The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

my car is dead...

2K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  mikester 
#1 · (Edited)
dead battery, doh!

#4 · (Edited)
ROCKCENTER said:
WTF !!! I have not touched it in 4 days... alarm works fine, turn the key over, lights come on... push the starter *tick tick tick* nothing... then the power drains... alarm still works... this is a brand new car... wtf is going on? Dome light is facing down like this forum said it needed to be. HELP
I had a similiar issue.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4820

It turned out to be a loose cable at the junction box behind the battery. Good luck.

#5 ·
ROCKCENTER said:
WTF !!! I have not touched it in 4 days... alarm works fine, turn the key over, lights come on... push the starter *tick tick tick* nothing... then the power drains... alarm still works... this is a brand new car... wtf is going on? Dome light is facing down like this forum said it needed to be. HELP
Dead battery. It happens! Not a problem, it's an Interstate battery and the warranty is with the manufacturer of the battery.

#7 ·
ROCKCENTER said:
thank you AAA... all is well in the world again.
Congratulations.... all is well in the world again...thanks to AAA!

....but, doesn't necessarily mean that your problem is solved. Three things come to mind.
1) You left something on which was draining.
2) Something is draining which is unknown.
3) Battery is defective.

I had a situation several years ago where I bought a new Sears 'Diehard' for my MR2. It only lasted one week and was dead. I took it back to Sears to find out that the batteries have a shelf life. This one was basically expired when I bought it. There is a date on the tag which indicates when it was manufactured. It had sat on the shelf too long and shouldn't have been sold. They replaced it....no problem....but these things do happen.

#8 ·
The headlights or parking lights when left on lead to a warning sound when you open the driver's door. It's easy to leave the parking lights on since you turn the parking and heads on with one push of the headlight button. But you turn them off by hitting the headlight and then parking light buttons, which is unusual. I think it's important to discover what happened in your case.

#9 ·
AutoZone (and probably other car parts stores) test batteries for free. They have some fancy battery test device that they hook it up to. I would go and have it checked. If you don't figure out what went wrong, it will happen again.

#10 ·
If all the accessories worked but the car did not crank over that means one of two things happened:

1. The battery did not have enough power to crank the starter, which requires a LOT more juice than accessories. Either caused by a defective battery or you left something on that drained it. Test it, and if necessary charge it fully.

OR

2. The cable that runs from the battery to the starter is loose or not getting a good connection. This is usually a totally different cable than the one that powers accessories (I assume the Elise is the same). They're mounted to the same terminal, but its the thick one that goes to the starter. Frequently you get a good enough connection to power a few amps of accessories but not enough to turn the starter. The clicking you hear is the starter relay. Disconnect the cables, scuff up the terminals a bit, and really tighten them up well.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, Hardtop)

#13 ·
Dead Battery

As a follow up I just had the same thing happen. I have not driven the Lotus for a week. I usually leave the key in the ignition in the off position. When I went to start it today I just got the clicking sound and no turnover. I put a charger on it and after about 5 minutes it started. Maybe there some current passed through the system when the key is left in the switch? I am leaving the key out now and will see what happens.

#14 ·
Ooh, ooh maybe I know

Pg. 44 of the owners manual sez:

"Altough the engine ignition system itself draws no current when the engine is stopped, a battery drain will occur through other circuits even when auxiliary equipment is not being used.

For security reasons and to guard against battery drain, always remove the key when leaving the car."

#15 ·
Re: Dead Battery

AZRED said:
I usually leave the key in the ignition in the off position. When I went to start it today I just got the clicking sound and no turnover. I put a charger on it and after about 5 minutes it started. Maybe there some current passed through the system when the key is left in the switch? I am leaving the key out now and will see what happens.
On mine, the radio remains active and on until the key is removed (then the radio displays "GOODBYE" and powers off. I wouldn't leave the key in the ignition, even in the off position. Not very secure either...:no: :p

#17 ·
raggedy1 said:
this is the first car I've ever owned where you can listen to the radio without having the key in the ignition. i don't know why they wired it this way, but they did!
It does turn off when you take the key out, but the radio still has power.

Pressing the on/off switch twice will bring the radio back on.

Taking the faceplate out and put it back in while it's on and it comes on.

Turn the key all the way to the aux possition and the radio will reset the song on the MMC card when you press the start button.

But I got used to all those things already, actually I like to be able to listen to music while washing my car without the need for the key. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.