do you service the finish? I can't imagine you'd want wax anywhere near it!...
I doubt you can wax it. It'd probably ruin the whole paint job. I did notice that it collects dust extraordinarily fast. Maybe that's just magnified by the black.
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise

Last edited by Pooter; 11-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
V EQLS IR
 
afex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 227
looks awesome!

although as much as i hate to say it, i think i like your matte white more...
__________________
2006 Mag Blue / Biscuit Elise, Sport/Touring (Summer)
2005 BSP Scion tC (DD / winter beater)
afex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member
 
GuppyCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lake Wallenpaupack, Pocono Mountains, PA
Posts: 1,677
Images: 2
Now I'm a firm believer in "to each his own", so just keep that in mind when I say that I think it's sacrilege.............and hideous. I never understood the matte black thing. As long as your buddy's happy. What color was the Elise before?
__________________
2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener
GuppyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Motorcitydak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE Mi
Posts: 282
Also keep in mind that you can literally peel that entire finish off cleanly in about 10-15 minutes. You can actually spray your car with this stuff, go do a track day and stay protected from rocks then peel it all off and keep your pretty car. They actually recommend not masking off any of the car when you spray it. It takes too long and is not worth it. You spray the windows and lights then take a razor to the edges. Peel off the rest and you are good to go

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 11-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Plackslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 3,412
Plasti-dip is fun.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
RENDERMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Le Banane Republique (305)
Posts: 5,387
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooter View Post
Your Title tells me you got wasted and went to work... GF "I hate when he drinks!!"
__________________
"MY PARENTS SAID I COULD BE ANYTHING SO I BECAME AN A$$HOLE"
"Remember, If you don't laugh at your self I will"
Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
Also keep in mind that you can literally peel that entire finish off cleanly in about 10-15 minutes. You can actually spray your car with this stuff, go do a track day and stay protected from rocks then peel it all off and keep your pretty car. They actually recommend not masking off any of the car when you spray it. It takes too long and is not worth it. You spray the windows and lights then take a razor to the edges. Peel off the rest and you are good to go
Actually, I did all the door jambs and it would have been an absolute mess if I didn't tape off the whole interior. Also, I taped off a few things that would be annoying to peel of (like the wiper blade).
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419


__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Pooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by afex View Post
looks awesome!

although as much as i hate to say it, i think i like your matte white more...
I like my flat white better too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Now I'm a firm believer in "to each his own", so just keep that in mind when I say that I think it's sacrilege.............and hideous. I never understood the matte black thing. As long as your buddy's happy. What color was the Elise before?
Haha, it's ok. I take no offense. My friend's car was dark red before... but here is the thing; the previous owner got hit on the driver side rear part of the clam and the body work was AWFUL! Some crappy shop really botched up the entire paint job. I hid sooooo many imperfections by painting it with this Plastidip stuff.
__________________
2005 Flat White Elise
Pooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #20 (permalink)
Registered User
 
2011 chrome orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 736
Alsa Corp has a water based ďspray wrapĒ very similar to plastidip that they just came out with. They have it in gallons and spray cans. I ordered several cans yesterday to test it out. (I wonít be spraying my Evora, but possibly using it on a Ninja powered, enclosed reverse trike Iím building.)

Iím not sure of the durability of the Alsa product yet, but being water based, it can be sprayed virtually anywhere. They also offer it in a couple hundred colors and will even color match it to a chip. It comes with a 2 year warranty. Best part is that if you donít like it, you can peel it off just like plastidip.

Right now, cans are on sale for $9.87 per can (Regular price $18.70, sale ends midnight November 28th)
If you are interested, more info is here: Alsa Corp | Paint Wrap
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.