The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

OBDII code readers don't work

22K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  TechnoHippie 
#1 ·
So, since I've been searching for a place to re-calibrate my gauge cluster I've also been looking into code readers.

I've read SO MANY threads and this is what I gather:

-Pre 2008 cars are very picky since they run a "Lotus specific" CAN program?
-Most code readers just cannot work on the car and get confused
-Even if a code reader works on one car, it might not work on another

This is pretty crazy. I've experienced this too. My cheapy OBDII code reader won't work. I went to a shop and they had this laptop sized fancy looking diagnostic reader and all it could do was pull up the following information: Lotus, 2005 and 1.8L

I didn't have any codes to read but the emissions testing system could not connect to my car. Strange.

Is it really just trial and error to find a code reader that works on your specific car? If so, that's definitely no fun.

Also, Lotus of West Covina said they were capable of changing mileage on an odometer but that I should contact a closer dealer.

The dash cluster has to be removed to be worked on right? If so, do you think that I would be able to send it in from a different state? I haven't asked, but I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
i don't actually know anything about the specifics of purchased code readers or communicating with the lotus, but i do plan to experiment with it after i read more of the ecu code. my end goal is to try and use the windows api to write an application for serial communication using my $10 obd cable. this is a pie in the sky for now, though.

one thing that i saw was that the lotus ecu (2005MY, so not CAN) code sets up the serial communication baud rate around 10.9 kbaud or something. i don't remember off the top of my head the exact rate, but i have it written out in the annotations of the code. does this match the normal rate for iso1941 obd ii close enough? i.e. 10.4 kbaud?

#3 ·
I have one of the Bluetooth adaptors, from Amazon I think, and it works fine with the Torque app on my phone. It read the couple of CELs I have had. Here in Colorado the emission place plugs into our cars for testing that that went just fine for my ’07. Maybe I’ve just been lucky as I do believe others have had issues.

#5 ·
I have the ELM 327 Wifi OBDII Tool:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Elm327-Wirless-Diagnostic-Scanner-Wireless/dp/B00871CJFI[/ame]

It connects when I search for 2006 Toyota Matrix 1.8L. I'm able to read all OBDII parameters when using Dash Command on my iPhone.

Apparently I got lucky! Got this tip to buy this tool from some LT members in Hong Kong.

#10 ·
#6 ·
that's actually pretty funny.

Toyota Matrix huh? I might try that out just for the heck of it.

I'm not sure it'll do anything if I don't have any codes though...

#7 ·
The matrix R was one of many cars to have the same 2zz, so the ECU is and OBDII stuff were probably copy-and-paste. I usually buy spark plugs for a Celica GTS since some stores don't even have Lotus in the dropdown menu.

And another vote for the ELM chip. Works fine for my '05 (as an '05 Elise) in Dashcommand

#8 ·
FWIW, I had a generic ELM327 v1.2 BT adapter that didn't work right on my 11 Evora (would throw RXE and ROR errors), but the newer v1.5 BT adapter does work fine. Don't know if that's applicable to the Elise as well.

#9 ·
Thanks for the help with this guys.

Would I be wasting my time if I don't have any codes? Or would it be a good idea to see if it even links?

#11 ·
I would definitely take the time now, so that way it is ready whenever you really do need it. Plus, you can get an idea for what "normal" values for different parameters look like so that you can tell when your trims or mass flow or whatnot starts to deviate.

#13 ·
It is possible to have an ECU, particularly a T4 (2005) variant, that simply will not communicate via OBD and still run just fine. I don't see it often, but I have seen 2005 ECUs with completely dead OBDs. It required a complete reflash through the BDM to bring back to life. Never looked into it further....

-Phil

#18 ·
This happened to me. Car ran fine, and even the check engine light worked, but it would not connect to even the dealer tool.

In my case it was toasted chip on the ECU. Apparently the chip is no longer in production. Fortunately Charlie was able to extract one from a different ECU and swap mine out. If I remember correctly, the diagnosis was something along the lines of high voltage to the K line, likely a harness short, or someone plugging a non-standard tool into the OBD port.

The chip was visibly burned, so the OP might want to crack open his ECU if he's exhausted his other options.

#14 ·
#15 ·
Hey Ken, most ELM's are going to work. The Torque app has all of the Elise PID's and works great with most all ELM's. I personally use the ELM 327 BT one for dirt cheap on ebay.

#16 ·
Okay, I just bought an Autel al619 so I could troubleshoot my Hummer and decided to see if it would work on my car.

It didn't but it read " can fast, can slow, can fast, can slow" then it would settle on : ISO 91 41-2.

I've read on other sites that this is a different obdii protocol. The autel is updatable so I emailed the help desk. Anyone have an idea?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

#31 ·
For the 2005-2007 at least the problem is that the ECU uses KLine for diagnostics, but also exposes the ECU to dash CAN bus. OBDII readers generally run through their list of protocols (J1850, CAN, KWP, KLine) until they find something that works. Some readers work out to use KLine, or you can force them to use KLine. Other readers are perpetually confused because they see a CAN bus as well, and so try transmitting on CAN as well. The dash does not like anything else on the CAN bus, so stops working. I've never tried it but for the pre 2008 removing CAN from the reader plug would probably fix it.

#34 ·
What is the Torque app called on iOS devices? I'm not seeing anything under that name. I am seeing one called "OBD Fusion - OBD2 Vehicle scan tool". Is this the right app? I do see the Dashcommand app just fine, but it seems like people are having better luck with the Torque app so I'd rather throw my $10 there first. I just bought the ELM 327.

#35 ·
I bought this...
OBDII Scanner Code Reader Bluetooth CAN OBD2 Scan Tool for Torque Android ELM327 | eBay

and use this app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

Works fine with my 2005 Lotus Elise.

I do have one question though - I notice that there is no way to see oil pressure or oil temp. I assume that for the oil temp there is no sensor - but since their IS a oil pressure idiot light - shouldn't I be able to see that? Anyone know if we can see oil pressure via the OBD11 ????

#37 · (Edited)
I do have one question though - I notice that there is no way to see oil pressure or oil temp. I assume that for the oil temp there is no sensor - but since their IS a oil pressure idiot light - shouldn't I be able to see that? Anyone know if we can see oil pressure via the OBD11 ????
oil pressure is not a standard OBD PID:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

oil temperature is mode 1, PID 0x5C, but this is not supported on the 2005 T4 ecu.

as far as i know, they are also not in the lotus specific OBD PIDs either. this statement comes with the caveat that I'm not too far into the code yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.