The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Limp mode

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ReDRuM 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 Elise. Radium turbo kit with AEM EMS 4.
The car had been running great.
I just dropped in the Penke DA, then had a new exhaust made and replaced the stock . WHP went from about 265 to 310 with a new tune. Stock motor and tranny for now.
I was heading off to track day the next day.
The car was rinsed down with water.
Then when the car was started up the engine light came on. Drove like a 3 cylinder eco car. Revved smoothly to a max of 6500. Tried switching off and on. Moments when it seemed ok. Tried "drying out" the throttle body and the arifilter though it seemed dry. Tried pulling the TB harness off and plugged it in again. No luck. Parked it up . Restarted it in morning. No engine light ( EL ), drove great but EL came back on at the track.
Spent a couple of sessions going around the track gently and reestarting the car in pit lane after each circuit during which got rid off the engine light and the car woke up again for a bit. Drove home after lunch again in limp mode. Parked car for a hour . Then it started normally , no EL , drove like a beast for 20 minutes whilst trying to bring on the EL but whatever it was it seems cured.

So what are the possible causes for this ?

See less See more
#3 ·
It may be that you got some moisture down into the area where the coils go into the valve cover/sparkplug holes, and one or more are now arcing out intermittently. Remove all 4, look for moisture or evidence of arcing, apply dialetric grease, re-install and see if that helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.