GoPro Hero 5: don't bother - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

GoPro Hero 5: don't bother

Got the new Hero 5, features looked great.

However an (almost) essential feature has been removed. It used to be the case that if you were shooting from inside the car, you could use the spot meter setting to get good video, and the camera could be turned off/on again with the setting retained.

With the new Hero5, you can auto expose to any point on the frame (a customized spot meter), but only if you have access to the back of the camera (so track bar mount sucks) and furthermore, every time you power off the camera you'll need to re-apply the spot meter.

Figured I'd let anyone else know that likes to use these things for video.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:38 AM
craigyirush

I agree this is annoying, but did the old spot meter stay on even when you powered the camera off?

Also, is the image quality with exposure control on the 5 better than the old spot control? That might matter more to people than the inconvenience of having to access it from the back and having to re-set. I'd also think that being able to move the area exposed would be a plus.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

Yes, the old spot meter did stay on when you power cycled the camera. All those things you mentioned are overall pluses, but it really doesn't matter if you cannot retain the setting.

When I mount the camera on the track bar its pretty difficult to see the rear screen and use this new feature. You could do it prior to mounting, but then as soon as the camera powers down you have to do it again.

Or if you are in a situation where you have gloves on and need to power cycle the camera

Or if you are in a situtation where you have a housing on the camera (water depth > 10m) and need to power cycle the camera.

Or replace "need to power cycle the camera" with "the camera randomly shuts off". I've also had that happen a number of times, as well with prior gopro cameras

If none of those apply then great, but I figured the post was especially relevant here because many of us mount the camera in car.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 10:07 PM

If your camera is connected to your phone via the Capture app, you should be able to view your camera display, as well as adjust settings....Did you know it also has telemetry built in?

'07 Exige S - Graphite Gray
'13 Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
'15 Acura RDX Tech
'15 MINI Cooper S w/JCW Tuning Kit
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

You can adjust many settings, but auto exposure is not one of them. You can manually set the exposure via capture (i believe its in the protune settings), but that doesn't really solve the problem. It would be nice if you could actually use auto exposure through the capture app, that would at least be a work around.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 AM
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
You can adjust many settings, but auto exposure is not one of them. You can manually set the exposure via capture (i believe its in the protune settings), but that doesn't really solve the problem. It would be nice if you could actually use auto exposure through the capture app, that would at least be a work around.
So if you were sitting in your car before going on track and the camera was mounted to the bar (which, as you point out, limits access to the touch screen) you could still manually set the exposure control with the capture app on the phone?

If so, wouldn't that solve the problem? Or am I missing something? Also, don't you always have to set exposure control manually?

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

So i just had a day out to try a couple of things

With hero 4/3/2/1, you set it to "spot meter" and the exposure automatically adjusts based on the center of the screen. Its set it and forget it.

With Hero 5, that is gone. You can set the exposure to any point but only if you have access to the back of the screen, and it resets when you power cycle the camera. There appears to be some good news in that you can manually adjust the overall exposure down, and it will in fact stay that way on a power cycle. Unclear if this is an "auto exposure" adjustment or an exposure lock... either way it IS some kind of workaround even if annoying. I have some hero4, hero5 "default" and hero5 "manually adjust the exposure all the way down" footage I need to compare now.

Its just infinitely less convenient IMO, especially when I've got enough other things to keep track of on a day of driving.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 01:29 PM
cph

Garage
Bit off subject ... but would it be possible to use a GPH5 as a rear vision camera ?
Thinking that it may be able to use the "capture' app to display GPH5 Live ?

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune
ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
He's on fire!

you probably could, although my experience with the capture app is that its a little bit flaky.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 AM

I think the lag would be an issue, so becuase of the 1-2 second lag, you run the risk of hitting something before realizing you were already too close.

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Will work for tires

Garage
The Capture App drains the battery on the GPH5 faster than you'd expect. Battery level drops almost as fast as you can count. Not feasible for rear-view use.

'06 Laser Blue Elise: Sport and Touring Pack

Elise/Exige Production Numbers
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 AM

I skipped 5. Have 4 Black.
The reason for skipping 5 was mostly because it wasn't much of an upgrade but a chock full of bloat.
I shoot in 4K, but mostly in 1440p60. I love super high resolution with high fps for a 'live' feel(not 'cinematic' 24 fps blurry mess). Matter of taste, I suppose.

5 Black doesn't have 4K60. And at that point, you really need the new HEVC/H.265 codec as well, since the file size gets HUUUUGE(4K30 and 1440p60 at 60Mbps means ~4GB every 9 minutes or so). There weren't any SoC available with hardware HEVC/H.265 capability until very recently, btw.
And, while you're pounding away at those resolution/fps, it draws a lot of current, and that is super taxing to the battery. My battery lasts maybe 35 minutes with WiFi on, and it gets hot, further reducing battery capacity. Thankfully, trackday sessions are 20~30 minutes long, but I still have to recharge it between every session or swap between multiple batteries. I, once, (accidentally?) ran with charging cable left on the gopro on my helmet, so I guess I didn't have the battery 'range anxiety' that time. Probably not cool for POV cam under safety grounds, but probably viable for harness bar/roll hoop mount setup.

Ultimately, I'm waiting for 4K60 capable action camera with hardware HEVC/H.265 with ample battery in a nice form factor with good accessory support. I don't really care too much about image stabilization as long as the camera can shoot fast enough so every frame is sharp enough. And with good low light performance! Indoor footage at 4K is almost unacceptably grainy as well as blurry.
The GPS/IMU on the gopro 5 is actually supposedly very good, btw. At 18Hz, it beats the hell out of typical phone GPS (1Hz) and most entry level external GPS (5~10Hz).

I'm hoping GoPro 6 will have those features, or I'll give Sony or any one of those chinese companies a shot if they can manage to make a solid product. Either that, or I'll go with one of those 360 degree cameras since I'm a huge fan of VR, hopefully that can film in stereo for ~$500 range, which I think is a bit of a stretch...

On a side note, you really do need a fairly powerful computer to edit 4K/1440p60 footage. You also need an editing software capable of utilizing GPU. I've used Sony Vegas Pro(now owned by MAGIX), which barely supports GPU rendering, to edit my footage on a mid-tier desktop, and it routinely drove me nuts.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Phantom Black - Starshield, Touring Pack, Track Pack, LSD, Premier Gold Pack
2008 BMW 535i - Sport Pkg, SportAT, etc

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > General Discussion (Lotus related)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.