The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Pearl Vision backup camera plate

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Mobius97 
#1 ·
#5 ·
What's the OBD connection for?

#9 ·
I thought it would via the speed and RPM or some other checks like that. It does state that the adapter looks at things like speed when describing it on their website and that is what triggers the cameras on.

#15 ·
Speed and rpm are always positive, so they don't give any indication of being in reverse. At best, the camera would automatically turn on when you're just going slow which would be terribly annoying in stop-and-go unless they have an accelerometer, too, that can tell when going backwards

#10 ·
I thought it would via the speed and RPM or some other checks like that and can figure out what gear you are in. It does state that the adapter looks at things like speed when describing it on their website and that is what triggers the cameras on.

#18 ·
That's pretty cool! I haven't seen that before.

I would think the best option here would be to install a better single DIN HU that supports a camera and install a backup cam to go along with it. Costs would be under $500 easily. I had to replace the backup cam video cable on my Evora a couple weeks ago which required removing the rear interior, side sills and parts of the dash. For the Elise I assume it would be much easier to run the cable and then install a license plate mount for the camera. The HU swap on the Elise is a piece of cake and I did that in under 2hrs. That way you get a much nicer system and the camera to boot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.