Sad Day for my Elise - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #61 (permalink)

Not meant to hijack this thread or go off topic, but for SilverSurfer:

The "Sports Car Shop" is located in Sterling, VA and is a DIY garage with lifts, tire mounting/balance machine, Hunter wheel alignment, paint room, indoor car wash area, and possibly all the tools (air tools, wrenches, sockets, break-bars, etc) you'll need. With that said, I always bring my own set of tools though.

Scott Zetterstrom owns the place and is a great guy. He'll answer all your automative questions and will provide a hand if you need it. He noticed that my "old" 97 BMW Roadster had a bad radiator hose connection before it broke (2-weeks later). Scott will also provide mechanical help (he was able to pull out a stripped oil drain plug) and order parts (new oil drain plug) for you. When I acquired my M Roadster, he gave a hand in loosening the differential drain plug - it was on TIGHT!!! These were minor issues, but you get the point

Scott also has an on-site mechanic that is more than willing to assist you as well; the mechanic showed me how to mount and balance one of my tires!

But if you want them to work on your car, they can do that too.

PM me if you want more info so the thread can get back on topic

Last edited by Hoya08; 11-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Hoya08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #62 (permalink)

I use ramps, but here's what I do: With car in gear and e-brake on, I jack up one side of the car far enough to set the back wheel about halfway up the ramp and place it there. Then I jack up the other side far enough to place the entire ramp under, and I do that. Then I go back to the first side and jack it up the rest of the way so I can place the wheel on the top of that ramp. Done. And safe.
2009 Toyota Rav4 - winter car, also for carrying anything larger than a 2-slot toaster
drchris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #63 (permalink)
3Xtothe0[]

Quote:
Originally Posted by habendanio View Post
I've had the jack helper for a couple years now but haven't used it yet. Is it balanced on the jack then jacked up to meet the two bolts. I've always wondered how secure it would be to be able to lift high enough to put ramps under the tires. Maybe next time you use it you or somebody could post up a video?
had the jac helper for a couple years now but haven't used it...

Very secure, as long as you have a good jac (like a low profile NAPA jac ) I use mine all the time and yes I have rino ramps. It makes life much easier.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #64 (permalink)

Garage
Well I've had it back for a while but this is the first chance I've gotten to post pictures and do a write up on the outcome.

Euromotorcars fixed it up very well, it took a few times of going back and forth for everyone to be on the same page, mainly just convincing my insurance of what it really would cost. In the end they did a great job and even fixed my plinth for me (it was originally sold in NJ and the dealer smashed through it and taped on a plate mount). Jamie from the Lotus Showroom is great to work with and Lamont over at the collision center was very helpful. Without further adieu here is the end result:

Last edited by theyoyomaster; 07-28-2013 at 07:05 AM.
theyoyomaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theyoyomaster View Post
Well I've had it back for a while but this is the first chance I've gotten to post pictures and do a write up on the outcome.

Euromotorcars fixed it up very well, it took a few times of going back and forth for everyone to be on the same page, mainly just convincing my insurance of what it really would cost. In the end they did a great job and even fixed my plinth for me (it was originally sold in NJ and the dealer smashed through it and taped on a plate mount). Jamie from the Lotus Showroom is great to work with and Lamont over at the collision center was very helpful. Without further adieu here is the end result:

[Oh wait, so now we need to wait for mod approval]
Glad to hear you are finally whole again! Have you picked up some new ramps yet?

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #66 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Glad to hear you are finally whole again! Have you picked up some new ramps yet?
The ramps weren't the issue, it was the painted shop floor. I found a different one where they have a wheel lift I can use.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoya08 View Post
Not meant to hijack this thread or go off topic, but for SilverSurfer:

The "Sports Car Shop" is located in Sterling, VA and is a DIY garage with lifts, tire mounting/balance machine, Hunter wheel alignment, paint room, indoor car wash area, and possibly all the tools (air tools, wrenches, sockets, break-bars, etc) you'll need. With that said, I always bring my own set of tools though.

Scott Zetterstrom owns the place and is a great guy. He'll answer all your automative questions and will provide a hand if you need it. He noticed that my "old" 97 BMW Roadster had a bad radiator hose connection before it broke (2-weeks later). Scott will also provide mechanical help (he was able to pull out a stripped oil drain plug) and order parts (new oil drain plug) for you. When I acquired my M Roadster, he gave a hand in loosening the differential drain plug - it was on TIGHT!!! These were minor issues, but you get the point

Scott also has an on-site mechanic that is more than willing to assist you as well; the mechanic showed me how to mount and balance one of my tires!

But if you want them to work on your car, they can do that too.

PM me if you want more info so the thread can get back on topic
That's similar to what I have now. Most military bases have auto shops where you can work on cars yourself, similar concept but its about $6 per hour for pretty much everything. The issue is budget cuts closed the one at my base and I'm yet to find another one in my area that has a lift I can use for the Elise.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise