Quick spin during the winter - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Quick spin during the winter

Hi guys.
So the elise has been in the garage since the first week of december, and I am getting the crazy urge to take it out, just for 1 quick drive. There is no snow and it is kind of warm (by IL winter standards). I know most of the car construction is fiber glass / AL, but would there be any risk of lasting damage (from salt, water etc) if I were to take it out for just 1 hr?
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

I'd spray it off when you're done at least. Be careful!

Your PM box is full btw!
qu1Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

You will never get the salt out of one once your drive it in the salt.

I am so crazy about that I store my car at the house next door. I have been working on it in my garage. Last week I snowblowed a path over the grass to drive it next door rather then "street" drive it the 100 feet to the next door driveway.

Now if you dont care and are going to sell the car at some point. Fine. But if you plan to keep it or want to advertise it as never being in salt, do not do it.
tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

if you end up in a situation where salt has gotten on your anodized aluminum, there is a product called "salt away" (i think that is the name) that will neutralize the corrosive properties when applied.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

I started using SaltAway last year on my everyday drivers. While it does work, and I have seen how of works, driving a car on salty roads will put salt in places where I doubt you will be able to gei.t to it unless you had a way to evenly spray the underside of the car with the spray going straight up.
You can buy SaltAway from Amazon and West Marine.

I had a great hour conversation with the inventor. Stuff does work.
tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Orange

Maybe it's just me but I think people go overboard with the salt thing.

I can understand extensive period of exposure, but a random drive here or there shouldn't matter.

And who knows if I'll keep the car until the end of days...

I'm sure there are PLENTY of owners who have driven the cars in snow and salt. Cars are now 8 years old and I haven't seen one thread of salt corrosion damage.

Was 38 on Saturday morning. Clear. I drove.

Supposed to be in the mid to upper 40's mid week here. I'm driving!
-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
German Reimport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
I'm sure there are PLENTY of owners who have driven the cars in snow and salt. Cars are now 8 years old and I haven't seen one thread of salt corrosion damage.
Yes, the Brits typically drive their cars year round.
That is why it is so tough to find a car for sale there which doesn't have a completely rotten suspension.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well I have a question. Around here, if there is any vehicle damage due to a road hazard (such as a pot hole) the city pays for the damages. If this salt is causing so much damage to the cars, and we know its the salt, why isn't the governing body putting the salt down liable for damages? Why do they not supplement another substance to melt the ice?
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
Well I have a question. Around here, if there is any vehicle damage due to a road hazard (such as a pot hole) the city pays for the damages. If this salt is causing so much damage to the cars, and we know its the salt, why isn't the governing body putting the salt down liable for damages? Why do they not supplement another substance to melt the ice?

Like what? I think there's a big difference between the city not maintaining the roads and neglecting potholes thus causing suspension damage, and the city salting the roads to prevent you from wrapping your head around a telephone pole because of loss of control on a slippery road.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post

Like what? I think there's a big difference between the city not maintaining the roads and neglecting potholes thus causing suspension damage, and the city salting the roads to prevent you from wrapping your head around a telephone pole because of loss of control on a slippery road.
Right, I agree there is a big difference between the two, and there is a great public benefit from salting, but is there not some other product or chemical that could replace salt? Espically since the salt is so damaging to vehicles? Definitely not trying to start an argument here, just curious
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Right, I agree there is a big difference between the two, and there is a great public benefit from salting, but is there not some other product or chemical that could replace salt? Espically since the salt is so damaging to vehicles? Definitely not trying to start an argument here, just curious
You know, there probably is a better product that's safer for vehicles but I'll bet you it's wicked more expensive. Then again, your guess is as good as mine on that.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

There is...heat.

Hot ice, I heat up the ice cubes. It's the best of both worlds.

Or glycol like they use to de-ice airplanes, but that is not cheap and has other downsides.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADLGTNS View Post
There is...heat.

Hot ice, I heat up the ice cubes. It's the best of both worlds.

Or glycol like they use to de-ice airplanes, but that is not cheap and has other downsides.
Not sure how much HEAT would cost (I think that's expensive ^%*! thought), but glycol is nowhere near cost-effective for the application in question.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

So we're back to square one.........salt. Get a winter beater and put the nice toys away until the spring rains clear the roads of salt and gravel.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Oh man, just thinking about the nightmare of trying to use heat to melt all the ice.....yeah might as well just use the salt :P
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

I know some of you guys drive you Loti year-round, but I cringe when I see an expensive sports car out in the slop. To each his own, right? It's a free coun........er........well, not really anymore, but to each his own anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
It's a free coun........er........well, not really anymore, but to each his own anyway.
hahaha very true

And drive mine pretty much year round, but we only see snow maybe 2-3 times a year, and my Elise stays put up until all of that is melted and gone, usually its such a little amount it never sticks or requires any salting. Occasionally (every 4-5 years) we'll get one BAD storm. Its funny because we literally have about 200 accidents and even more cars run off the road during those times because people have hardley ever driven in those conditions.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here is a bit of info for our city. It's generally too cold for salt to be effective here. Trust me, the 'sanding chip mixture' will keep you off the road with a nice car...

Salt management plan FAQ

Although there is ongoing research into the use of alternative materials for winter maintenance, road salts continue to be the most cost-effective de-icers.

The City believes in using the right amount of salt or sanding product in the right place and at the right time.

•The use of sand or salt is dependent on road surface temperatures and weather conditions.
•When road surface temperatures are between 0 and -10 degrees Celsius, salt is used to melt accumulated snow and ice.
•For road surface temperatures below -5 degrees Celsius, a sanding chip mixture (3% salt, 97% fine gravel) is used.
All sanding trucks are equipped with automatic controls that spread a pre-determined amount of material depending on road conditions. Under certain conditions salt or calcium chloride brine may be applied to roads or bridges just before a snowfall is expected. This treatment prevents snow and ice from adhering to the road or bridge surface, reducing the amount of salt or sanding chips needed during the snowfall.

1. What are road salts?

Road salts include sodium chloride (NaCl), calcium chloride (CaCl2), potassium chloride (KCl) and magnesium chloride (MgCl2). The City of Calgary only uses sodium chloride and calcium chloride. Roads salts used for snow and ice control may be solid or liquid brines.

5. How much road salt does The City of Calgary use?

The City applies approximately 30,000 to 40,000 tonnes of road salts annually in order to keep Calgary on the move in difficult winter driving conditions.
'00 Esprit V8
'87 BMW M6 & '84 BMW R100RT
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
hahaha very true

And drive mine pretty much year round, but we only see snow maybe 2-3 times a year, and my Elise stays put up until all of that is melted and gone, usually its such a little amount it never sticks or requires any salting. Occasionally (every 4-5 years) we'll get one BAD storm. Its funny because we literally have about 200 accidents and even more cars run off the road during those times because people have hardley ever driven in those conditions.
Dude, if I lived in TX I'd be DDing my Lotus, too. Ya lucky bastard!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post
Here is a bit of info for our city. It's generally too cold for salt to be effective here. Trust me, the 'sanding chip mixture' will keep you off the road with a nice car...
Yeah, but that sh!t works!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise