The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

My first Lotus, need input on dent w/ pic

6K views 36 replies 25 participants last post by  oddiseas09 
#1 ·
Hi, so I'm in the process of closing the deal on a 2006 silver lotus elise. I've been back and forth with the owner and he has shared pics etc. The car has 48,000 miles on it. The car was fully inspected at Autosport Lotus in Indiana and they said the chassis and body were completely fine. Here is what I need you lotus gurus to help me with. Attached is a pic where a previous owner tried to jack up the car and left a dent under the body.. What do you think of this??? I'm getting a very good deal on this car ($24k). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Tis a scratch, Nothing but a flesh wound.

#9 ·
Mine's got a few spots of bent-up aluminum underpanels (I think someone tried to improperly use a lift on it) and I paid more than you - for a silver '05, for whatever that's worth. As long as it's not rattling around...

The good part is that if/when you sell it, you can point out how well you've taken care of it, and how you saved it from the idiot who had it BEFORE you. (The DPO, as they say.)

#10 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about it.
You'll find a lot of threads here where people say the tub can not be repaired and therefore the car should be totaled (and many cars have indeed been totaled for such damage).
But I would consider this cosmetic, and if you get a good deal on the car (which apparently you do), then go for it.

My car has a 3ft gouge in the under panel from the last time I had it shipped from Europe to the US.

Ceiling Architecture Plaster

While it really sucked when I first saw it once the car arrived on a car hauler, I eventually got over it.
And since I don't plan to ever sell the car, I don't really care about it any more.

Reactions: darkSol
#14 ·
@FinalForce - I'll be the naysayer ... if that's the only damage, then I'd wonder what else is wrong. The price just seems too low for a ding in the aluminum tub.

That damage was done by someone who didn't know what they were doing and (apparently) couldn't be troubled to read the owner's manual. I'd wonder what else I was going to find after the sale. For my taste, I'd be looking for another car, even if I had to pay $5K - $6K more.

Glen

#18 ·
There have been posts here and there from some LT members who had that "oops" effect when their hockey puck slipped out from underneath the car. Even if you read the owner’s manual and know how to use a wrench, that stuff happens!
I'm not saying that getting the car checked out properly is a bad thing, but generally saying that there must be other issues based on that ding is a bit far-fetched IMO.

The price is bit low.
The three under tray fastener locations that run along the rockers look like they were over torqued because
the aluminum is indented. There is an awful dent in the tub/frame which means the owner had no business
trying to work on his Lotus. What else did he damage? I would pass without question.

Even if a shop/dealer says the car is OK that may be meaningless because not many people
really know much about these rare cars. I would drop the under tray and diffuser.
-Robert
I can hardly imagine that overtorquing that M6 bolt would deform the undertray like that.
You would either shear off the bolt, or strip the thread in the clip, but I highly doubt that the undertray would warp.

If the OP is going to buy this car, then I would recommend to have that undertray removed first to check if there is other damage in that area underneath.

Reactions: Mobius97
#15 ·
Glen makes a good point (as usual), so I would ask the OP, did Autosport Lotus in Indiana check anything but the body and chassis? A little invested up front to thoroughly check all aspects of the car could save you a lot later.

San

#16 ·
pass

The price is bit low.
The three under tray fastener locations that run along the rockers look like they were over torqued because
the aluminum is indented. There is an awful dent in the tub/frame which means the owner had no business
trying to work on his Lotus. What else did he damage? I would pass without question.

Even if a shop/dealer says the car is OK that may be meaningless because not many people
really know much about these rare cars. I would drop the under tray and diffuser.
-Robert

#17 ·
inspected at Autosport Lotus....they said the chassis and body were completely fine
Autosport Lotus? I see nothing with that name. The inspection missed the dent and I see the fiberglass nearby is damaged. If you can't look at this car in person, pay for an independent and full PPI.

I'm with the other gang - that price is much too low for nothing else to be wrong.

#22 ·
If you want a near 100% guarantee of a (no such thing an 100% guarantee in this world)
Lotus without issues then go through British Racing Group: Robert Connick
He is a consignment agent, among other things. I cannot say if he is still in this line
of work though...

I bought my Exige through this business in early 2014. It was a painless experience and
I got a fair price, but most importantly peace of mind.

-Robert

#23 ·
(no such thing an 100% guarantee in this world)

Just death and taxes.

#25 ·
Good for you.

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car: re-ENFORCER - Shift reinforcement for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 10 (or 20) minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/cooling-ticking-timebomb-how-your-cooling-u-tube-47232/

9. Visit the Uber Thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/elise-exige-uberpost-read-everything-you-need-know-here-25131/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

#30 ·
@FinalForce there are plenty of people that have either DIY or professionally repaired similar issues. To be fair, yours is larger than some others and the location of the break is difficult but you can search on this website for experiences. I hadn't worked with fiberglass in 25 years but I found my similar repair to be easier than when I was trying to bond fiberglass to metal. You can search my posts to find my experience (click on my name on the post).

#31 ·
Thx guys! the car came with HIDs, new Corbeau racing seats, had the recalls done, was inspected, has the blackwatch racing exhuast ST, Team Dynamic pro wheels 16/17's, new tires, race battery, harness bar, 6 point harness, and a Momo steering wheel.

I was just looking in the salvage yard and noticed the Stebel horn. And now a member posted it (must be a sign). Is it easy to install??? I'm really bad at wiring etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.