Lotus Elise: New-ish Driver's car? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by komiko View Post
I'm betting some of those are totaled. That red one with the minivan parked on top of it really looks totaled.
Not an Elise. That is a Tesla.
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #22 (permalink)
Orange

To me, these threads - which are becoming REALLY common - are just typical 'teenage dreams' (cue Katy Perry song).

Kids always dig awesome 'things'. For so many of us, it was the white Countach poster on our walls. For some girls, it's a pony.

The point? These threads are just that - teenage dreams (even though are cars aren't really in that dream car world).

Notice that for all of these threads, NOT ONE has popped in a couple of months later saying 'guess what, dad bought me an Elise'

And to add to that - we've NEVER seen a thread from a PARENT saying 'hey, I'm gonna buy my teenager a Lotus - tell me why that's an awesome idea!'
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Orange

And to the OP - you are in college?

Don't worry about fancy cars. There 319 reasons why a Lotus (or an fancy pants sports car) is a bad idea for a college kid.

There's plenty of time after school and after you are making money to get a nice car that you can afford and enjoy. College is all about studying and partying (and possibly working). No time/werewithal to enjoy a car like this.

My advice? Ditch the Prius if you can and buy something comparable in value. Get a Jeep Wrangler. Put the top down and chase coeds. You'll never get that time in your life again.

Or, depending on the college and how you roll, keep the Prius. There's a certain element of the student body that would probably dig that. Probably the theater major war protestor green vegan types, but those chicks are usually nasty and have non-groomed nether regions. Get a Jeep, learn how to drive stick and nail sorority girls.
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
And to the OP - you are in college?

Don't worry about fancy cars. There 319 reasons why a Lotus (or an fancy pants sports car) is a bad idea for a college kid.

There's plenty of time after school and after you are making money to get a nice car that you can afford and enjoy. College is all about studying and partying (and possibly working). No time/werewithal to enjoy a car like this.

My advice? Ditch the Prius if you can and buy something comparable in value. Get a Jeep Wrangler. Put the top down and chase coeds. You'll never get that time in your life again.

Or, depending on the college and how you roll, keep the Prius. There's a certain element of the student body that would probably dig that. Probably the theater major war protestor green vegan types, but those chicks are usually nasty and have non-groomed nether regions. Get a Jeep, learn how to drive stick and nail sorority girls.
I LOL'd at the "nether regions" bit.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Im 16 but have been on here for quite a long time, I dont let what anyone says stop me from wanting the elise or evora (if the prices lower) im currently saving up and all that, and visit the forum daily
If you are that enthusiastic about the lotus than stick with the dream and find a way to make it work, if you could see yourself happier in something else than go for something else, don't let other people tell you what's better for YOU

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Garrett1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #26 (permalink)

Don't get an Elise in college

I was fortunate to have financially supportive parents in college and graduate school. I drove a series of nice, modified VW GTI's. They worked out well because they were utilitarian and were fast.

I had roommates who had an M3, an early C5 Corvette, and a parent's E320 Mercedes. All three cars were vandalized in one way or another (and I went to a good college in a decent area), and generally were destroyed. Moreover, even in our fraternity, there was constant animosity over the cars.

In college, get something reliable and fun -- but avoid flashy and delicate like the plague.

Also, I can tell you that the Lotus is a handful. I have driven manual transmission cars since 1998, when I turned 16. I have driven everything from a bargain-basement Civic to a modified Porsche Turbo with a stick. And I can tell you that the Lotus is the hardest car to drive manual that I have ever driven, bar none. It's a combination of the lack of power steering (making steering more of a chore), the terrible linkage, the terrible low-end torque of the motor, and the general "go-kart" feel of the car.

Moreover, the car I owned before the Lotus was a 400hp+ turbocharged BMW 1-Series. I felt confident that I could handle the "little" 189hp Lotus.

Boy was I wrong. I haven't even pushed this car hard, but I have come very close to swapping ends a couple of times. I plan to do some HPDE events this Summer to get me better acquainted with the RR configuration.

At any rate. Save the Lotus for after college. Get a GTI. Or Ford Focus ST. Or something utlilitarian, fun, and that doesn't draw a ton of attention.
SchnellFowVay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Garage
I agree with most of the sentiment shared on these posts.

I dreamt big since the elise came to the US, and I even planned how I would purchase one after college ended and I started a career/job.

Things didnt work out exactly how I planned (things seldom do) but I did end up being able to finance one, but the money aspect was a lot more difficult than what I expected.

The face value cost of a car is only a simple aspect because insurance costs and repair costs are very high.

driving experience is something that is hugely important. I had been driving my dad's 5 speed hyundai accent once in a while since I was 16 and then bought and daily drove my 5 speed VW TDI for 2 years to round out my manual transmission experience, but I had daily drove a Lexus LS 400 for 5 years with plenty of drift experience gained during that time.

I have only had an elise for about a month, but I have yet to tap out even close to its limits.

Dream come true, but it came 3 years out of college.
Lexus LS 400 '90 Black; Miles: 278,xxx
ZeRoSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

I wonder if this happens on the true exotics forums:
"Hey I'm sixteen, I think the Aventador is the sleekest car ever made, I drove my dad's tuscon for a few minutes in a parking lot. I think i want to buy one. I've even got a job at JC Penny to support it. What do y'all think?"
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #29 (permalink)

OMG how did I miss this one! This is strait out of a Katy Perry song! I think I will apply for a driving job for F1 next week and let them know I'm a little scared about the paddle shifters.

To the OP......Buy a car that you can get laid in, because it gets rough sneaking her into moms house.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #30 (permalink)
Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
OMG how did I miss this one! This is strait out of a Katy Perry song! I think I will apply for a driving job for F1 next week and let them know I'm a little scared about the paddle shifters.

To the OP......Buy a car that you can get laid in, because it gets rough sneaking her into moms house.
Amen. That's why I laugh at the dopey 'politically active' college kids. 20 year olds that haven't yet lived in the real world prattling on about the 'social experiment'.

You are 20. The girls will NEVER look hotter than now. Look around. Young coeds tempting you in yoga pants! Have fun!!!

To that point? Depending on where said college is located (weather, neighborhood), the ultimate college car that is both fun and something that can be a chick magnet, but not over the top? The car that coeds will love AND football players will think is cool AND the Widespread Panic-following hacky sack crowd will adore?

Easy:

Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #31 (permalink)

Garage
These posts are rather funny. I have looked into an Elise/Exige for more than a year now (mostly lurking, obviously). I'm only in my early 20's but I have the means for such a vehicle but finding the price I would like is difficult and the fragility is not something I want to risk living in the north. I still follow closely for a deal that will fit what I want but I am paying more attention to the Evora... I am in no rush and waiting a few years is not a problem.

The fact that these people join the forum and immediately start posting is a bit annoying.
I already got my dream vehicle, a Hummer; even though it is not considered very practical, it is moreso than an Elise/Exige. I realize that anything else would be a toy.

I definitely don't think these people ever think about insurance and maintenance costs. Or the difficulty associated with a young driver buying something with a rebuilt title (probably the only ones they could afford).

Looking into an Elise/Exige.
Trevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #32 (permalink)

O man. Good comments. All of them

Look. I got mine now. In Holland. So used to drive manual all my life (14 years license ). And drove around 500.000km since. In around 14 different cars. Left alone the ones I borrowed from friends or drove because I owned a car detailing shop.

Manual driving itself is easy. To me. Because of the above. If you have low experience + the ****ty gearbox + power+ handling of the Elise... Tricky. I am selective in which friends can drive it because of that. I would not let you. No offense. But a funeral is sad. A repair very expensive.

Takes me to the only objective point of my and other people's post: repairs are expensive! Maintenance is Expensive (no Lambo prices but no Prius either, cause of less reliability. ). Upgrades: you want them. Expensive.

If i look back: at college i MIGHT have been lucky with my driving skills, no vandalizing or other subjective stuff. But I would haver been able to pay for the C service + needed new Scotchguard/brakes/exhaust etcetera etcetera.

Please. Do if you want. If you are rich enough. And if you want to live with the fact that driving this car brings statistical risks with it considering your age and social life.
Like my motorbike instructor said about newby's buying a 1000cc bike:' do they also order their tombstone roses with it?'

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
CarbonElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise