Lotus Elise: New-ish Driver's car? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lotus Elise: New-ish Driver's car?

Lotus Talk,

I am a rather newer driver. I have fallen in love with the agility and beauty of the Lotus Elise. My only driving experience so far... has been in my mom's hand-me-down prius. Not a very nice car. I have the opprotunity to purchase the Lotus Elise, my only hesitation from buying it is my safety and my ability to drive a mid-engine car.

Thanks,

Seth

p.s. keep in mind, I've only ever driven a prius
Sethiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old are you? And would you consider yourself a good driver? Any accidents?

Also, have you put any time into learning to drive full manual yet?

I'm finishing some laundry and can post more later, but while I'm not necessarily saying no, make sure you've done your homework. The lotus was my first manual and the second time i ever drove stick was when I drove it home. However, I'm coordinated and a good driver and I just knew. I'm also 23 and had been a member of this forum for a couple years just reading and learning until I found my KG beauty.

The guy I bought it from bought his and paid the shipper to drive it to pull it into his neighborhood and he taught himself for the first time on it. So it's not impossible, but... make sure. Also make sure you know all the costs and care required. If you haven't yet, find the uber post and start reading!

Good luck with your research/potential purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a pretty good driver, no accidents or tickets. My driveway is right on a 50 mph road, image turning into that, also where my driveway lets out onto the road, the on-coming cars cannot really see me. I have done my research, trust me. I love the lotus, I know the engine is rather reliable-- toyota and all. But body work and insurance on the other hand is very difficult. I know that it is difficult to drive in rain/snow, and much more. You were lucky to be taught manual by someone. My parents don't know how to drive stick, but I understand how it works, the only thing about stick that seems annoying is stop & go traffic and starting on a hill. All in all, My ultimate goal is have some fun on the track and try out that wicked agility I have heard the lotus has

- Seth
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

One thing that scares me is the stick shift... Is it as hard as people make it out to be?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

PLEASE don't practice on an Elise. D=
onETon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
German Reimport

Here we go again
Old 01-13-2013, 02:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

How old are you? Have you looked at miata? It is copy of lotus elan.
lotus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

i think you should buy five of them. It's the perfect beginner's car. The only sports cars that are safer and slower, better to start on, would be the GTR or the Lambo.
Seriously - Miata for awhile.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/

Last edited by komiko; 01-13-2013 at 03:41 PM.
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Second One

I think I'm posting this like once a week these days.

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Second One

The answer? No.

You aren't old enough, experienced enough or funded enough.

Funny though - I love the 'hand me down Prius' comment. To me, a hand me down car is a 15 year old crap box like I started on.
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
How old are you? Have you looked at miata? It is copy of lotus elan.
I think the Miata is a great start. It is not as sexy as the Elise, but as you said you have only every driven one car. Going from a Prius to a Miata is going to be a big jump. You might not like the Elise. Sure on the outside it is great, but it has a harsh ride, is loud, small steering wheel and no power steering. All those combined can be a deal breaker for some people. I am not trying to dissuade you from the Elise, but from my own experiences the idea might be better than the reality. I had my heart set on a Ducati 748/912. Great looking and handling bike, but when I finally rode one it broke my heart. I was too short for the bike and it stalled all the time in the heat along with other little foibles.

Learning to drive a stick is not hard, but doing it in an Elise is another thing. When you drive a stick for the first time you have a lot of things going on. Doing this in a car with limited visibility and a steering system that tracks every bump or groove in the road is going to be a challenge.

Used Lotus Elises (Elisi?) are not going away. You are young, have fun. If you are worrying about a car being too much for you or too expensive in a wreck then it is not the right car for you at this time.

Regards.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

From what you are saying, I'm guessing that you are somewhere between 15-17.

If you still want it, don't forget to post pics when you get it!
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post

+1

Maybe we should start telling them all yes... I mean it would be a good eye opening experience when they find they can't afford to drive their cars... Plus when they crash them all of our cars will be worth more!

I think we need a sticky topic for all of the 16 year-olds who think this is the perfect starter car.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Scott Graham

I'm 99% sure you will slide off the road if the elise is your first real car. going from a prius to anything sporty is a huge jump. get a crap stick shift car and learn to drive stick. a lotus is not the car to learn on. the lightest fender bender will cost you thousands in repairs. plus the fact it's very noisy and bumpy. you need to be a serious car nut to want to own one and not get sick of it.

Tons of Sector111 and RLS goodies.
Scottycali4nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but who says I'm 16? I'm in college. I just haven't driven much. Also before I get an Elise, I'll learn how to drive stick on a corolla or something. I wouldn't make my first time on stick on such a difficult car to drive...

Last edited by Aedo; 01-13-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: corrected text as per OPs following comment - you can edit your own post BTW
Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethiam View Post
I'm sorry, but who says I'm 16? I'm in college. I just haven't driven much. Also before I get an Elise, I'll learn how to drive stick on a corolla or something. I would make my first time on stick on such a difficult car to drive...
Every week we get either a 16 year old, or a college student who thinks an Elise is a great car...

Here is last weeks adventure: New guy from Kansas

Read up.

Look... this is the WORST college car EVER! It is small, fender benders cost $5,000+, college students can't park, jealous drunk students will vandalize, can't take your laundry home, you can only have one friend, and trust me on this: girls generally don't like these cars.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Every week we get either a 16 year old, or a college student who thinks an Elise is a great car...

Here is last weeks adventure: New guy from Kansas

Read up.

Look... this is the WORST college car EVER! It is small, fender benders cost $5,000+, college students can't park, jealous drunk students will vandalize, can't take your laundry home, you can only have one friend, and trust me on this: girls generally don't like these cars.
So I should stick with the prius, and maybe after college and some experience with stick, I could buy an elise. You have some good points. Thanks for telling me, I wouldn't wanna total such a nice car.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #18 (permalink)

Seth,

I'm jealous. Short story. Freshman year in college, became good friends with another student in my dorm who owned an older, somewhat used Lotus Europa. Took many drives in that car, and he allowed me some wheel time on occasion. Never forgot those experiences and the pure thrill and exhilaration of driving a true sports car.

Finished school and was able to afford a used MGB-GT. No Lotus, but fun and a mechanical challenge. The car was totaled while parked on the street. And real life got in the way.

From then on it was "practical" cars. Demands of starting and running a few small businesses and all the financial ups and downs just didn't allow for the time and expenditures for a Lotus.

Fast forward 30+ years. Finally purchased an Elise. A dream come true. Wish I had done it years ago.

If your and your family have the wherewithal and agreement without problem, do it.

A few caveats. Learn to drive a manual on another car as many have mentioned above. Immediately get some driver training with a qualified instructor who knows mid engine cars. HPDE at a track is probably a bit too much at first, an autocross program might be best. These cars can be a handful when driven hard and a controlled environment with proper instruction is needed.

Trust and ability are gained through experience. You are young, and have a full life ahead of you. Without self restraint, common sense, and a mature attitude driving a Lotus on public roads, you are doomed to be another anonymous highway statistic. Or at best, trash the car.

Be smart.
RPetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post

Yeah, but it's still funny as hell so keep it coming.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee.engineer View Post
From what you are saying, I'm guessing that you are somewhere between 15-17.

If you still want it, don't forget to post pics when you get it!
I'm betting some of those are totaled. That red one with the minivan parked on top of it really looks totaled.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise