NOS and the Elise/Exige - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

NOS and the Elise/Exige

I am in the middle of a build of my 2005 Elise and was wondering if any of you guys have implemented NOS systems on your Lotus. I have already prepared the drivetrain with a new HD flywheel and clutch from Vision Function. I am about to order the Vision Function stage 2 supercharger with injectors and Charlie X remap. I was thinking about backing it with a Methanol system as I did on my twinturbo Dinan 335, but I am now thinking i may want to get a little more aggresive and at the same time bypass an engine management program such as vishnu. Anybody with experience out there with NOS and there Lotus? Searching for good advice. Thank you.
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
ERP

I hope you have a good flack jacket. I don't think I have ever seen a post on here where someone added NOS to their Lotus. However, it would be nice to have an extra kick during track days when a slow but high hp car refuses to let you pass on the long straights.
2006 Chrome Orange Elise - 6.3 lbs/hp - MP-62 Supercharger, 3.2" Pulley, BOE Fast-Works Tune, Ported Head, MWR Stage 3 Cams, Track Pack Suspension, Cup Air Box, PPE Header with Catless Custom Twin Tip Exhaust, Fidanza Flywheel, ACT Clutch, MWR Water Pump + Alternator Pulley, 1900 lbs
Saab Turbo X, 415hp, 532 tq
Tesla S P85D - Mid March Deliver
ERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Id be willing to get into this. I already got the VF 2 kit.. Haters gonna hate though'

Last edited by FistHammer; 08-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.
FistHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do a search for nitrous. There are a handful of threads on the topic with some good info. A lot of people here stay away from it. I was considering it for a while, bought a kit and ended up not installing it. I plan to go the supercharged route instead.

Also do a search on newcelica.org. There is some good 2zz nitrous info there.

I never read of anyone using nitrous in conjunction with a supercharger. now that could be interesting!
I still have my kit, new in the box. PM me if interested.
boardertj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

NOS is generally frowned upon here. Supercharging is #1 performance mod. Now if you really want to go crazy a few has gone supercharger with turbo also for up to 700 hp. Now THAT is a rush!

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

I tend to dislike performance goodies which require periodic refilling such as water/meth and nitrous. That said, there is one good reason for considering nitrous. The performance gain is not altitude dependant. At about 8300 feet of altitude, my 265 hp (crank) drops down to about 190 actual crank HP. A 50 shot of nitrous produces an extra 50 horse with no regard to altitude. With nitrous, the devil is always in the tuning details.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

See what I mean?
Old 08-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
At about 8300 feet of altitude, my 265 hp (crank) drops down to about 190 actual crank HP.
Maybe this is only true for a turbo, but forced injection in general should be immune to altitude. It compresses air to a certain pressure, regardless of how dense the air was to begin with.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Less percentage of O2 per fixed volume of "air" at high altitude. Fi does not distinguish on composition. In ither words the volume of air is less dense.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
03 GMC Yukon
90 eclipse gsx 420 whp sold
04 civic si sold
13 Ford focus ST
tommyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Also I have researched the whole meth thing, It would be cool, but you need to tune your car to run it at all times, and have a 5 gallon tank with you lol... if you run out your engine melts....

Let's get the no2 I am a click away from buying the last few pieces.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Fisthammer,
I am interested in how it all turns out. Please post a DIY article when you have it installed/debugged/tuned.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Cool, glad to see some interest on the forums. I usually do make threads for my Mods and I will do so for this one too.

So far I found an adapter that plugs right into the fuel lines quick connect link buy the engine to the fuel rail. that gives you a 4an fitting "just what you need for a wet no2 system"

Also I have a throttle position switch, if you have a 2005 slap it right on the carb area. If you have 2006+ like me, right now I think its best at the pedal. if you were slick you could get it in the mechanics of the throttle control by the fi but that unit looks real expensive, not worth tearing apart atm. Also maybe some smart guy like TurboPhil would know some magic wire I could relay from that gets power only at Wide Open Throttle. If you know him lets see what he says'

I got a NX kit in mind, I was gonna buy that ruger LCP this weekend but maybe I should lean towards the NO2, winter is coming in the burgh but i still have time for some fun.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #13 (permalink)

Nitrous Kit install
Nitrous Installation Notes
fast+forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

HelloKitty, I have seen the charts for supercharger application in aircraft. You are making a 6ish PSI *difference* between outside air pressure and supercharger outlet pressure (example katana2). As outside pressure drops, supercharger outlet pressure takes a similar drop. Which is why at 8300 feet, where the outside air pressure is 10.2 PSI (minus the efficiency loss of the supercharger) plus 6 pounds, bumps you up to about 14.7PSI (sea level air pressure). Compared to the air around you at 8300 feet, you will see about 6 ish pounds of boost (minus efficiency loss), but the outside air is already 4.5PSI lower than sea level air. To achieve the same actual manifold pressure (supercharged) seen at sea level, your supercharger would have to create an additional 4.5 pounds of boost. I.E. it would have to perform more work with less air pressure in the intake of the supercharger to start with. You might be able to achieve this with a smaller pulley, but your IAT would likely become a problem because you are no longer in the efficiency sweet spot of the supercharger.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

Cool links, I am interested in that controller By NX.. the 2005's you can see how easy n02 would go as far as finding a WOT
Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Nitrous works great with these engines. 70 shot is bad ass.
Do this though, Get a fuel pressure switch to turn it off if fuel pressure drops.
And second make sure you have a wide band o2 so you can see your AF ratio.
Then you can fine tune and get the right mixture so you don't melt you ****.
Make sure you never use it under 3000 rpm's also.

But yea, My car freakin rocked out on NO2. Gotta keep filling that bottle though, it's addictive and expensive.
Also if you hit it too often the ECU will be pulling timing. It could get to the point where it loses lots of power when you are not using it.

I have never tried it with a supercharger. Personally I wouldn't do that, but do let us know how it turns out.

Some people will argue that I cratered my engine and that is true. I was wide open accelerating and shifting from 3rd to 4th (not spraying). Well I didn't exactly find 4th.

I found 2nd instead. Piston kissed a valve, which did not show any damage at first.
In fact, it took a good long while before the head of the valve fell off and took out my piston...
So now I have a built motor
I'm saving up for the rev 400.
I don't like having to deal with the bottle bullcrap. It really is a pain.
It does feel badass though.

good luck!
92 Toyota Previa
DWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

I wanna see some videos of an elige with nitrous. An extra 50hp seems like it'd be a night and day difference. Obviously nitrous isn't practical and the track rats around here will flame it until no end, but it really does sound like fun! I'll be watching this thread for sure!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
Carbon Fiber

dwebb thanks for he voice of experience, I get what your saying but I'm not really gonna raise a brow if I blow the motor. Like you said, just make a badass one.

Pooter, nice to see you poke in! any recent mods beyond the flux capacitor??
Old 08-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Kitty View Post
Maybe this is only true for a turbo, but forced injection in general should be immune to altitude. It compresses air to a certain pressure, regardless of how dense the air was to begin with.
Turbos are less drastically effected by altitude because the absolute pressure (boost + atm) are usually regulated by spring operated wastgates or similar. Additional boost makes up for the lesser atmosphere

This is not true for positive discplacement systems like we have on most of our applications. They are generally regulated by pully size and lose power with altitude

Just an FYI
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
aschen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FistHammer View Post
dwebb thanks for he voice of experience, I get what your saying but I'm not really gonna raise a brow if I blow the motor. Like you said, just make a badass one.

Pooter, nice to see you poke in! any recent mods beyond the flux capacitor??
Nah, I've been trying to stay a little low key lately because I just bought a house. That kinda stole a bit from my "fun" fund. I've got a few small projects going that'll probably show up in a post pretty soon... But all 3 projects are safety related. So they aren't flashy things like nitrous or FI of sorts.

On a more thread related note, I'd seriously consider picking up a nitrous kit over the winter just to goof around with. I'm excited to see where this thread goes.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise