Oil light flashing. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Oil light flashing.

Hi all,

First time we took the Elise out after the trip back from Orlando. We took it to a LOONY breakfast on Sunday. When we got back, still had a few gal of fuel so I wanted to burn that off before putting car away for the winter. Pulled out of the driveway and the oil light flashed. Drove a few blocks and same thing. Not at idle, just driving. I checked the oil level, and all is ok.

First some ideas on what it could be. I am thinking that the wire might be loose on the sender unit. But I had another thought. Perhaps it is time to put in an oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge.

I see I can buy the cluster holder from blackwatch. Dont see it anywhere else. How about the guages? Mechanical oil pressure with a hose, or do I go with electrical with a sender.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Such moderate

Possibly a bad oil pressure switch.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wouldn't assume it's a loose wire on a sensor until you've exhausted every other possibility. Did your car get the oil cooler recall?
Very dangerous to your car's engine to continue driving with the light on!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Such moderate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
I wouldn't assume it's a loose wire on a sensor until you've exhausted every other possibility. Did your car get the oil cooler recall?
Very dangerous to your car's engine to continue driving with the light on!
The recall isn't out until Jan.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

I sent you a PM.
Type82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Don't assume it's a bad sender. Perhaps get the sandwich eliminator Toyota adapter and try again without the oil coolers hooked up. If the light's still there, replace the sender, but be ready to do an oil pump.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvacc View Post
Hi all,

First time we took the Elise out after the trip back from Orlando. We took it to a LOONY breakfast on Sunday. When we got back, still had a few gal of fuel so I wanted to burn that off before putting car away for the winter. Pulled out of the driveway and the oil light flashed. Drove a few blocks and same thing. Not at idle, just driving. I checked the oil level, and all is ok.

First some ideas on what it could be. I am thinking that the wire might be loose on the sender unit. But I had another thought. Perhaps it is time to put in an oil pressure gauge and oil temp gauge.

I see I can buy the cluster holder from blackwatch. Dont see it anywhere else. How about the guages? Mechanical oil pressure with a hose, or do I go with electrical with a sender.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Go with an electrical gauge, and it's not your oil pump, if it was you'd have the oil light on all the time....
BTW, these types of pressure switches ground when on (on in this case is low pressure), so it won't be a loose wire...
Otherwise, it's bone stock....

Last edited by Apex_in_sno; 11-13-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: added stuff...
Apex_in_sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

You store your car with an empty tank?
Old 11-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySniper View Post
You store your car with an empty tank?
Just saw this. Yes. I store my cars with the tanks as empty as I can. I also put in blue Stabil.

My thoughts are that with the Ethanol in the gas, why would you want more of this corrosive stuff in you tank? Get it as low as you can and then put in an ethanol stabilizer like the blue stuff from Stabil. It is the marine version of the product.

You will get phase separation over the winter. If I can treat 1 gal with something that may inhibit seperation, that is easier then treating 10 gal. And I know that if you fill you tank, you get less chance of absorbing water, but with the tank sealed, will you get that at all? In my other Lotus cars with fuel cells, I try and drain them completely.

Open to more ideas on the subject.

At the cost of this ethanol crap, why dont we put pressure on the goverment to stop it? It is only increasing the cost of gas, food and meat. It is just crazy.

edit. I see you are in Buffalo. Why not join the LOONYs? We do have a good time.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have purchased the gauge pod from Black Watch. I have ordered an oil pressure and oil temp gauge with a sending unit for both, the light and a T to put it all together. I will install it. Let you all know what happens.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's a big go kart!

Good luck with the install, having peace of mind by using that oil gauge is priceless.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

next on the to do....
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise