The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

another flat black

20K views 67 replies 40 participants last post by  michelmk2 
#1 ·
Since I promised in another post not long time ago to send some photos of my flat black Lotus, here you go.
Car is not finished though, CF custom splitter and diffuser are on the way as well as present CF access panels will change shape and gloss a bit.
Sorry for crappy photos but I took them at 6 am, afer 19h of non stop working on car.
Yellow logo badges on wheels are black now.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
THere is a guy over on the volvo forums that does the same thing with Volvo wagons. Been thinking about doing that to my wagon...I am not kidding...Never thought about how it would look on an Elise...

I would love to see that lit up at night. Any pics?

#8 ·
details on how you did the lights. and the split bar on top of the clam

#27 ·
every single element is painted. Dashboard is covered with leather, plastic interior pieces are flat black too. I need time to finish dark red CF door panels and center console.

who makes that front clam I think I seen pictures elsewhere. Nice work.
front clam is custom made by me, donor was Elise clam ... I have mold just in case of ....

Where can I get that engine grill cover and for the radiator cover? Both look outstanding!!
you mean - mesh grills ? they were shipped overseas, but I think I can get more of them at the end of Sept. Send me PM if interested

wow, love the indicator led! and what up with the grills over the ratiator, tell me more about that mod!, '

looking for more descriptions and details,
the grills are similar to Exige mesh grills, they are glued. Access panels were custom made since they are shorter now.

LED turn signals are sex.... How much wider is the body kit?
Only lower part of the front clam is wider. Telling the truth I havent measure it (maybe 2" wider on each side) but guess that the bottom width is close to Exige front clam dimension.

#22 ·
Looks more shiny than Alans...

#24 ·
wow, love the indicator led! and what up with the grills over the ratiator, tell me more about that mod!, '

awesome!

looking for more descriptions and details,

#28 ·
thanks but more question,

the on my elise, there is a center bridge from the front of the clam to the windshield. you have a duel bridge, you made that your self?

#31 ·
You do great work!

I think you'd sell a lot of those radiator and engine grills if you made them. The front grill as well. A lot of us are not fans of the Elise plastic grills. I'll PM you and if you decide to get more, I'm in.

#33 ·
What did you do in regards to wiring for the LED's? Did you use the OEM plugs and just retro fitted them. What type of LED's etc... Please provide details very clean work.

#36 ·
That would only work for 2005-06 models. The 2007+ have sealed headlights and you can't remove the cover. Unless you have really long, skinny fingers you wouldn't be able to place the LEDs.
nothing is impossible :) 05-06 headlamp cover is sealed too ... and I manage to do this :)
I used OEM plugs, I have made extra plug inside the lamp housing because turning light harness is too short. in this case when you remove headlamp cover you have to unplug 2 wires from LED lights. LED stip is 24 cm long but you can have them in different lenght too. I was thinking about placing LED around emblemish (SP?) ring to have circle indicator but decide to get "broken heart" shape. I think it looks better

I wanted to compare Serebo1's car, so I found these pics from his prior thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/thinking-going-flat-black-done-27487/index28.html#post517393

Both cars look great. The paint on Marius' car seems to reflect some additional colors, which I particularly like--might just be the environment that the picture was taken in, though. The rest of the car looks fantastic, too. Excellent work! :clap::bow:
I think its enviroment and my crappy camera... and it was 6am... sun was rising in Chicago. I havent seen Alan's car in person but from pictures it looks a little bit greyish. Mine is pure black (no other pigment added). I will try to get better pictures later this week, maybe during the weekend.
I have to admit one thing - people dont turn head as often as in case of vivid colors... that's bad - other drivers just simply dont see you on the road

#34 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.