My Elise needs new rears, suggestions? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Elise needs new rears, suggestions?

I have stock 8 spoke wheels on my Touring Elise, and rear tires need replacement soon. I currently have Yoko AD07's for all four wheels. On Tirerack.com, it looks like only available front size is Neova Advan AD07's, but rears have many other choices. I read some threads on here to not mix-n-match fronts and rears types, my fronts have plenty of tread left, so I don't need to replace them yet. I don't track the car, just drive local and fwy, and occasionally on twisty mountain roads, seldom drive in the rain. I think summertime tire would be the best, there are a few choices so I would like some input. Also, other brands for front tires would be welcome. Basiclaly, what tire have you used before, and how the car handles with them...Thanks!
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have the LSS wheels so my oems were A048s, but after going through two sets of rears I decided to change up all 4. I'm currently running Dunlop star specs and they are holding up great at the AutoX.
Silver_Surfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
pax

I used Toyo R1Rs on my Elise and they performed pretty well. Most common alternative to stock tires is the Toyo R888s. It's best to keep tires all the same...-definitely- don't use two different rear/two different front tires, and if you're going to be driving hard, it's better to cough up the extra money and make them all uniform.

Dunlop Star Specs are also popular, though I think I recall them not being rated as highly? I've personally never used them.

I can't recall what sizes the different tires come in, but I ran R1Rs and R888s on my touring 05 Elise.

2007 Lotus Exige S - SOLD
2005 Lotus Elise - SOLD
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

You guys are all suggesting performance tires for a guy that indicated he casually drives.

I'd suggest the Dunlop Star Specs or the Yoko Sdrives. I'm using the S Drives right now. Initially, when I started using them I hated them. Their turn in feels like trash when you are changing from AD07s. After a hundred miles or so, they get better. The wet handling is better and the ride is much much nicer ... added bonus, they are 120ish a pop and last longer. I wouldn't worry about different tires too much. Mine came with two different types (Front rear, not left right of course) and the difference is irrelevant in the city.

Personally, I got a second set of wheels so I can have my serious tires and my DD tires. If you start being serious, I'd suggest the same. Until then save yourself a few bucks and get quieter tires. (Your significant other will thank you when you can talk in the car at highway speeds)
ithurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

The Elise I just bought has the S Drives as well, and they seemed nice enough on the 1100+ mile drive home. Certainly quieter than the stage 2 exhaust on the highway. Haven't really had a chance to try any quick curves since I'm still getting used to her. The back tires did go a little side ways when I launched from a stop though, despite having 245s in the rear and 205s in the front. Not totally sure about the previous owner's tire choice from what I've read so far, but I'm still loving the car. Plus I AM really happy with the previous owner's decision to put a Rev 300 on it. :-)
d3mon187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I suggested Star specs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithurtus View Post
You guys are all suggesting performance tires for a guy that indicated he casually drives.

I'd suggest the Dunlop Star Specs or the Yoko Sdrives. I'm using the S Drives right now. Initially, when I started using them I hated them. Their turn in feels like trash when you are changing from AD07s. After a hundred miles or so, they get better. The wet handling is better and the ride is much much nicer ... added bonus, they are 120ish a pop and last longer. I wouldn't worry about different tires too much. Mine came with two different types (Front rear, not left right of course) and the difference is irrelevant in the city.

Personally, I got a second set of wheels so I can have my serious tires and my DD tires. If you start being serious, I'd suggest the same. Until then save yourself a few bucks and get quieter tires. (Your significant other will thank you when you can talk in the car at highway speeds)
Silver_Surfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I switched to AD08s in the rear last year, with AD07s in the front. Even with moderate track day use, they've been fine.
sith33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

My bad Silver, I did the normal forum behavior an skimmed. d3mon, from my experience, its pretty bad, but they have huge springy sidewalls so its to be expected. Its still enough that you can scare a friend though

Everything is relative right?
ithurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've tried a few different tires over the years and BY FAR the best I've found for all around driving on the rear is the the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3.

They are directional, they handle amazingly and they are even good in wet conditions. Not to mention they look awesome with a nice wide stance. And for your wallet's sake they last a long time. Unlike my original Yokos where you merely blink your eyes and look down to find no tread left. I still run with Yokos up front because they don't wear out anywhere near as fast as the rears do.

They are summer tires and have very nice performance. Most of my driving is street with some occasional spirited driving through curvy hill country roads. Though I don't get there often, when at the track I've never reached their limit and they seem to have such a high confidence inspiring limit that you would be hard pressed to exceed that limit.

There are lots of different varieties of Goodyear Eagle tires but the F1 GS-D3 is the one that seems custom made for the Lotus Elise.

Goodyear*Eagle F1 GS-D3
Attached Images

saffron blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Goodyears

+1 on the Goodyears. I went through 2 rear sets while I had the Elise - 36K miles total in 6 years. Replaced the fronts at 36K miles with OEM tires - since they lasted so well, why try something different.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Is that a 255 rear Goodyear you have pictured?
VFR800/CB750K8
fatallightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

I like all seasons. I had khumo asx and now run continentals.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #13 (permalink)

I'm with Sith33. I've got AD08's on the rear. I don't know what the differences are between the 07's and 08's but I don't notice an issue. And your driving situation is similar to mine. Not cheap though. I replaced the 2 rears with 08's from Tire Rack for $750.
'05 Elise #557, CO, Touring & Sport pack, both tops, B&M short shift, itg Maxogen intake, Racing harness bar, RTD2 brace, Fire Extinguisher, CF console, Battery extender, Lidbone, Bootie
'61 Land Rover Series II 109 3 door--sold
'66 TR-4A IRS--sold
'71 Porsche 914/4--sold
Noelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith33 View Post
I switched to AD08s in the rear last year, with AD07s in the front. Even with moderate track day use, they've been fine.
+1 AD08 with stock AD07 up front, keeps the correct balance and ride...and the price is reasonable, Trust me....do not try S-Drive.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelsmith View Post
I replaced the 2 rears with 08's from Tire Rack for $750.
Tire Rack is showing $199 each for 225 45 17 AD08, Did you replace all four?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
S-Drives here. No complaints.

Also only a street driven car.
DIY: HID Install | DIY: Clear Side Signals | DIY: Headlight Restore | Composite Worx SP-1 Seat Install
Sold my Elise! R8 up next!
TheChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:53 AM   #17 (permalink)

I am running stock tires on the fronts, and Falken Azenis on Rears. The Falkens have been REALLY great tires. I would argue that they feel exactly like the stock tires. Also the Falkens I have found to be just a tad less expensive. I think I am also getting an extra 2-5k miles more on them as well. Highly recommend.
tko211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatallightning View Post
Is that a 255 rear Goodyear you have pictured?
Fatal Lightning, the Goodyears pictured on my Lotus are 225/45ZR17. They are a great fit.
saffron blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

New AD08's feel great

I ended up ordering the Advan AD08's from TireRack. $199 per wheel. Got them mounted and balanced on a spare set of rear rims. Still using the old AD07's up front. BTW, how long do the fronts last? The date stamp on them is 2007. Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 07:44 AM   #20 (permalink)

My Elise needs new rears, suggestions?

Good choice on the AD08s, stock fronts seem to be good for 22 to 25k mls..... some have gotten 40k, if the sidewalls look good run them out.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise