To Trade or Not To Trade
I can't believe I'm even considering this, but I also can't get it out of my head.
I have a mint condition 2005 Elise with just under 7,000 miles on it. Track and Touring packs, as well as a short-throw shifter. Runs great, and people who see it can't believe it's an 11-year old car.
And I barely ever drive it! If it's raining or snowing, I don't take it out. If I need to park somewhere and I know that parallel parking on the street is the only option, I won't take it out. If it's a long, inter-city drive, I will choose another car.
Basically, the only time I ever drive it is if I'm going for a "drive," or rarely I'll drive to work where I can do head-in parking. But even that's on a public street and worries me.
So the idea came to me this weekend to do a trade. Sell the Lotus, and purchase a 10-year old 911. Why?
1) The Porsche has bumpers, so I can park it on the street.
2) The Porsche is comfortable, so I can use it for long drives.
3) The Porsche would not have me as afraid of rain/snow.
That said (and I do love Porsches):
1) A Porsche is relatively common and less interesting.
2) A Porsche in my price range will likely be a coupe so I'm giving up the open-air experience.
3) A Porsche is fast, but lacks the visceral driving experience of the Lotus. (But then, that's also the problem with the Lotus!)
4) A Porsche will be more expensive to maintain - I do a lot of the work on the Lotus myself, not sure I can do that on the German beast.
Has anyone done this trade in either direction? Any suggestions about how I should think about this, or what I am missing in my thoughts? If you are familiar with the market for Lotus and Porsche, is what I am contemplating even possible?
Talk me out of doing this - or talk me into it!