The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Can't buy Sector 111 harness hardware kit .. what now?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  machine.gun.kelly 
#1 ·
Sector 111 is not taking phone or online orders :(

i just acquired a V-force harness bar and 5 point Schroth harness for a stupid good price but no hardware to attach it to the car.

Anyone know an alternative to Sectors hardware kit? Any help would be much appreciated.

Side note:
the harness states not good after 2017 but their fine for HPDE and autocross stuff right?

#5 ·
I actually found MSAR.Co.UK had 1 left in inventory and ordered through their site. Price was the same, shipping a bit more since it's coming from the UK but if it works out that's cool. Hopefully it's legit.

#7 ·
To your side note.

As to the "not good after" - well, no. If Schroth is telling you that they aren't good after a date, it's because in design & testing they found that some sort of degradation happens beyond that date. So it's not a question of how you're using them, they aren't guaranteed to meet their specifications beyond that time.

With a 5 point harness, you should always be using a head & neck restraint and helmet. Your harness angles are very important, make sure you read the instructions carefully and verify that all of your anchor points and the angles for the harnesses from your body are correct. They're also to be used as far as I know only with fixed-position, side mounted, fixed-back seats that carry a proper SFI/FIA rating as well.

A new harness is something like $170 - so as the saying tends to go, is your life worth less than $170?

For HPDE and Autocross you are better off using the safety system that the vehicle comes with (3 point belt, airbags, etc) - unless required by the event that you meet a specific different safety scenario. It seems to come up often enough there should probably be a sticky by someone who actually specializes in such things here. Safety gear isn't a piece-meal scenario where adding a bolt on piece makes you safer. They're all systems designed to be used together to meet a specific overall safety design.

#8 ·
For HPDE and Autocross you are better off using the safety system that the vehicle comes with (3 point belt, airbags, etc) - unless required by the event that you meet a specific different safety scenario.

:scratchhead:

If you're brand new to autocross/HPDE or do it very seldom I agree with this comment. You'll not find the 3pt doing a good job keeping your body in place the more experience you gain.

Edit: definitely agree that care needs to be taken in properly installing 5/6 point if you go that route. If you're going to do it, do it right (and for gawd sakes wear a hans if you have a harness)

#9 ·
The harness is not there to keep your body in place for ergonomics, it's to keep you from dying when you crash. Seat bolsters are a better option for keeping your body in place. If the seat is too big, you can get those molded foam inserts and such. You can also do the 3pt "lock" trick, which most Autocross instructors will show you (move seat back about 2 steps too far, tug sharply on 3pt belt and latch, then move seat up while holding tension). If you don't like that hack, a CG lock is a better approach if you just want some aid in staying in place in the seat.

CG-Lock Autocross/Solo Driving

#10 ·
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree a little bit. Yes the primary purpose of the harness is to keep you safe. Yes seat bolsters are a part of keeping your body in place, but they too are a part of a larger system. (Most) People aren't buying bucket seats with halos and custom foam inserts to keep themselves in place around here. CG lock is an improvement but I think its only so effective.

Knowing the hardware in an elise/exige, I personally would not want to crash in HPDE wearing only the 3 point system. Although I think it has room for improvement, I have seen a case study of a wrecked elise with the sys.6.pack applied for 6 point harness. The harness system held up and the driver walked away.

#11 · (Edited)
Some car clubs do check expiration dates on harnesses during tech inspection at HPDE events. Most (or all?) also check helmets (SA2010 minimum would be typical currently), at least that's been my experience. Best to check with the organizers in advance if there's anything you're not sure about.

#12 ·
To clear up a few things;

I have almost a dozen HPDE's under my belt just not in this car. I was held in place OK in my old Boxster S by using the seatbelt trick and locking into place but it just didn't do enough. That being the case, it took me 3 years to get 12 visits under my belt, so it's a very infrequent thing. Is it consensus that maybe i should just sell this stuff? If autocross is nearly as fun as HPDEs, just cheaper its something i very well could be doing on a regular basis. If thats the case, these belts would work for the rest of the year and i could replace them.

I wonder if we should start a thread on the positives, negatives and appropriate situations for 4, 5 and 6 point harness'?

Anyways, I appreciate everyones insight.

#13 ·
It's all a matter of risk management and your comfort with it.

The Elise 3-point works very well, the pre-tensioner is mighty powerful and it really anchors people in the seat, to the point of causing bruising. I've seen how it works, unfortunately, because an Elise driver did something very silly at one of our track days.

I personally use a 4-point ASM harness for HPDE, and make sure that it's not aged out. A properly fastened ASM 4-point should be as safe as the 3-point while helping to keep you more anchored in the seat - I gained a few seconds a lap due to not having to hang onto the steering wheel and feeling the feedback due to a gentle touch, which wasn't possible with the seatbelt. If you fasten it improperly, you can get hurt more in a collision. The key is that you get the waist straps super tight before tightening the shoulder straps at all. If the shoulder straps are pulling the belt/buckle up, you're doing it wrong. One of the shoulder straps unzips in an ASM harness in a collision, so it effectively turns into a 3-point which makes you slump forward, preventing submarining.

The 5 and 6 point harnesses don't have a breakaway shoulder strap like the 4-point ASM, so you absolutely must use a HANS device with them, going without one endangers your life. Of course, 6-point + HANS is the best option because the sub belts guarantee you won't submarine.

4-point non-ASM harnesses are death, never use them.

I'm also not a fan of the V-force harness bar, because it pivots forward on the seat belt bolt mounts, and that V which is meant to prevent the pivoting engages against plastic and the seats. It's more work, but you can get the OEM harness bar from the dealer, which bolts to the roll hoop from behind and has no way to move forward in a collision, even if the bolts were to fall out.

#14 ·
Starting to think selling this setup is my best bet. I guess i'll start looking at prices and figure out what a good ask is. Thanks for the insight everyone.

#17 ·
Sector111's entire restraint offering was developed in conjunction with Joe@HMS who are the Schroth importer for the US. Joe is a recognized restraint expert in the US and works with all levels of motorsport. The SYSpack was developed in response to a need for 6pt anti-sub belts. S111 hardware kit was developed in order to make the installation easier and safer. S111 iterated the harnessbar 3 times to land on the current solution - thanks to market and Joe's suggestions. For the vast majority of Lotus owners, the 4pt ASM is the best solution when coupled with a good seat or harness grommet slots (this was another HMS recommendation). Joe came to S111's shop and gave one of the first Tech Seminars to the Lotus community on safety. He's a great resource and someone that I have counted on to scrutinize safety offerings that I developed.

#18 ·
Shout out to MSAR out of UK, received the kit 7 days before estimated delivery. I just need to figure out if I'm installing or selling the unit as a hole since it sounds like I may not need it for my type of usage. Gots me some thinkin' to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.