Live in Florida, Buying from Georgia, pay tax where? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Live in Florida, Buying from Georgia, pay tax where?

I live in Miami and am buying my Elise from LOA in Georgia. Will I pay Georgia sales tax or can I wait and pay Florida tax? I was reading online about a 6 percent rule where if I've had a vehicle more than 6 months I don't have to pay the 6%. Does that mean I get double taxed on it for buying out of state? I know other people are doing similar things, so what do you guys know?
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sales Tax

There isn't much consistency from state to state but here's my situation: I live in Seattle but I'm buying in California. California demands that their sales tax be paid at delivery. Washington's tax rate is a little higher than California's . Washington tells me that when I bring the invoice showing California tax paid, they license the car and charge me the DIFFERENCE amounting to the higher Washington rate. Florida and Georgia may operate similarly.
CDubYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Re: Sales Tax

Quote:
Originally posted by CDubYa
There isn't much consistency from state to state but here's my situation: I live in Seattle but I'm buying in California. California demands that their sales tax be paid at delivery. Washington's tax rate is a little higher than California's . Washington tells me that when I bring the invoice showing California tax paid, they license the car and charge me the DIFFERENCE amounting to the higher Washington rate. Florida and Georgia may operate similarly.

Hey, that's good information. I'm going to be doing the exact same thing, Chapman willing. I've had a hell of a time making sense of the WA DOL website, but I had come to essentially the same conclusion as you.
andykeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I live in VA, and bought in PA. When I bought the car in PA, I paid only a $25 tag fee, and got temp tags so I could take the car home to VA. I then paid tax in VA. I did not pay any taxes in PA.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

All states can impose sales tax when you enter into the state to take delivery of the vehicle, as California does. Then, whey you get to your home state, you pay use tax. However, all states give you a credit for tax paid upon delivery, and you would only owe additional tax to the extent your home state's tax rate is higher than the rate imposed in the state you take delivery (again, see CA-WA posts above)

Some states will allow you to come in, pick up the car, and drive it out without tax being applied....GA is one of these states.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

You will have to pay where you register, most likely your home state, I bought a car in WA & in CA and live in IL, always have paid taxes in IL, if you are forced to pay taxes in another state upon delivery your state should credit that amount and then charge/refund the difference. Check with your secretary of state / DMV first though as each state has its own rules.
bboersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Many states have agreements regarding things like cars, for instance I am buying my car in Texas but paying Georgia taxes and registration. I don't think there are options in most cases, be sure you understand the situation or you may end up paying taxes twice.
James A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you take delivery in GA, you will pay taxes there. You will then pay again as soon as you register the car in Florida. The way around this is to take delivery in Florida. Have your dealer ship the car to you in Miami and then they can not charge you the state taxes. You wil stil have to pay Florida taxes, no way around that...
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

C DUB YA,
If you truck your car from California to Wash and never drive it on our roads then you don't have to pay the tax..
perryeyges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

You may want to contact your DMV. It varies from state to state.
Proud owner of #362
www.DetailersParadise.com
DetailersParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

when i bought my prowler in maryland i didnt pay tax there. had to pay when i got back to fl.
QuickSilver exhaust, Larini De-Cat Pipe, custom intake, Xtec HID, Avic-N1, Chase Cam, Polk Speakers f&r

My pictures!
Elise/Exige Owners Map
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

if moving to MD

My sister got double-whammied. Bought a car in VA just out of college and paid the VA car sales tax. A few months later she was offered a job in MD. Then when she moved into MD, they charge a registration? tax based on the value of the car. It was about 5% if I recall. As far as I know this counts for anyone moving into MD (new or used car- doesn't matter). But, if you're buying new from out-of-state make sure the car is titled in MD and not the state of origin.

NOTE: MD does not have a personal property (car) tax as VA and some other states do-- so this must be how they get their revenue.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Re: if moving to MD

Quote:
Originally posted by DCNSX
NOTE: MD does not have a personal property (car) tax as VA and some other states do-- so this must be how they get their revenue.
Lots of states have the "personal property taxes" built into the cost of the registration. The price of registering the car depends on the current value of the car.

Virginia and a few others have a fixed registration cost, but also have a separate property tax that is based on the value of the car.

In the long run, it ends up being the same...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

In Texas:

Vehicles Purchased Out of State

There is a 6.25 percent use tax on the selling price (less trade-in allowance) of a motor vehicle purchased outside of the state and later brought into the state for use on Texas highways by a Texas resident. The tax also applies to vehicles leased in another state and registered in Texas by a Texas resident. With proof of payment, similar tax paid on the vehicle to another state can be credited against the tax due.

The local sales tax is 8.25% because of 2% city tax, on $50,000 that means $1,000 that you can use for shipping your car over or to fly there and drive it home.

Edit:

If you buy out of state let them know, you or your bank have to deal with paying the state your taxes and they shouldn't charge you their taxes (they'll need your driving license as proof of residence).

Due Date

The tax is due 20 county working days from the date of sale or, if acquired out of state, 20 days from the date of first use in Texas.

Last edited by Miguel; 09-08-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise