Thank goodness its winter - problem solving help needed - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thank goodness its winter - problem solving help needed

I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at a dead resistor pack or blower, perhaps you guys can help me.

So two nights ago, I hopped in my car after a shopping trip and noticed the air wasn't working anymore. It was working on the way there, but not on the way back. This is different than the thermostat freezing over situation, I've seen that on long drives between cities, and this was a short 10 min jog.

Yesterday, I tried again, no luck, still dead. So I tried a few mid drive experiments: when I turn the fan knob, nothing detectable changes. The other buttons seem to work. I turned the knob to 1 then clicked on the AC - I could hear the change behind me and feel the loss in power... just not feel the cold air. I pressed the recirculate button and that tiny passive air you get just from driving with the vent open went away. Those buttons seem to still be working. When I turned the fan knob, I don't hear any fan noise. As for the temperature selector knob, I didn't test anything (didn't see how I could detect the results)

In other news, I'm long overdue for an air filter change. Last oil change, I wanted to do it, but time was short and I skipped it. With the super charger they relocated my air filter to be EVEN HARDER to access. Hard to believe it's possible I know... Could that have caused any issues?
ithurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Should have noted, I feel like the AC button and recirc button working rules out switch pack. And I haven't checked any of the fuses, I can do that later tonight.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Apart from fuses I'll add one more thought. Possibly just something loose.

The other day I used my four-way flashers. After that my turn signals stopped working. I checked the fuses and they were OK. A few hours later everything started working perfectly again.

I searched on Lotus Talk and noticed that I'm not the only one that had had issues with the four-way flashers. I know your problem is with the Fan but I wouldn't be surprised if the same "solution" works.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My guess, it's the resistor pack. A quick search will reveal an inexpensive clam off DIY.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Winter so I left this on the backburner while work flogged me

I checked the fuses a while back, they weren't the culprit.

Anyway, I did a check last night and my second post might not be 100% correct. I was at highway speeds and when I hit the recirc button, now the external air wouldn't close off (so I was still being blown by a trickle of air). Haven't tested the AC to see a loss of power again.

Does this still sound like a resistor issue?
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

New revelation: I had planned to replace the resistor this weekend (guess I'll keep it for the future when it eventually breaks) but yesterday the fan started working yesterday with no action on my part (Other than leaving it on 3 when I turned the car off). What connections should I be checking to prevent it breaking again? It was still working this morning and AC definitely works
Old 02-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Still betting on the resistor pack. I think mine did the off and on thing, then off forever. Before taking half the car apart, look up on this forum the fix where you build a new pack and relocate it. It will take you a little searching for the parts and some fabrication time to make the mounting plate, but well worth it. I also asked (I think in that same thread) about slight substitutions for the resistors because one was not readily available. My substitution works fine. Anyway get the parts (and a piece of heavy wire) and do the fabs before taking the clam off. Then it's a one day affair.
wdonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sounds like the resistor pack to me.

Mine did the on/off thing for a couple of weeks before finally failing completely. I also could smell the plastic insulation burning sometimes presumably because the connections are heating up due to the weak connection. I replaced mine with the factory upgrade, which is much, much better design than the original resistor pack (and not that expensive) because I didn't want to mess around with trying to fabricate something. It is a massive PITA to replace because of the number of components that need to be removed or moved and getting the heater box in is a pain, but it is doable in a weekend...
bryanf650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Elise