The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Wheels?

• 5-star grey or silver

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • 5-star gold

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • medium mesh silver or grey

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • medium mesh gold

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • TMB grey or silver

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • TMB gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • supermesh silver or grey

• supermesh gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • supermesh red or purple

• you're an idiot, this contravenes the Lotus protocol, etc

Votes: 7 22.6%

Opinion on wheels

12K views 59 replies 30 participants last post by  LotusCC 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone,

It's time to upgrade my wheels. I'm going with a 3-piece forged 18/17 setup and will arrange a slight drop later on (maybe 0.75 to 1 inch). I need your opinions on mesh, supermesh, or some 5-star OG goodness. Let me know what you guys think:

Avant Garde F210:

Avante Garde F210 in gold:

F230 in gunmetal:

F230 in gold:

Rotiform TMB in grey:

TMB in gold:

Supermesh like these Rotiform LHRs (would be another company since this doesn't come in 17s):

TMB in brushed silver:

AG F140 in gunmetal:

AG F140 in red (example of something a little too showy):

See less See more
#8 ·
Yeah, with the car's color I would avoid Gold for sure.

Most of them are to much, especially for a simple design of a car.

But my votes have been casted.

#9 ·
These wheel would look nice on a slammed VW, sorry. Really awful on the Elise.

I think you knew what some of us would say, your poll is cute!

#12 · (Edited)
I understand the comments. Thanks for them. I want some wheels with some more bite, more aggressive offset. These wheels will be light and strong, so they should retain most of the driving characteristics.

Not converting to a 5-lug, they're custom milled so the offests and bolt pattern/hub diameter will be customized.

The candy red and all that, it's more for fun to look at, but I have to admit it's cool. Anyways, that's why I'm asking everyone's opinion in the first place. Appreciated, as always - this is the best forum!!!!

#24 · (Edited)
just curious - what size are those wheels?

here's a pic of my car and those wheels you have look much larger... the top of your wheel comes up to the -------- (visible line) separating the pieces of the car.... mine is a good 6" below it.
my fronts are 16" and the back are 17". i hear there are issues with anything larger... tires = proxy 888's

#25 ·
If nothing else, the OP sounds like a good-- if slightly misguided-- guy. Advice: if you do go there, keep the stockers in the garage for after, you know what I mean?

#26 · (Edited)
Why misguided? The wheels I'm looking at should be lighter than stock, and an inch bigger all around. I think the stock 16/17s make the car look too dainty. Part of the problem with the Elise is it doesn't look aggressive enough. I hear it from everyone I know, who happen to love the car at the same time, and I totally agree.

Also, the 2011 does away with all the fins and vents. If I don't add some visual detail in the wheels, where the hell is it supposed to come from? LOL!!!

I definitely plan to keep the stock wheels. Don't get me wrong, I like the monoblock look and in matte black, they're pretty nice for stock wheels, but they're starting to bore me. I'll probably rotate them when I get sick of each set.

#28 ·
Just so you have a better understanding of the issue of offset, here's what happens when you put multi piece rims on the front of an Elise. Seriously f'd up stuff:

I run a 17"/18" one piece combo for now. Without widening the clam several inches (or going brake less) there's just no way to get the look your going for.

#30 ·
^ I think it'll look fine. We're talking about an inch of upsizing, not 20's all around.

I'm going to go as wide as possible. In fact, the more I get told to stay stock, the more likely I'm just going to go hellaflush fitted stanced or whatever the young whippersnappers are calling it these days. Hey you kids get off my lawn!!!!

#33 ·
As a little FYI, it doesn't matter if they're lighter than the stock wheels, they'll still likely be technically heavier becuase there are 2 components to getting a wheel going... one is based solely on the weight, the other is based on how much energy it takes to get spinning... (which only applies to spinning things, like wheels) and in which case the diameter and location of the weight makes all the difference in the world... so this component of the engery equation will make a 17/18 wheel set perform heavier than a smaller set... becuase the weight is further out from the center.

I've bent an LSS rear rim, so i think it's a horible idea going with larger wheels even if you could care less if they're heavier. It's your car, you're not required to give a crap whether they're worse performing but rougher riding and more likely to damage is a very real issue potentially... and not a cheap one if you're going full custom. I also think the ride is going to suffer... roads suck in my neighnorhood which pretty much necessitated i went with a 15/16 set... much improved the ride.

#35 ·
I understand the physics behind your warning but I think a wheel that is 7 kg instead of the stock 9, even if an extra 0.5" on either side, probably won't be that different in terms of unsprung weight or whatever the technical term is. I also don't think my roads in montreal , as bad as they are, necessitate going down to a 15" rim. I have 19s on my S4 and I've never had a problem.

Anyways thanks for your input, as alarmist as it might be. I appreciate it. In any case, I'm a stubborn son of a bitch and I'm going to go ahead and get some silver or matte black 5 stars at a grand a pop because I'm also reckless with my money. Thanks for all the input everyone!!! LT forever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.