First things first - Woohoo!
I purchased ekological's HID kit (see details here
) in the 50 watt, 8000k color configuration.
What makes this kit so wonderful is that no wiring has to be cut or spliced - because an adapter harness is included...
The install is a total plug-n-play!
Here's what's in the kit (there are some generic mounting also included - but you don't need any of that!):
I'm not going to go into any specific detail regarding the installation since both Eko and Michael Sands have detailed HID installation notes. Total install time, including taking all these pictures and having a couple of breaks was just under 4 hours... I really took my time. If I did it again I could do it under 2 hours.
The installation went smoothly with the exception of a couple of items that might unexpectedly cause you grief:
1. Pushing the HID wires through the existing rubber grommet is almost impossible with only ten fingers (by yourself). Get a helper!
2. A drill bit extender will come in handy drilling the right hand hole for mounting the passenger side ballast.
3. I noticed (Eko mentions this in a recent thread) that my passenger side wheel liner has no electronics riveted to it. This seems to be a production line change.
4. I replaced the high-beam lamps and corner lamps with SilverStar and LED's at the same time I upgraded the low-beams to HIDs. I found it easier to remove the entire lamp assembly to gain access to the lamp clips and wiring connectors. It's only 3 bolts on the bottom and one side bolt on the top.
5. Go for a test drive down your driveway before replacing the cover - rachet in hand to verify lamp elevation. I set the height to what I thought was correct, then buttoned everything up and saw that the lamps are pointing far too low. Get it right the first time.
6. Finally - say goodbye to ANY AM radio reception. Buzz on all frequencies from 550khz -> 1710khz. FM is fine.
Driver's side ballast mounting location:
Passenger side ballast mounting location (before/after):
Driver side HID, Passenger side stock:
All done - check it out!!!
All in all I'm 100% satisfied. It looks like a 50k+ car now IMHO...
p.s. I'm posting a separate thread regarding the LED / SilverStars