The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Finally know what it's like to be you guys (not in a good way)

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  ee.engineer 
#1 ·
So this evening I was driving home in my Mustang on a major highway. There was a huge accident a mile or so ahead so it was 6 lanes of stop and go traffic. We were creeping a long. A semi/18-wheeler that had been following me for a long time all of a sudden got with in inches of my bumper on one of the stops. I honk my horn and I wave my hand out the window trying to get his attention. The car in front of me pulls forward 1 feet. I move forward just a few inches thinking I'll get some breathing room. The guy just creeps up on me this time again with just inches to spare. Honk. Honk. Wave wave. People around him honked and waved. It seems like he acknowledge me. Car in front of me travels 3-6 feet this time. I move up about the same. Then BAM. smacks me.

I bring it up only because I always read stories about Lotus owners and not being seeing and always being afraid of not being seen. I'm still a lotus dreamer not an owner, but I feel like at least prepares me mentally right?

After I get to the shoulder. I notice he doesn't get over. I wave my hands. He rolls down the window: "**** you. There's no damage. I'm not stopping." I try to take his license plate picture when he starts to flash me. So I move more center of his truck (traffic is not moving), and he actually gunned and got speed for the few yards he could before he came up behind the car in front of him. I had to run out of the way. Luckily my picture was in focus some how!! My heart was racing the entire time!! Something so big on your ass like that and then for him to be a dick.

EDIT: Damage - scratches nicks and stuff. Hard to tell in the dark.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm confused was it the mustang or semi that hit u?

#3 ·
He was in a mustang, the semi tapped him in the rear and refused to stop. Assuming the mustang stopped at that point and call the police, it is a hit and run. If the mustang went home without calling the police then the crime is "failing to file a police report".

#5 ·
Dude, if it went down as you described (and I'm not doubting you), it sounds like the guy was high or something to be acting so strangely. If you got his info PLEASE do yourself and all of us a favor and pursue the matter.

Personally if it was me I probably would have snapped and tried to pull him out of the cab. Prick.

#12 ·
Hey thanks for all the replies. Sorry for the the confusion:

Me - - Mustang
Other guy - - Semi

Semi (him) hit Mustang (me) from behind.

I filed the police report today. It's California though so things never seem to be taken seriously unless you are bloody and on need an ambulance. We will see what happens.

As for the getting out of the lanes. I usually try to get out of the lane as well, but with the accident that was a mile or so ahead of us it would have been really tough to get over; you know how it gets when an accident happens and no one wants to let anyone over because they'll have to take a second longer to get through traffic.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. Like I said I filed the police report today. I'm trying to figure out what to do. My insurance is a $1000 deductible \:crazyeyes - I need to take it to Ford to get it checked out and check if there is damage with the foam or any of the non-visible stuff.

#13 ·
Find his trucking company and file with them directly! Better still wait to you get copy of police report and include that to get their attention. Must have been a Chevy guy in the truck. That's what you folks get pissin on each other all the time!

#14 ·
vulnerability is tough. i live in an area where 99% of the time i can use the highly evasive capabilty of my car to lose someone or get out of their way.. As long as i have an escape path - no one can follow me anymore if i don't want them to. Thanks BOE.

But you were trapped like a rat. Sorry for the PTSD - i get the adreneline pumping too.

#16 ·
Sorry to hear this, but it happens all the time..

I've learned not to even reason with @ssholes. I've had more than my fair share of such incidents too. People are f*cking crazy in Los Angeles. Lesson? Get out of the way. The sooner they're out of my life, the better.

#19 · (Edited)
No - freak him out. Kiss him. Make sure you get a lot of tongue in there. Then tell him you got it on video, and you will post on utube and mail to his buddies- he'll pay up. Extortion is a highly underrated way of getting some results..Of course , this could go wrong if he's gay.

#21 ·
No, the damages to the rear end of your car are extensive and your necks been aching ever since. You just got rear ended by a semi truck. ;)

#22 ·
I could draw up a contract for the meeting (which will have netted you $100k in profit) you missed because of the accident ;).
From what I hear, without proof or witnesses, its hard to get anything out of these accidents that leaves the person at fault unscathed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.