Finally know what it's like to be you guys (not in a good way) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Finally know what it's like to be you guys (not in a good way)

So this evening I was driving home in my Mustang on a major highway. There was a huge accident a mile or so ahead so it was 6 lanes of stop and go traffic. We were creeping a long. A semi/18-wheeler that had been following me for a long time all of a sudden got with in inches of my bumper on one of the stops. I honk my horn and I wave my hand out the window trying to get his attention. The car in front of me pulls forward 1 feet. I move forward just a few inches thinking I'll get some breathing room. The guy just creeps up on me this time again with just inches to spare. Honk. Honk. Wave wave. People around him honked and waved. It seems like he acknowledge me. Car in front of me travels 3-6 feet this time. I move up about the same. Then BAM. smacks me.

I bring it up only because I always read stories about Lotus owners and not being seeing and always being afraid of not being seen. I'm still a lotus dreamer not an owner, but I feel like at least prepares me mentally right?

After I get to the shoulder. I notice he doesn't get over. I wave my hands. He rolls down the window: "**** you. There's no damage. I'm not stopping." I try to take his license plate picture when he starts to flash me. So I move more center of his truck (traffic is not moving), and he actually gunned and got speed for the few yards he could before he came up behind the car in front of him. I had to run out of the way. Luckily my picture was in focus some how!! My heart was racing the entire time!! Something so big on your ass like that and then for him to be a dick.

EDIT: Damage - scratches nicks and stuff. Hard to tell in the dark.
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm confused was it the mustang or semi that hit u?
gooberschnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

He was in a mustang, the semi tapped him in the rear and refused to stop. Assuming the mustang stopped at that point and call the police, it is a hit and run. If the mustang went home without calling the police then the crime is "failing to file a police report".
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

When I see a driver who is on my tail or driving oddly I try to switch lanes and get away from them. I don't try to flag them nor indicate my concern.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppe View Post
So this evening I was driving home in my Mustang on a major highway. There was a huge accident a mile or so ahead so it was 6 lanes of stop and go traffic. We were creeping a long. A semi/18-wheeler that had been following me for a long time all of a sudden got with in inches of my bumper on one of the stops. I honk my horn and I wave my hand out the window trying to get his attention. The car in front of me pulls forward 1 feet. I move forward just a few inches thinking I'll get some breathing room. The guy just creeps up on me this time again with just inches to spare. Honk. Honk. Wave wave. People around him honked and waved. It seems like he acknowledge me. Car in front of me travels 3-6 feet this time. I move up about the same. Then BAM. smacks me.

I bring it up only because I always read stories about Lotus owners and not being seeing and always being afraid of not being seen. I'm still a lotus dreamer not an owner, but I feel like at least prepares me mentally right?

After I get to the shoulder. I notice he doesn't get over. I wave my hands. He rolls down the window: "**** you. There's no damage. I'm not stopping." I try to take his license plate picture when he starts to flash me. So I move more center of his truck (traffic is not moving), and he actually gunned and got speed for the few yards he could before he came up behind the car in front of him. I had to run out of the way. Luckily my picture was in focus some how!! My heart was racing the entire time!! Something so big on your ass like that and then for him to be a dick.

EDIT: Damage - scratches nicks and stuff. Hard to tell in the dark.
Dude, if it went down as you described (and I'm not doubting you), it sounds like the guy was high or something to be acting so strangely. If you got his info PLEASE do yourself and all of us a favor and pursue the matter.

Personally if it was me I probably would have snapped and tried to pull him out of the cab. Prick.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

I also get out of the way of crazy drivers they are not worth it.

I would file a report with police. Your post is the reason I drive a range rover as a daily driver. People are jerks and the range rover gets way more respect than the Elise.

Ed
lotus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

same here, I try to get away. not worth it to be around the idiots if you can avoid them. good luck and I hope you had the police come to the scene.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

File with the police. In CO they actually don't require you to wait for the police to come, if there wasn't an injury, they would rather keep traffic moving and have you file a report online later.
Vulcan Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

That is unreal...very sorry to hear...hope it works out for you...

www.91MR2.multiply.com
91MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

The dude hit and ran your vehicle THEN attempted to run down your person. Since you have his plate, he should already be in jail.
cawdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

If somebody tried to run me over, I would have followed him while on the phone with 911. I don't think a big rig can out run a Mustang.
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
agirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Hey thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the the confusion:

Me - - Mustang
Other guy - - Semi

Semi (him) hit Mustang (me) from behind.

I filed the police report today. It's California though so things never seem to be taken seriously unless you are bloody and on need an ambulance. We will see what happens.

As for the getting out of the lanes. I usually try to get out of the lane as well, but with the accident that was a mile or so ahead of us it would have been really tough to get over; you know how it gets when an accident happens and no one wants to let anyone over because they'll have to take a second longer to get through traffic.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Like I said I filed the police report today. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My insurance is a $1000 deductible \ - I need to take it to Ford to get it checked out and check if there is damage with the foam or any of the non-visible stuff.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Find his trucking company and file with them directly! Better still wait to you get copy of police report and include that to get their attention. Must have been a Chevy guy in the truck. That's what you folks get pissin on each other all the time!
12 Jaguar XK Coupe Claret Red, Caramel Leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

vulnerability is tough. i live in an area where 99% of the time i can use the highly evasive capabilty of my car to lose someone or get out of their way.. As long as i have an escape path - no one can follow me anymore if i don't want them to. Thanks BOE.

But you were trapped like a rat. Sorry for the PTSD - i get the adreneline pumping too.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Find his trucking company and file with them directly! Better still wait to you get copy of police report and include that to get their attention. Must have been a Chevy guy in the truck. That's what you folks get pissin on each other all the time!
I should have known!!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear this, but it happens all the time..

I've learned not to even reason with @ssholes. I've had more than my fair share of such incidents too. People are f*cking crazy in Los Angeles. Lesson? Get out of the way. The sooner they're out of my life, the better.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)

Why I carry reason 8,743.

Go after the bastard. Next time, get the plates of those cars around you for witnesses.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
pax

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Why I carry reason 8,743.
???

so, what? you would've shot him?

2007 Lotus Exige S - SOLD
2005 Lotus Elise - SOLD
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

No - freak him out. Kiss him. Make sure you get a lot of tongue in there. Then tell him you got it on video, and you will post on utube and mail to his buddies- he'll pay up. Extortion is a highly underrated way of getting some results..Of course , this could go wrong if he's gay.
Lotus Elise #134 - June/2004 build date - BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 336.4bhp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/

Last edited by komiko; 01-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
???

so, what? you would've shot him?

I doubt he would have even though the idiot deserved one in the knee at least (but I'll let the OP answer for himself). I think the insinuation is that there's a lot of moronic and dangerous people out there and carrying is a very smart idea because of that.

Personally, I don't need that many reasons to carry, but hey..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)