Conversion from crank to electric windows - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Conversion from crank to electric windows

Hey all,

I've checked around and nobody seems to really have the information for this (that is posted).

I have the crank windows, and have picked up a pair of the electrical switches that are on the door. However, does anyone know what else I would need to make the swap?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
cheungms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Apart from the whole window/motor assembly and door switches, that's it, as long as the switch fits into the same opening in the door panel as the manual crank.
Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungms View Post
Hey all,

I've checked around and nobody seems to really have the information for this (that is posted).

I have the crank windows, and have picked up a pair of the electrical switches that are on the door. However, does anyone know what else I would need to make the swap?

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I wonder if I can pick up the motor / wiring from Lotus. The switch does indeed fit into the same opening

Edit: can't find the motor / wiring on Lotus Garage - any ideas on what section it would be listed under?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheungms View Post
I wonder if I can pick up the motor / wiring from Lotus. The switch does indeed fit into the same opening

Edit: can't find the motor / wiring on Lotus Garage - any ideas on what section it would be listed under?
It's more than the motor and wiring (actually most of the wiring to the door should already be there). You pretty much need the whole window assembly as the mechanism for lifting the glass is completely different. Best bet is to get the window assemblies (including motor, etc.) from a car that is being parted out.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tim: you are correct. Much easier to do on a parting out car, especially if you're like me and can't find someone local to trade with. Also, be sure to check along the sill of the bottom of your door opening (in the middle) for a bundle of wires that should contain A) the lead for your motor and B) lead for your window switch. This was bundled into a foam wrap on my car. However, if you have a car to trade with, it *IS* possible to do and does not hurt anything. Also, I have my mechanical lift / window cranks for sale here: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/...windows-95285/

Here is my progress so far:
1) Remove door panel, window cranks

2) Compare this schematic against what you have. The top two components (actually 3 pieces) come out of the door, and the bottom piece is the regulator / motor assembly.

3) Unbolt all bolts that connect the scissor-lift system to the window frame

4) Remove the lift and unbolt everything. Should be easy to reach in and place the leads in the right places now. Now you are missing these bolts from an electric window car:

This is what was on my car. There are 3 bolts, too far apart for the lift mechanism from the motor.

This is as far as I have gotten. Feel free to chime in if you have comments / suggestions.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went ahead and weighed both crank and electric windows, but my bathroom scale did not have the precision to tell the difference. Each side's assembly weighs 4 lbs.

Here is the conclusion.

Before you start, make sure you remove the foam off the electric wiring, which is the most PIA part of this process. There should be 2 zip-ties, which you will need to cut and remove.

Here is some more information for the removal / install:

Numbers 1-5, 8 all need to be removed, along with two other nuts off of the base (where 8 is). These are all the bolts that hold the mechanical lift onto the car. Make sure you have the window all the way up, then remove the lift mechanism.

6 & 7 will be new mounting locations for the motor / lift assembly.

You will need to remove a copper or aluminum piece from behind the door handle:

This will need to be cut in order to make room for the electrical motor mount:

An aluminum piece will need to be bolted (using existing bolts) to the window base:

This will be your new mounting point for the electrical lift to the window (rather than using the mechanical system's rollers.

You will need to have someone hold the window up, while you first put in the long elevator mechanism (to the right) and then put in your motor / regulator.

The second side took me about 1/3-1/2 of the amount of time it took the first time - GOOD LUCK!! I would rate this about 5 out of 10 in terms of difficulty level, mostly due to the tight space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Resource Center > Lotus Resource Center(LRC) > -Electrical-(LRC)

« - | - »